Silly things you did at school that could have killed you

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Euterpe13 wrote:Not the same pills, I think you'll find -
JRs are lozenge -shaped , and a very pretty periwinckle blue :lol: :lol:
They're the ones.

huntertitus: The ones you refer to are 'speed', (so I'm told !)
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

J.R. wrote:
Euterpe13 wrote:Not the same pills, I think you'll find -
JRs are lozenge -shaped , and a very pretty periwinckle blue :lol: :lol:
They're the ones.

huntertitus: The ones you refer to are 'speed', (so I'm told !)
And I thought they were for Alzheimer's disease.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Fertii
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Fertii »

We used to jump on and off the train tracks at the crossing as we never believed they were powered - rubber shoes or boots saved us there.

Swimming at three in the morning with other peers of the opposite gender - had we been caught, we would have not been able to pass 'Go'!

Climbing various trees to smoke.

Swimming in the stream just up from the sewer works - not the brightest of ideas really.....
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Fertii wrote:Swimming in the stream just up from the sewer works - not the brightest of ideas really.....
By the weir?

We did that too......
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Fertii
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Fertii »

Richard Ruck wrote:
Fertii wrote:Swimming in the stream just up from the sewer works - not the brightest of ideas really.....
By the weir?

We did that too......
Exactly there, yes......
joeleiserach
2nd Former

Post by joeleiserach »

Where to start?

Those who know me will probably remeber a lot more than I am currently willing to broadcast over the net.

The worst and most dangerous things have included:

1. A large pyrotechnics display after grecians ball '03 having been excluded- then chased by security including Mrs Ireland and her dog (no not Fergus).
2. Climbing in through Col A (girls House) 1st floor windows on well I lost count how many occasions - Including hiding behind a bed whilst Mr Davey (housemaster) chatted for 15 minutes to the girls in their room.
3. Succesfully managing to run 30-40 crates of lager through my grecians house- and only being caught with 6-10 cans after almost 8 months of uninterupted supply.
4. Going to the toilet in the grecians club (to those in th e know).
5. And most dangerous **Continualy Harassing Mss Simmons for 2 years of Economics driving her to, age ten years, turn to drinking, outburst of intermitant violence and generally issue death threats.**

All of these experiences have made me a more rounded individual - As i now know how to get away with it! A truly complete education.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

joeleiserach wrote:Where to start?

Those who know me will probably remeber a lot more than I am currently willing to broadcast over the net.

1. A large pyrotechnics display after grecians ball '03 having been excluded- then chased by security including Mrs Ireland and her dog (no not Fergus).
2. Climbing in through Col A (girls House) 1st floor windows on well I lost count how many occasions - Including hiding behind a bed whilst Mr Davey (housemaster) chatted for 15 minutes to the girls in their room.
3. Succesfully managing to run 30-40 crates of lager through my grecians house- and only being caught with 6-10 cans after almost 8 months of uninterupted supply.
5. And most dangerous **Continualy Harassing Mss Simmons for 2 years of Economics driving her to, age ten years, turn to drinking, outburst of intermitant violence and generally issue death threats.**

All of these experiences have made me a more rounded individual - As i now know how to get away with it! A truly complete education.
My sentiments exactly.

I always follow the 11th commandment.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

joeleiserach wrote:Where to start?

How about nearly writing your new car off the day you left CH Joe? ;)
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
chris the crisp
2nd Former

Air passages and spider man impressions

Post by chris the crisp »

In ThB as juniors, in the lower lavends that looked out onto the back ashphalt you could climb up the pipe and get out the small window above the bath, out onto a small ledge and round into the air passages (where the pidgeons used to nest).
Was climbing out there one day with my friend Frazer when we were caught mid roof swing by Mrs Phillips as she was doing her washing up (her kitchen over looked the ledge)....got many house detentions for that!

