train crash 1964

Post any pictures of your time at CH, or pictures of people/places at CH now - what's changed over the past years? What's good/what's bad?

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Richard Ruck wrote:
J.R. wrote: The cutting story of dodgy waste belongs to the Bluebell Railway a very dubious landfill being removed form a cuttung as we speak."
What does this mean, though?
I'll have to get back to my source on this one !

(No jokes about 'Daddies', Perleeez !)
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Sergiu Panaite
3rd Former

Post by Sergiu Panaite »

If that's the rail line I'm thinking of, then yes, it's been closed for a very long time. I think it used to run past the school, as you look from the back of Big School onto big side, on the far right hand side. It was mostly used as a slightly-hidden path for people on bikes to go and get booze - I went on it once, but I came back covered in mud and decided the train was much more convenient.
Serg
LaB '97-'98, MaA '98-'99, MaB '99-'01, GrE '01-'02 - confused?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

It's been a long day, what with travelling, and discussing various Anarchistic subjects, HOWEVER................

For all you rail anoraks, here is my source's reply:-

"To get to East Grinstead from Kingscote the Bluebell Railway will be required to remove the filling of a cutting that took place under a landfill scheme. This is going to be an expensive process for the Bluebell, they literally have no idea what they will find when they do it.

Does the Slinfold line have cuttings that were filled in this way?"

Next question on a 2nd Class Return Ticket to:-...................
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I had heard about the Bluebell railway clearing a cutting - I believe the Slinfold line (closed in 1965 anoraks!) did have a cutting like that... and still does...

The Guildford to Cranleigh line in the early 90's was looked at reopening...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

But binned when they realised lots of nuaghty people had flouted planning permissions and built over/oo close to the old line.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Deb GP wrote:But binned when they realised lots of nuaghty people had flouted planning permissions and built over/oo close to the old line.
Was that the reason?

Good grief...
Moulam
2nd Former

ch model railway

Post by Moulam »

the model railway is still behind the DT school, and all of the contents are still there (such as the clock and sign)

since 2004 though it has not functioned as there has been no member of staff willing to run it. now needed due to health and safety etc. so it has all sat there unused for over a year. i did consider trying to run it as pupil only (being a current grecian) i could have been in charge of the younger ones but there was no intrest in it at all so i did not go ahead.

i am sure that some day it will be eithertaken on by a member of staff or will be thrown away as school seems not to be able to see the sense in selling anything like that, such as the sign, and so it would be binned. i hope this never happens.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Re: ch model railway

Post by Richard Ruck »

Moulam wrote:the model railway is still behind the DT school, and all of the contents are still there (such as the clock and sign)
This rings a vague bell. Is this a miniature railway which could be used to give rides to children?

In the '70s there was a miniature locomotive and some track which was built by the then head of the Manual School, Keith Stratton.

Or do you mean a normal model railway?
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Moulam
2nd Former

Post by Moulam »

this is a normal 00 gauge railway. the one built by the head of the manual school is in a local school. i can not remember the name of this school but i will find out for you tomorrow. i have riddden on said railway 2 times now as i have gone, as a community service co-ordinater, to help out at their fetes etc. at which the trains are always running.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Moulam wrote:this is a normal 00 gauge railway. the one built by the head of the manual school is in a local school. i can not remember the name of this school but i will find out for you tomorrow. i have riddden on said railway 2 times now as i have gone, as a community service co-ordinater, to help out at their fetes etc. at which the trains are always running.
The model railway (with the ridiculously large hill) was maintained and run by Mr Robinson (husband of Mrs Robinson - Food & Nut teacher) when I was there...
Moulam
2nd Former

Post by Moulam »

this is the same one but recently (last year) mr robinson stopped doing the model railway. at around the same time he ended the bicycle repair group as well, of which i was highly involved, this has been bad for the school as there is no longer a team of people to repair bicycles but there is only me and a couple of others who operate independantly and so many bikes do not get fixed and are therefore dangerous.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Moulam wrote:this is the same one but recently (last year) mr robinson stopped doing the model railway. at around the same time he ended the bicycle repair group as well, of which i was highly involved, this has been bad for the school as there is no longer a team of people to repair bicycles but there is only me and a couple of others who operate independantly and so many bikes do not get fixed and are therefore dangerous.
Do you need a member of staff to supervise or couldn't you just start up the bike repair club yourselves?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Moulam wrote:this is the same one but recently (last year) mr robinson stopped doing the model railway. at around the same time he ended the bicycle repair group as well, of which i was highly involved, this has been bad for the school as there is no longer a team of people to repair bicycles but there is only me and a couple of others who operate independantly and so many bikes do not get fixed and are therefore dangerous.
So I've been told !
Moulam
2nd Former

Post by Moulam »

we no longer have a workshop as we got kicked out of the grecians mock up in the fives courts. this has resulted in me having tools and bike bits strewn across my room which does not please matron or the cleaners very much. this means that it would be hard to set up a group again and there could be no official money without a member of staff.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Sergiu Panaite wrote:If that's the rail line I'm thinking of, then yes, it's been closed for a very long time.
Yes, Sergiu; as evidence:

!

(Found when I was doing research for another thread)
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!