Oldest photos on the forum?

Post any pictures of your time at CH, or pictures of people/places at CH now - what's changed over the past years? What's good/what's bad?

Moderator: Moderators

DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Oldest photos on the forum?

Post by DavebytheSea »

Are these the oldest photos on the forum?

They were given to me by Bill Spenceley (Mid B 1924-29) at lunch the other day. He has not yet directly participated in the forum 'though he has a lively and enduring interest in his old school.

The first is of Bill in his Squits (1924) and the second a picture of the band in 1927.

Click on image for larger version:-

Bill said he was given the book to hold to make him look more academic.

Click on image for larger version:-

Bill is the euphonium player directly on the jeft of the boy with the RMS plate. of the three seated staff, in the centre is William (later Sir William) Hamilton-Fyfe (headmaster) and on his left Mr R Wilkinson (Director of Music, 1902-1929) and on the other side the bandmaster with an extra-ordinary name which I have temporarily forgotten - anyone care to refresh my memory?
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: Oldest photos on the forum?

Post by sejintenej »

DavebytheSea wrote:Are these the oldest photos on the forum?

The first is of Bill in his Squits (1924) and the second a picture of the band in 1927.
Posted March 27th, ("All you could ever want") was a reference to a link to the St Matthews Day Parade 1924 photo

http://www.myers.orcon.net.nz/mphotos.html

This also includes 1920 pictures of the 3 Maurice brothers in uniform.
OK so yours was the oldest when you put it up - I think
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Wonderful, wonderful pics! You are cheating slightly, however, as they are not actually posted on the forum. I fear there are links to sites with even older pics and I don't think links count - but well done, all the same!

Why not try and post them here - we could perhaps build up an important archive on this thread.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

DavebytheSea wrote:Wonderful, wonderful pics! You are cheating slightly, however, as they are not actually posted on the forum. I fear there are links to sites with even older pics and I don't think links count - but well done, all the same!

Why not try and post them here - we could perhaps build up an important archive on this thread.

Cheating? yes, perhaps - that is how you get things done in this world as Housie should have taught you.

I didn't because of:
a) possible copyright infringements
b) how much space has this forum been allocated by its ISP? - there are thousands of photos out there
c) I don't know how. On one occasion I put in a URL: (like this case) and the photo appeared. this time it didn't
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

sejintenej wrote:Cheating? yes, perhaps - that is how you get things done in this world as Housie should have taught you.
Ah yes, the 12th Commandment
UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

AN EVEN OLDER PICTIRE

Post by UserRemovedAccount »

DavebytheSea wrote:Are these the oldest photos on the forum?
See "The Band 110 years ago" just posted.
(link added by JT:- viewtopic.php?t=998)
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Post by postwarblue »

I've only just caught up with this. Immediately on the left of the euphonium player mentioned, the next euphonium player is my father Robin Griffiths (Prep B & Col B 1924-32). He graduated to the other sort of euphonium that winds around the body (I used to have a band photo - long lost - showing this). He brought it home one hols & played Bonnie Annie Laurie on it, by ear, extensively and without alternative.
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

postwarblue wrote:I've only just caught up with this. Immediately on the left of the euphonium player mentioned, the next euphonium player is my father Robin Griffiths (Prep B & Col B 1924-32). He graduated to the other sort of euphonium that winds around the body (I used to have a band photo - long lost - showing this). He brought it home one hols & played Bonnie Annie Laurie on it, by ear, extensively and without alternative.
I think you are talking about the sousaphone, which a friend from Barnes B, Miles Pinniger, played. He would put a large piece of foam on his shoulder, under his coat, because of the weight of the instrument.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)