Did we learn.......oh no, 1 year later as LE and rulers or the junior house, my curiousity gets the better of me and i test whether the loft hatch at the top of the stone fire escape is locked.....no! Perfect me thinks and up i clambers to find a great little hide out which has obviously been used before as there are sarongs and posters on the walls, beer cans and fag packets lying about. Realising the incredible potential for such an anti-teacher zone i report back to a select few of my peers. But alas, 2 days later and the hatch is locked....cue Paul Lacey and Jon Hill who using their combined strength( both these chaps are Hagrid like) smash the yale lock out of it's hinges as if it were made of paper! To cut an already long story short, we rigged a pully system to get the smaller ones of us up there, smashed the lock of the skylight and generally proceeded to re-enact the strangeways protest....again we were caught again repremanded...no red or yellow cards=result. We also passed the info on to mates in Lamb and Maine...it was greatly appreciated!

4years later and i manage to make second monitor, have i learnt anything from my junior years....no! 1st week in the grecians house and myself, Andrew Quine and Liam are living in a top floor flat originally designed for 7, all rooms not in use are locked, only thing the teachers/builders forget to do is shut the window. As you can guess by now, i enjoyed reading spiderman as a kid so out climbs me from Liam's window, shuffle round the very small window ledge and in through the locked room's open window (bear in mind this is about 4 stories up)! We then had a nice little social/games room for various drinking games, fag breaks etc for the rest of the year with it's on interior lock. Everytime it was discovered and locked again the securing officer would never check the window and within minutes i had it open again!

3years on have and i stopped climbing? Well the police man did find it quite funny when i was caught trying to get into my girlfriends house via the upstairs bathroom window at 2 in the morning.....she was with me (not climbing) and had lost her keys....i'm not a sicko or anything :lol: .

Appologies for length.
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Methinks you should have joined the pair going up Everest...
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

Things that coud have got us killed.

er... an "experiment" with fertiliser, sugar and alcohol?

Shhhhh.... No one died.
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

Top marks to joeleiserach, christhe crisp and debGP for top stories of dangerous games - they brought to mind a time in the 1970's when the whole school got a face lift by the SZERELEMY company who put up scaffolding and cleaned all the brickwork around the school. Now imagine the chapel covered with scaffolding from floor to roof - who wouldn't want to climb up that! - there was even a ladder poking up beyond the tallest bit of scaffold and that was thrillingly dangerous to be up! There were some of us who used to bury aerosol cans in the bocker's bonfire at the back of Barnes B and we would lie in wait to see the bocker jump when the can exploded - and I think some people who shall remain nameless invented a bomb using thousands of Swan Vesta match heads thrust into a copper pipe and folded over and beaten flat at either end - apparently they managed to bring a fully grown tree down - I don't know how the fuse was made and sadly didn't witness this feat of cunning endeavour.
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

huntertitus wrote:Top marks to joeleiserach, christhe crisp and debGP for top stories of dangerous games - they brought to mind a time in the 1970's when the whole school got a face lift by the SZERELEMY company who put up scaffolding and cleaned all the brickwork around the school. Now imagine the chapel covered with scaffolding from floor to roof - who wouldn't want to climb up that! - there was even a ladder poking up beyond the tallest bit of scaffold and that was thrillingly dangerous to be up! There were some of us who used to bury aerosol cans in the bocker's bonfire at the back of Barnes B and we would lie in wait to see the bocker jump when the can exploded - and I think some people who shall remain nameless invented a bomb using thousands of Swan Vesta match heads thrust into a copper pipe and folded over and beaten flat at either end - apparently they managed to bring a fully grown tree down - I don't know how the fuse was made and sadly didn't witness this feat of cunning endeavour.
Was it a pupil with an Irish name who had a number of brothers at CH?
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

AKAP wrote: Was it a pupil with an Irish name who had a number of brothers at CH?
McDaid?
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Rory
Deputy Grecian

Post by Rory »

Oi RR - I think AKAP was trying to be discreet.

Anyway - talking of bombs - didn't one contemporary of ours (German + motorbikes) build a bomb and nearly blew up one of the houemasters flats at the back of Peele in the late 70's???

I went to his stag night yearts later and the lady entertainers took a look at the wedding party and b*ggered off!!