CH Postcards - Series 1

Post any pictures of your time at CH, or pictures of people/places at CH now - what's changed over the past years? What's good/what's bad?

Moderator: Moderators

AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

HowardH wrote:Is that the same Geoff Hines - rugby player - that I met in the Queensland Club in Brisbane in 1994 on the school's Australian Rugby Tour ? I do not recall a distinguished career in academia, but then again we might be talking about somebody completely different.
It must be the same chap as I remember he was still very passionate about singing and gave us a stirring rendition of the Votum in front of an enormous stuffed crocodile.
How things have changed. I have heard many songs sung in rugby clubs, but never the Votum.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:However I remember that there were already strong rumours of moving down to Horsham when I was in the Lower Fifth ,or even before.
I can remember discussing it with DR sometime, and that was well before you were in Lower Fifth. She was against it, and said it would not be in her time. She was right about that!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Geoff Hines
2nd Former

Singing and the Band

Post by Geoff Hines »

UserRemovedAccount wrote:
HowardH wrote:Is that the same Geoff Hines - rugby player - that I met in the Queensland Club in Brisbane in 1994 on the school's Australian Rugby Tour ? I do not recall a distinguished career in academia, but then again we might be talking about somebody completely different.
It must be the same chap as I remember he was still very passionate about singing and gave us a stirring rendition of the Votum in front of an enormous stuffed crocodile.
Yes. Sorry about that. :oops: It is Geoff Hines, but I confused his subsequent career with someone else. He is big in management consultancy and lives in Australia. What did the crocodile think of the Votum?
Yes it certainly is Geoff Hines and you did meet him in Brisbane Australia in 1994 singing the Votum in the Queensland Club in front of a very large stuffed crocodile. I am now running an executive search and selection business in Brisbane and have done so for the last 24 years.
I have had a very long association with choral singing starting as a boy treble at the age of 7 in the church choir in London. At Housie from 1951 to 1959 I sang in the Chapel,Madrigal and Big School Choirs and finished up as Chapel Choir Leader. At various time I sang treble,alto,tenor and bass. I am still singing regularly in the Church Choir here and also a large concert choir...now permanently as a second bass. I also played the euphonium in the band under Bill Bailey and was band captain . I have just got a new euphonium and have been playing it in the Queensland Corporate Orchestra.Music has been a tremendously satisfying activity for me over the last 60 years and I am indebted to Housie for the tremendous musical training that it gave me.
Incidentally that picture on the post card was published in The Times in 1956 and also featured as the cover of a LP record that was commercially produced at the time...I still have a copy.

As for the mention about Denis Silk playing rugby for England unfortunately that was not correct. He was just a Cambridge rugby blue. Some years later I gained two rugby blues at Oxford and I worked closely with Denis at Marlborough College in 1965/66 when we coached the 1st XV together. Later Dennis became Headmaster of Radley College. I came close to playing for England in 1962...I played for England against the Rest in the final trial and they made one change in the side to play Wales!!
Despite being 12,000 Kms away from the UK I organise a Founders Day Dinner every year in Brisbane..this started after the School rugby XV under Sean Davey toured here in 1994 and a number of Old Blues came out of the Woodwork.
Lamb B 1951 to 1959, Senior Grecian 1958/59
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Re: HERTFORD

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

UserRemovedAccount wrote:I fully understand all your frustrations over the lack of interest in Hertford, although the Hertford organ is now in the Dining Hall. Those of you who have visited the Horsham site will be familiar with the cloisters, on the walls of which are a number of large stone memorial tablets commemorating various Old Blues. Why not club together and commission a plaque in memory of both the Hertford site and all those who went there? If it were to have a suitable and not too long message it would be read by at least some of the girls and boys who pass along the cloisters on a daily basis.
Just a thought,
David
I think that is a very good idea, and would be willing to contribute - as long as I can do it through PayPal. I have been trying to source US $25. Silly me thought that I could just walk into any bank and purchase them .........

Getting down to practicalities: who would be able to co-ordinate this venture?

Caroline
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:When I'm dead I'm gonna come back and haunt the Hertford Tesco's car park.I shall materialise eerily now and then around where the chapel used to be ,wearing my chapel cap and blazer,clutching my bible and mournfully singing the foundation hymn.

That should teach 'em.
Do we have to wait until you're deceased Alex? Maybe we, well you cos I'm a little too far away to make frequent visits, could organise a few impromptu concerts-in-the-carpark?

BTW, I have some postcards featuring Hertford: inside of the chapel, one of the square, and ........? Will dig them out, but am guessing that they are readily available.

