POSTCARDS FROM THE 70'S 1

Post any pictures of your time at CH, or pictures of people/places at CH now - what's changed over the past years? What's good/what's bad?

Moderator: Moderators

5h17shoveller
3rd Former

POSTCARDS FROM THE 70'S 1

Post by 5h17shoveller »

Postcards .
Last edited by 5h17shoveller on Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Barnes A 45/ Lamb B 9 71-77
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Re: POSTCARDS FROM THE 70'S 1

Post by michael scuffil »

This reminds me of what a splendid building the Library is. Inside and out, probably the best piece of architecture at Horsham.

The Music School was nice too, at least outside, but the front view of it has since been obstructed by a monstrosity.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

These are making me smile, all that hair. My daughter graduated on Friday and Barry and I had our photo taken with her. I said that at least we now had a decent photo of him at a graduation. His own photo was dreadful as despite entreaties from his Mum and me he would NOT have his hair cut. His disclaimer ? " It was the 70's"
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
5h17shoveller
3rd Former

Post by 5h17shoveller »

englishangel wrote:These are making me smile, all that hair. My daughter graduated on Friday and Barry and I had our photo taken with her. I said that at least we now had a decent photo of him at a graduation. His own photo was dreadful as despite entreaties from his Mum and me he would NOT have his hair cut. His disclaimer ? " It was the 70's"
I am sorry about the postcards on the right because these are the ones with the boys on and some of you may recognise them.
I will try again later to do better and hopefully you may recognise some more hair.
I believe the drum major postcard would be from about 1972/1973 probably about the time when Kevin Keegan / Terry McDermott etc got their hair permed so that explains the exceptional hair this lad had. The rest are good aswell but not quite in his premier league.

Does anyone remember his name ?
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

5h17shoveller wrote:
englishangel wrote:These are making me smile, all that hair. My daughter graduated on Friday and Barry and I had our photo taken with her. I said that at least we now had a decent photo of him at a graduation. His own photo was dreadful as despite entreaties from his Mum and me he would NOT have his hair cut. His disclaimer ? " It was the 70's"
I am sorry about the postcards on the right because these are the ones with the boys on and some of you may recognise them.
I will try again later to do better and hopefully you may recognise some more hair.
I believe the drum major postcard would be from about 1972/1973 probably about the time when Kevin Keegan / Terry McDermott etc got their hair permed so that explains the exceptional hair this lad had. The rest are good aswell but not quite in his premier league.

Does anyone remember his name ?
The drum major looks like Philip Vernago (?spelling surname) to me. He would have left in '70 or '71 and was succeeded as drum major by present day almoner, and occasional forum poster, Peter Farnfield.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
dsmg
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by dsmg »

The drum major looks like Luxmoore to me, Nick I think was his first name, had an elder brother too.
Play up Pompey!
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

dsmg wrote:The drum major looks like Luxmoore to me, Nick I think was his first name, had an elder brother too.
On looking again you could be right. There certainly was a Luxmoore in Mid A in my final year and he was tall compared to most as was Vernago(?spelling) although I recall Vergnago as big in build as well as tall hence my doubts now you mention Luxmoore.

The fair haired drummer to the drum major's right looks like it could be Bob Pilbeam and he left a year after me I think in '73 which would also lend credence to it being Luxmoore.

The old eyes are not what they once were when it comes to looking at smallish photos :(
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

Bottom left - looks like Ron Lorimer praying in chapel; it's a bit hard to tell but it could be before he grew his beard.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Actually I think that person does have a beard. I only knew Ron Lorimer as a young man, so I can't really say.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

michael scuffil wrote:Actually I think that person does have a beard. I only knew Ron Lorimer as a young man, so I can't really say.
Same here. I think he joined around 1959/1960, a year or so after me.

I do remember him teaching me geography/
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
5h17shoveller
3rd Former

Post by 5h17shoveller »

Hey,
For OOB'S you guys have really excellent eyes.
Or better computers to focus in on subjects than me !!
Its definetly Ron , he and and Mr Shippen were excellent geography teachers for me at CH.
JDS though had a hard time with my attitude.
Luckily for him I was forced to leave a year early so he did not have to teach me in the final year.

Does anyone remember the game that JDS would get out at the end of term so that the kids could appreciate the size of North America. I loved it , mind you that probably says something about how sad I am.

That is not a question for you JDS !!!!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

JDS must have been after my time.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

don't remember the game but do remember him teaching inversion layers though the effect of the warm air heating entering at the bottom of the room rising and meeting cold air at top of classroom cooled by the huge windows in the new block leading to a horizontal layer of cigarette smoke at about head height from where he had had a cig between periods.

I had JDS, Lorimer and Gunning for my a Geography as I did A-level, also Avenal for a while
Lordrogg
2nd Former

Post by Lordrogg »

Drummer front right (left as you look at the pic) is Bob Pilbeam I reckon - give me a higher res one to look at and I'll name some more!I think I can see Fraser Cromey-Hawke in there too under one of the more extreme rugs...
Happy Christmas everyone
Roger Thornton 63-72
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Lordrogg wrote:Drummer front right (left as you look at the pic) is Bob Pilbeam I reckon - give me a higher res one to look at and I'll name some more!I think I can see Fraser Cromey-Hawke in there too under one of the more extreme rugs...
Happy Christmas everyone
Roger Thornton 63-72
Hello Roger!

Andy Miller here. I remember many enjoyable hours playing 2nd X1 cricket with you and others such as Mike Carpenter, John Pickering, Francis Monk, Dave Hemy etc, etc.

Hope all is well with you!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72