Hertford production on record (LP) Noyes Floode - B.Brittan

Post requests for information about people you've lost touch with, and would like to contact again.

Moderator: Moderators

Jude
Button Grecian

Hertford production on record (LP) Noyes Floode - B.Brittan

Post by Jude »

Does anyone have a copy or even remember performing Noyes Floode at the Hertford Parish Church? I was a pea-hen - boringly covered in brown all over!! I can still hear parts of it in my head - especially the Keria's..!

If anyone has a copy, or can find it to download please contact me - I would like to annoy my offspring with yet more of the accomplishments of their mother!!!

judicomber@aol.com
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

I remember doing this - must have been between 1982-1984 though so can't have been the same one you did.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Alex vS
2nd Former

Noyes Floode

Post by Alex vS »

I played the timpani and cymbals - got to do the thunder and lightening - my crowning moment in the orchestra!! Must have been 1982, '83 or '84 coz I left Summer '84 and I must have been 14 or older. My music teacher was hovering in the background terrified that I'd crash the symbols at the wrong place and helping retune the drums.

I played in the marching band too. Kept getting told off when I played the bass drum, because as we went along I got faster and faster - probably hungry! (I'm giggling to myself here imagining the last couple of houses half running up the square - not sure I ever got that bad, but the thought is good).
Jude
Button Grecian

Re: Noyes Floode

Post by Jude »

Alex vS wrote:I played the timpani and cymbals - got to do the thunder and lightening - my crowning moment in the orchestra!! Must have been 1982, '83 or '84 coz I left Summer '84 and I must have been 14 or older. My music teacher was hovering in the background terrified that I'd crash the symbols at the wrong place and helping retune the drums.

I played in the marching band too. Kept getting told off when I played the bass drum, because as we went along I got faster and faster - probably hungry! (I'm giggling to myself here imagining the last couple of houses half running up the square - not sure I ever got that bad, but the thought is good).
i was in the marching band at CH Herts, played clarinet.. I have to admit that on Sundays in the Winter, not only did we get more and more out of tune, but played faster and faster just to get back in the warmth!

The only other accolade for making a noise was on our leaving day (summer 1980) when all we leavers hun saucepans, lids, kettles and anything that we could bang and make a noise with down the avenue between the lime trees......... then we were really naughty by ringing the school bell (in main hall) at 6am instead of the usual 7am - then charging up and down between the houses clanging and bashing.... I guess some weren't too pleased, but most of us had had no sleep anyway, and we were leaving - going out with a BANG I guess!!
:D :wink: :rolleyes:
Alex vS
2nd Former

Marching band

Post by Alex vS »

Yep, I remember the Leavers Day shinanigans - seems they were very similar in my day and very annoying too until it was our turn of course!
Jude
Button Grecian

leavers Day

Post by Jude »

Everyone was in tears at Leavers Days - not only was it the lack of sleep so many times endured, but the loss of a friend - yes all leavers got to make some sort of cacophony, but then there was the leavers Day chapel service where you were given your leather bound bible (even if you were a Jew!!) with the lettering in gold, and the Charge at the front

"I charge you never to forget the great benefits that you have received in this place, and in time to come according to your means, to do all that you can to enable others to enjoy the same advantage: And remember that you carry with you, wherever you go, to good name of Christ's Hospital.
May God Almighty bless you in your ways and keep in you the knowledge of his love now and forever"

Blimey - in the real world no-one had heard of CH!!!
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

I felt a bit sorry for those who left in 1985 as "their" night was eclipsed by the fact it was everybodies last night at Hertford!
Alex vS
2nd Former

Leavers Day

Post by Alex vS »

The Charge feels so familiar although I can't say I've thought about it in 20 years.

