Horsham 1954-62

Post any pictures of your time at CH, or pictures of people/places at CH now - what's changed over the past years? What's good/what's bad?

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Horsham 1954-62

Post by J.R. »

DEFINITELY Nick Cox. I remember being surprised at seeing him dressed like this on the day.

Definitely Mrs Riches.

It could be Tim Dickinson, who I understand is no longer with us ! I've re-looked at the others and cannot come up with any more names.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Timothy no longer with us? Since when? He was with us two years ago, see:

http://www.history.com/videos/who-is-ti ... -dickinson

(You have to go to the clip on the left of the top row, not the one that plays when you click on the link.)

Nick Cox, however, is no longer with us (died in December 2004).
Th.B. 27 1955-63
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Something to look into. I knew Nick had passed and I'm sure someone told me a few months back that Tim had also. I MAY be wrong.

Something for JH to check out ??

I love that short video-clip, Michael. Apart from ageing, Tim hasn't changed a bit !
eucsgmrc
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by eucsgmrc »

Thankyou all for the names. My memory of those days is fairly rusty, but I think the pancake race does show Gerald Ashton next to Nick Cox, and on the other side of him I'd suggest (hesitantly) Blogg, Pearl and Jenkins, all of Col A.
John Wexler
Col A 1954-62
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

For reasons I cannot begin to imagine, the name "Taylor" suddenly sprang into my head in relation to the racer on the far right. Does that make sense to anyone? I think the person in shorts behind him is Fawcett (Col. B), and I suspect the person in the CCF beret is Paul Wade (Col. A).

I can remember very clearly the last time I saw Tim Dickinson. It was on the evening of the 2nd reading of the bill to abolish capital punishment in the House of Commons (I was there, in the gallery). As I was coming up the stairs from Westminster tube station, I bumped into Tim Dickinson and Nick Cox (who were good friends) coming down. Tim was just about to fly to the USA to make his fortune, he hoped. They were off to Heathrow. Nick said they had very sentimental farewells, but never heard from Tim again. It turns out that he became a sort of freelance guru to the Washington intelligentsia, because he had every imaginable sort of politico-historical knowledge at his fingertips. To judge by the videoclip, he also got into the media business. His exaggeratedly British affectations obviously helped. There were doubtless many Americans who thought him a typical Brit, but he was quite the most eccentric person I've ever met.
Tim and Nick were once walking along a street in Oxford when Tim pointed to an old man in front of them and said in reverential tones: "Nicholas, that is Alexander Kerensky." (Kerensky was the leader of the February Russian Revolution in 1917, head of the govt. toppled by the Bolsheviks in the October Revolution later that year, so to see him on the streets of Oxford in the 1960s was something pretty extraordinary.)
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Could it be that DICKINSON and DONALDSON are being confused?

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3718
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
eucsgmrc
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by eucsgmrc »

michael scuffil wrote:For reasons I cannot begin to imagine, the name "Taylor" suddenly sprang into my head in relation to the racer on the far right. Does that make sense to anyone? I think the person in shorts behind him is Fawcett (Col. B), and I suspect the person in the CCF beret is Paul Wade (Col. A).
I'll attach the original scans of some of these faces:
They may be clearer than the low-resolution versions on Flickr. I'm doubtful about Paul Wade being in the line-up. If he's present at all, I think he's more likely to be the one in the background who JR thinks is Don McLeod. And I'm not convinced about the Grecian being Tim Dickinson. See what you think of this version:
Last edited by eucsgmrc on Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Wexler
Col A 1954-62
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

At this resolution things look different. I think now that Paul Wade is standing next to you (though I can see why JR thinks it's Macleod). And Dickinson always wore glasses, which this grecian now doesn't seem to be doing. (Do you know the date of this photo?).

The racer on the right is the same person as is sitting next to the Coleridge matron on the 1961 house photo of ColB posted by JR. (The house captain: was his name Taylor? What made me think that?) Dickinson is also on that photo, the dark-haired bespectacled grecian.

(I share the sentiments expressed by Keith Battarbee in this thread a few days ago: I must have known all of these people, and it's sobering that I can remember so few names.)
Th.B. 27 1955-63
eucsgmrc
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by eucsgmrc »

michael scuffil wrote:And Dickinson always wore glasses, which this grecian now doesn't seem to be doing.
I think now, having had a good look, that it's Ian Packington. I think this must be 1960 or 1961.
John Wexler
Col A 1954-62
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

This might help.

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=508

First photo, which I posted.

Don McCLEOD is 2nd row down, 6th in from the right as you view. I'm sure that is him in the pan-cake race pic. Incidently, the late Tim DONALDSON, is on the right end of that row, pulling a 'funny-face'.

GRECIANS ROW: Tim DICKINSON is 4th from the left and Andrew FAWCETT is 3rd from the right.

Incidently - have any of you looked at AF's Jazz web-site ?
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Packington. That's the name! I seem to remember that he was quite short of stature (as grecians go).
Th.B. 27 1955-63
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Some of the faces are slowly coming back to me but I'm guessing to a certain extent

W78
Middle row right Patterson, Fair hair next to him: Paul Wade, next to him with shiny hair, Lyle
Middle row left I thought was a poster here but since he hasn't admitted his crime I'll leave it.
The boy lying down; simply can't remember his name for sure but Blogg comes to mind.
I don't recognise three of the back row but the boy in glasses looks familiar.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

eucsgmrc wrote:
michael scuffil wrote:And Dickinson always wore glasses, which this grecian now doesn't seem to be doing.
I think now, having had a good look, that it's Ian Packington. I think this must be 1960 or 1961.
Was he Band Captain?
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
eucsgmrc
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by eucsgmrc »

sejintenej wrote:Some of the faces are slowly coming back to me but I'm guessing to a certain extent

W78
Middle row right Patterson, Fair hair next to him: Paul Wade, next to him with shiny hair, Lyle
Middle row left I thought was a poster here but since he hasn't admitted his crime I'll leave it.
The boy lying down; simply can't remember his name for sure but Blogg comes to mind.
I do actually know all the names for W78. I don't put them in the captions of the photos on Flickr, because that's open for all the world to see - but perhaps in this company I can say

Right to left, back row: Bond, Jenkins, Carter, Pearl
Right to left, middle row: Paterson, Wade, Liles, Evans
Front row: Blogg

jhopgood: Yes, I do believe Packington was Band Captain.

and J.R.: Where is AF's jazz page? I don't think I've seen him in nearly fifty years, but one of my sons met him on a jazz course a few years ago (where "few" must equal about seventeen).
John Wexler
Col A 1954-62
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

eucsgmrc wrote:
sejintenej wrote:Some of the faces are slowly coming back to me but I'm guessing to a certain extent

W78
I do actually know all the names for W78. I don't put them in the captions of the photos on Flickr, because that's open for all the world to see - but perhaps in this company I can say

Right to left, back row: Bond, Jenkins, Carter, Pearl
Right to left, middle row: Paterson, Wade, Liles, Evans
Front row: Blogg

jhopgood: Yes, I do believe Packington was Band Captain.

and J.R.: Where is AF's jazz page? I don't think I've seen him in nearly fifty years, but one of my sons met him on a jazz course a few years ago (where "few" must equal about seventeen).

Start from here:

http://www.jazzservices.org.uk/Director ... =3&ID=2033

He was a couple of years ahead of me in Coleridge B, but he attended the last Col B re-union a couple of years back and we had a great time chewing the fat of life in Housey in the early 60's !