Another St Matthews Day photo 1972 ?

Post any pictures of your time at CH, or pictures of people/places at CH now - what's changed over the past years? What's good/what's bad?

Moderator: Moderators

5h17shoveller
3rd Former

Another St Matthews Day photo 1972 ?

Post by 5h17shoveller »

More nostalgia. This is Barnes A in 1972 I believe . The older two boys must have been seniors as they certainly were not in Barnes A at that time and I cannot name them.
Barnes B boys can be seen following aswell.
Recognise anyone ?
Barnes A 45/ Lamb B 9 71-77
SandysJ
2nd Former

Re: Another St Matthews Day photo 1972 ?

Post by SandysJ »

I think this might have been the whole school visit to London for the Tercentenary of the Royal Mathematicsl School.
I remember a whole train hired for the school and the service in Westminster Abbey and packed lunch in the Royal Festival Hall.
In the assembly when Headmaster Mr Newsome gave out the details, some small boy asked "what happens if it rains" to which DHN replied "You will get wet".
In the 70s I think St.Mathews Day was Seniors only except choir from 3rd form up. As a Treble it was great to escape lessons for the day.
Last edited by SandysJ on Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LHB 70-73, THA 73-75
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

SandysJ wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:21 pm
In the 70s I think St.Mathews Day was Seniors only except choir from 3rd form up. As a Treble it was great to escape lessons for the day.
AFAIR in my time (1952-1961) the St Matthews Day parade was older boys only. For the 400th anniversary the entire school marched. In those days we had to march from London Bridge Station, breaking step as we crossed London Bridge and after the service returned to the Mansion House itself
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
dsm
3rd Former

Post by dsm »

I recognise Bill Biddell (who played rugby in the Varsity match) and Colin Nesbeth, the only black boy in the photo. The whole school trip to Westminster Abbey was summer term 1973, I believe.