I left at the end of my 5th form in '84 and the schools merged the year later. It must have been quite a Leavers Day in 1985. I loved being at boarding school (wierdo) and thought it was all very Enid Blyton - and then I worked out what was missing in her books! The end of my 5th form was the first opportunity to leave and I shamelessly used the 'disruption' of the merger to persuade my parents to let me go to a local 6th form college.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Re: Leavers Day

Post by Vonny »

Alex vS wrote: I left at the end of my 5th form in '84 and the schools merged the year later. It must have been quite a Leavers Day in 1985. I loved being at boarding school (wierdo) and thought it was all very Enid Blyton - and then I worked out what was missing in her books! The end of my 5th form was the first opportunity to leave and I shamelessly used the 'disruption' of the merger to persuade my parents to let me go to a local 6th form college.
The last day at Hertford was weird - we had breakfast outside in the avenue sitting on the long benches we had used in the dining hall! I've got some photos of it somewhere. It was very relaxed considering how strict it usually was. It's a shame you missed Horsham - it was SO different and was like a completly different school (I know it was a different school in a way but you know what I mean!).
Jude
Button Grecian

Weird songs and incantations!

Post by Jude »

How many of you can remember the school Song? The one with 7 latin verses, of which even Miss Tucker (a Greek Scholar no less) could never get the full meaning of?? and talk about the most monotonus tune ever performed!

I can start us off - although it will be phonetic as I was trash at Latin!!

Unem concentum Toileta
Latto sodalis sono
et votum Christo fundetae
nostro domus patronum

ne nokiat concordiae
lighto sadalae sono

errrr Rhubarb and custard from then on!

Is it still sung at horsham?
What about the prayers before and after meals? I can't remember them! I know that the school Hymn is something about a foundation stone... even though I was in the choir I don't remember much in the day to day stuff - but give me Messiah, Bach, or some other and I'm off! I was ?honoured? to sing at the Memorial Service in St Pauls Cathederal for Sir Barnes Wallis, I was inches away from Prince Charles during the Anthem - the sound of the Air force Trumpeters in the Whispering Gallery was amazing..and it is things like that, that stop me from really hating school and home at the same time.
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Vonny wrote:
Alex vS wrote: I left at the end of my 5th form in '84 and the schools merged the year later. It must have been quite a Leavers Day in 1985. I loved being at boarding school (wierdo) and thought it was all very Enid Blyton - and then I worked out what was missing in her books! The end of my 5th form was the first opportunity to leave and I shamelessly used the 'disruption' of the merger to persuade my parents to let me go to a local 6th form college.
The last day at Hertford was weird - we had breakfast outside in the avenue sitting on the long benches we had used in the dining hall! I've got some photos of it somewhere. It was very relaxed considering how strict it usually was. It's a shame you missed Horsham - it was SO different and was like a completly different school (I know it was a different school in a way but you know what I mean!).
In some ways Vonny you had the best of both worlds - the weirdness of Hertford and the new combined school in Horsham - although the idea of sitting on the benches in the Avenue sounds well weird! We lot got to help chose your uniform!!! We were desperate for it not to be as we had it (52 variations on 6 themes, but also not to be identical to the boys.. If I had stayed until the end of 6th form I would have almost but not quite got to Horsham!!! :lol:
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Jude wrote:
In some ways Vonny you had the best of both worlds - the weirdness of Hertford and the new combined school in Horsham - although the idea of sitting on the benches in the Avenue sounds well weird! We lot got to help chose your uniform!!! We were desperate for it not to be as we had it (52 variations on 6 themes, but also not to be identical to the boys.
It was nice to have experienced both schools - obviously out of all Old Blues there are only a couple of hundred roughly who can say they were at both schools.
I remember the uniforms being chosen as well - I seem to recall a couple of girls from maybe the 1st form at the time being models for possible uniforms. I didn't mind the new uniform at all, apart from the jabots that is :twisted: Apart from them being a fire hazzard in chemistry they were very itchy :twisted:
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

The Votum is still occasionally sung at Horsham...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Great Plum wrote:The Votum is still occasionally sung at Horsham...
And Richard has posted all of it on another thread
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Here, if anyone's interested :

viewtopic.php?t=886
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?