CH Postcards - Series 1

Post any pictures of your time at CH, or pictures of people/places at CH now - what's changed over the past years? What's good/what's bad?

Moderator: Moderators

Sam
2nd Former

Re: CH Postcards - Series 1

Post by Sam »

Michael:

Ref Chapel Christmas photo. Sorry for the delay in reacting. Up here on my wildish Welsh hillside many miles from a telephone exchange the broadband connection is extremely precarious and in any case very slow when it works at all. It has just been off completely for ten days. The engineer found a faulty cable some 3 or 4 miles away this morning and we are back in business for a while. Our great Welsh Government is promising greater things in 2014, if it happens we may be able to download sound or even video! Any way, to the point. I have puzzled over this person and agree totally that it is not Rev Whitfield (Second Chaplain to Pullen, the Chain, I think) - he could not keep one syllable on a single note. I may be very far out, but the only vague recognition is a youngish Gad Malins ?? However, though I remember him teaching me English and an early appreciation of the fact that not all poetry was rubbish - even Chaucer - I do not now remember him ever singing. It may also be that my memory is totally at fault. It is interesting to see Leonard Pearcey's name in this discussion. It was because a beekeeping acquaintance of mine attended his chamber music weekend in Deganwy last year that I started to look for information from the past and came up with this photograph and many others of no interest to this particular subject.
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Post by LongGone »

It occurs to me that, since is a staged photo, singing ability may be irrelevant.
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

LongGone wrote:It occurs to me that, since is a staged photo, singing ability may be irrelevant.

You're not advocating 'miming' at C.H., perchance ??
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
tub
2nd Former

Post by tub »

Postby Sam » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:36 am
Michael:
Ref Chapel Christmas photo. .... I have puzzled over this person and agree totally that it is not Rev Whitfield (Second Chaplain to Pullen, the Chain, I think) - he could not keep one syllable on a single note. I may be very far out, but the only vague recognition is a youngish Gad Malins ?? However, though I remember him teaching me English and an early appreciation of the fact that not all poetry was rubbish - even Chaucer - I do not now remember him ever singing.
I agree that it is certainly not Rev Whitfield. As soon as I saw him, I said Gad Malins. For: this to me is far more like Gad than it is any other person I knew at the time. Against: he is a bit younger than my recollection - but so is Corks. Neutral: from my limited knowledge of the music scene, I do not know why he would have been there; however, there could be all sorts of explanations.