CH Postcards - Series 1

Post any pictures of your time at CH, or pictures of people/places at CH now - what's changed over the past years? What's good/what's bad?

Moderator: Moderators

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

CH Postcards - Series 1

Post by jtaylor »

I've found a selection of postcards published in 1989.
Scanned here - click on each picture for bigger versions of each picture.

Post Cards Series 1 - Click here

The notes are from the back of the cards.
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Amazing how much the school has changed since 1989...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

just what i was thinking! a good set of postcards though, maybe they should keep the layout and format, but re-shoot the 1989 pics...
UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

picture of school chapel 1956

Post by UserRemovedAccount »

Although a matter of monumental unimportance, the date of "1956" on the bottom left picture is almost certainly incorrect. The choirmaster is certainly Cochrane (Corky) but he left very suddenly (ahem!) during my time and I left in December 1955. Also, the chap in the top left corner is Leonard Pearcey who had his buttons before I left, but does not appear to do so in this picture. (The chap immediately in front of Pearcey is Geoffrey Hines, also of Lamb B and now a distinguished academic). So, I suspect that it was Christmas 1954, possibly even 1953 - not that it matters, but it's nice to get these things correct!
HowardH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by HowardH »

Is that the same Geoff Hines - rugby player - that I met in the Queensland Club in Brisbane in 1994 on the school's Australian Rugby Tour ? I do not recall a distinguished career in academia, but then again we might be talking about somebody completely different.
It must be the same chap as I remember he was still very passionate about singing and gave us a stirring rendition of the Votum in front of an enormous stuffed crocodile.
Last edited by HowardH on Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I find it sad that they can find photos of London but not of Hertford to include. Is the infirmary still the largest in Britain, if so why? Is it such an unhealthy place to live?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Katharine wrote:I find it sad that they can find photos of London but not of Hertford to include.
I agree - it's as if it never existed.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

HowardH wrote:Is that the same Geoff Hines - rugby player - that I met in the Queensland Club in Brisbane in 1994 on the school's Australian Rugby Tour ? I do not recall a distinguished career in academia, but then again we might be talking about somebody completely different.
It must be the same chap as I remember he was still very passionate about singing and gave us a stirring rendition of the Votum in front of an enormous stuffed crocodile.
Yes. Sorry about that. :oops: It is Geoff Hines, but I confused his subsequent career with someone else. He is big in management consultancy and lives in Australia. What did the crocodile think of the Votum?
HowardH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by HowardH »

I think, though obviously dead, it had a big enough smile for me to infer that it enjoyed the Votum !
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

Vonny wrote:
Katharine wrote:I find it sad that they can find photos of London but not of Hertford to include.

When I'm dead I'm gonna come back and haunt the Hertford Tesco's car park.I shall materialise eerily now and then around where the chapel used to be ,wearing my chapel cap and blazer,clutching my bible and mournfully singing the foundation hymn.

That should teach 'em.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:
Vonny wrote:
When I'm dead I'm gonna come back and haunt the Hertford Tesco's car park.I shall materialise eerily now and then around where the chapel used to be ,wearing my chapel cap and blazer,clutching my bible and mournfully singing the foundation hymn.
That should teach 'em.
Well if I join you, Alex, with my non-CH singing voice that will really put the heeby-jeebies on them!

I have a friend here in N Wales who vowed to me he would never shop in Tesco's, when one was being built here. When I asked why, not knowing my background, he said that he used to live in Hertford and had seen what Tesco had done there. Naturally I asked for more details, and it was the building on the school field, when I told him I had been to school there he was amazed!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Katharine wrote:I find it sad that they can find photos of London but not of Hertford to include. Is the infirmary still the largest in Britain, if so why? Is it such an unhealthy place to live?
It' still there but not very much of the building is for the infirm.

One wing is staff flats, the top floor is the museum and a large part of the ground floor is the now mothballed house, Hertford.
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

It's like they couldn't get rid of the Hertford House quick enough. I believe there is a " Hertford Avenue " somewhere at Housey ( ? ) but there should also be a permanent building ....the girls house was perfect....but "mothballed" with indecent haste.

btw Katharine....A ghostly duet it shall be!

Amazing story about your friend and Hertford. During my last years at CH, Hertford Town had a " Don't Take the Heart out of Hertford" Campaign....something to do with a planned new route through the town, I think. They couldn't have imagined what was really in store.

However I remember that there were already strong rumours of moving down to Horsham when I was in the Lower Fifth ,or even before.
UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

HERTFORD

I fully understand all your frustrations over the lack of interest in Hertford, although the Hertford organ is now in the Dining Hall. Those of you who have visited the Horsham site will be familiar with the cloisters, on the walls of which are a number of large stone memorial tablets commemorating various Old Blues. Why not club together and commission a plaque in memory of both the Hertford site and all those who went there? If it were to have a suitable and not too long message it would be read by at least some of the girls and boys who pass along the cloisters on a daily basis.
Just a thought,
David
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:It's like they couldn't get rid of the Hertford House quick enough. I believe there is a " Hertford Avenue " somewhere at Housey ( ? ) but there should also be a permanent building ....the girls house was perfect....but "mothballed" with indecent haste.

btw Katharine....A ghostly duet it shall be!

Amazing story about your friend and Hertford. During my last years at CH, Hertford Town had a " Don't Take the Heart out of Hertford" Campaign....something to do with a planned new route through the town, I think. They couldn't have imagined what was really in store.

However I remember that there were already strong rumours of moving down to Horsham when I was in the Lower Fifth ,or even before.
The Hertford House was only meant to be a temporary fix whilst they were increasing numbers at the school to 850 and refurbishing the accommodation.