Joe Horwood

Post requests for information about people you've lost touch with, and would like to contact again.

Moderator: Moderators

John Saunders
UF (Upper Fourth)

Joe Horwood

Post by John Saunders »

Joe was in Col B middle 50s. He was a scholar of Peterhouse and a swimming Blue and a good friend. Its over 60 years since we spoke. Any information? His Father was a senior police officer in the Met. JHG Saunders
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Joe Horwood

Post by Mid A 15 »

John Saunders wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:12 am Joe was in Col B middle 50s. He was a scholar of Peterhouse and a swimming Blue and a good friend. Its over 60 years since we spoke. Any information? His Father was a senior police officer in the Met. JHG Saunders
Any more information such as approximate birth year or further initials besides J
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
John Saunders
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by John Saunders »

Many thanks. Most useful. John Saunders
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

I can't give you an update on Horwood but I remember him from Col B in the 1950s. He was one of those superior, sarcastic, monitors who had little time for us younger boys and who typified the snotty, hierarchical system at the time. I've said some adverse things about Fryer on this site but in fairness to him he promoted some decent people into positions of authority when he came in, in contrast to Buck who promoted any rubbish who happened to lying around at the time, including one that I would describe as a psycho. Perhaps PWB has some opinions to offer on this. My last year at CH was one of my happiest because we had a really nice and enlightened guy called Bob Leach as house captain along with some other good people like Michael Scuffil's friend Nick Cox, monitors who didn't view the younger boys as an inferior race and tried to take an encouraging attitude towards them.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

rockfreak wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:54 pm I can't give you an update on Horwood but I remember him from Col B in the 1950s. He was one of those superior, sarcastic, monitors who had little time for us younger boys and who typified the snotty, hierarchical system at the time. I've said some adverse things about Fryer on this site but in fairness to him he promoted some decent people into positions of authority when he came in, in contrast to Buck who promoted any rubbish who happened to lying around at the time, including one that I would describe as a psycho. Perhaps PWB has some opinions to offer on this. My last year at CH was one of my happiest because we had a really nice and enlightened guy called Bob Leach as house captain along with some other good people like Michael Scuffil's friend Nick Cox, monitors who didn't view the younger boys as an inferior race and tried to take an encouraging attitude towards them.
Let us be charitable; JH is now nearing 80 and may have attained enlightenment. I also remember him. Not for any particular reason, but he was one of those people the whole school seemed to know. Was he not a big shot in the band?
Th.B. 27 1955-63