Love

Caroline
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: picture of school chapel 1956

Post by sejintenej »

UserRemovedAccount wrote:Although a matter of monumental unimportance, the date of "1956" on the bottom left picture is almost certainly incorrect. The choirmaster is certainly Cochrane (Corky) but he left very suddenly (ahem!) during my time and I left in December 1955. So, I suspect that it was Christmas 1954, possibly even 1953 - not that it matters, but it's nice to get these things correct!
Sorry, but I think you are slightly mistaken. Corks, whom I remember very well, was junior housemaster of Col A under Kit Aitken for most of the time I was there and was replaced by Potts who arrived in Sept 1960. (There might have been a year's gap). Certainly if he had left when I was 11 I would not have known him well enough to be invited on pub crawls round London in 1962 or later!

It might be that he was ill or on a sabbatical for a while making you think he had left. So far as I am aware there was nothing sinister about his leaving and I certainly have no suspicions about improper conduct etc. - he went to a good post at St Paul's Cathedral.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Geoff Hines
2nd Former

Post by Geoff Hines »

AKAP wrote:
How things have changed. I have heard many songs sung in rugby clubs, but never the Votum.
Lamb B 1951 to 1959, Senior Grecian 1958/59
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Corks certainly didn't leave before Dec 55. He was there the whole of my first year 55/56, and I think the second as well. And he didn't leave hastily.

His successor Jack Rust was not popular at first. (Corks was a hard act to follow.) A famous note was found in the choir room: Wanted, rust remover, with corks to replace.

However when people got to know him (Rust), they got to like him. Later he was a frequent visit to ThorntonB monitors at around 10 pm, and we enjoyed his irreverences.
Leonardpearcey
2nd Former

Post by Leonardpearcey »

UserRemovedAccount wrote:Although a matter of monumental unimportance, the date of "1956" on the bottom left picture is almost certainly incorrect. The choirmaster is certainly Cochrane (Corky) but he left very suddenly (ahem!) during my time and I left in December 1955. Also, the chap in the top left corner is Leonard Pearcey who had his buttons before I left, but does not appear to do so in this picture. (The chap immediately in front of Pearcey is Geoffrey Hines, also of Lamb B and now a distinguished academic). So, I suspect that it was Christmas 1954, possibly even 1953 - not that it matters, but it's nice to get these things correct!
No it's not me Leonard Pearcey. I did have my buttons at that time (it was indeed Christmas 1956), but like several other choir members I was at Cambridge when the photo was taken taking my entrance exams.
Leonardpearcey
2nd Former

Post by Leonardpearcey »

Leonardpearcey wrote:
UserRemovedAccount wrote:Although a matter of monumental unimportance, the date of "1956" on the bottom left picture is almost certainly incorrect. The choirmaster is certainly Cochrane (Corky) but he left very suddenly (ahem!) during my time and I left in December 1955. Also, the chap in the top left corner is Leonard Pearcey who had his buttons before I left, but does not appear to do so in this picture. (The chap immediately in front of Pearcey is Geoffrey Hines, also of Lamb B and now a distinguished academic). So, I suspect that it was Christmas 1954, possibly even 1953 - not that it matters, but it's nice to get these things correct!
No it's not me Leonard Pearcey. I did have my buttons at that time (it was indeed Christmas 1956), but like several other choir members I was at Cambridge when the photo was taken taking my entrance exams.
Me LP again. I think the person wrongly identified as me is Joe Horwood, Coleridge.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Re: CH Postcards - Series 1

LP -- there is a much higher resolution version of this photo at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jandsw/670 ... otostream/

Does anyone know who the man on the left is, behind the main body of the choir?
Th.B. 27 1955-63
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Post by LongGone »

michael scuffil wrote:LP -- there is a much higher resolution version of this photo at

It could be Rev Whitfield, junior housemaster in Maine A.
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

LongGone wrote:
michael scuffil wrote:LP -- there is a much higher resolution version of this photo at

It could be Rev Whitfield, junior housemaster in Maine A.
I am certain it isn't. Not only does it not look like him, but Whitfield couldn't sing in tune or hold a note. And nearly always he wore a dog-collar.

I'm perplexed, because I recognize most of the people on this photo, even though I can't remember their names.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Sam
2nd Former

Post by Sam »

It certainly was December 1956. The picture appeared in The Times on Saturday 15th December 1956 - I still have the cutting from the paper as well as my original copy of the photograph. I was one of the trebles on the right of the picture with my back to the camera. I survived as a treble for a little while after that spanning the end of Cochrane's reign and the start of Rust's.
Th A. 1955/62 Chris Clarke
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Sam

Can YOU think who the adult man on the left nearest the organ might be?
Th.B. 27 1955-63