First days at school

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
J.R.
Forum Moderator
Posts: 14809
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:53 pm
Real Name: John Rutley
Location: Dorking, Surrey

Post by J.R. » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:34 pm

The talk of using public phone boxes bought back memories.

I can only remember two.

The main one being in that dark dank corridor to the right hand side of the dining hall, with that gruesome painting of some poor s0d having his leg chewed off by a shark !

There was the other phone box near the old post office, but I can't recall any more !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.

User avatar
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian
Posts: 3120
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:08 pm
Real Name: Richard Ruck
Location: Horsham

Post by Richard Ruck » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:48 pm

More telephone kiosks :

One at the back of Peele
One outside the tuck shop
One outside the back of the Court Room, opposite Lamb A
Was there one near the Prep Block? Can't recall..........
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?

User avatar
Mrs C.
Button Grecian
Posts: 2300
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:22 pm
Real Name: Janet Chandler
Location: C.H.

Post by Mrs C. » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:53 pm

No phone boxes now, although each house has one or 2 public phones, which do actually get used !!

Apart from "squits" not being allowed a mobile for the first term (?) , they are requested not to have any contact with home, other than by letter, until first Leave Weekend (about 3 weeks).
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.

User avatar
graham
GE (Great Erasmus)
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:07 pm
Real Name: Graham Slater
Location: Los Angeles

Post by graham » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:50 pm

On my squits (1990) there was still an old red phone box outside LHA on back ash. Maybe JT will remember whether it worked or not. I didn't go near it through fear of bigger boys (they put me in a wheely bin and rolled my down the hill once).
Graham Slater
Maine B 1990 - 1993, Thorn A 1993 -1997

User avatar
englishangel
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6955
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:22 pm
Real Name: Mary Faulkner (Vincett)
Location: Amersham, Buckinghamshire

Post by englishangel » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:27 pm

Mrs C. wrote:No phone boxes now, although each house has one or 2 public phones, which do actually get used !!

Apart from "squits" not being allowed a mobile for the first term (?) , they are requested not to have any contact with home, other than by letter, until first Leave Weekend (about 3 weeks).
Poor babies, they don't now they are born.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"

User avatar
Ruthie-Baby
Button Grecian
Posts: 2075
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:44 pm
Real Name: Ruth Tyrrell
Location: Horsham
Contact:

Post by Ruthie-Baby » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:24 pm

There was a payphone in each boarding house when I started, and usually a queue. In Col B it was at the bottom of the main stairs with absolutely NO privacy from anyone who may have been in the hall or on the stairs.

Later they moved it to a little room at the back of house, just behind the kitchen across the corridor. My deps diary shows that one evening I hung around in that room waiting for a call for about 3 hours. Lucky I had my diary with me or I'd have been so bored.

I got a mobile in freshers week in uni, I was so impressed with the idea you could take your own phone with you everywhere! Would have been very handy at school...!

On our squits we were not allowed to contact our parents until the first leave-day, so for 3 weeks. Apart from maybe by letter. Didn't make any difference to me, I was still miserable!
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97

Vonny
Button Grecian
Posts: 1624
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:33 pm
Real Name: Yvonne Payne

Post by Vonny » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:16 pm

Ruthie-Baby wrote:There was a payphone in each boarding house when I started, and usually a queue. In Col B it was at the bottom of the main stairs with absolutely NO privacy from anyone who may have been in the hall or on the stairs.
Sounds the same as we had in BaB. Was particularly annoying for us as one of the deps used to get phone calls most evenings from her boyfriend and would take roost on the stairs for a couple of hours (or more :shock: ) which obviously meant no one else could make or receive calls :twisted:

Can't imagine the luxuries of mobiles or the internet at CH.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41

User avatar
Ruthie-Baby
Button Grecian
Posts: 2075
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:44 pm
Real Name: Ruth Tyrrell
Location: Horsham
Contact:

Post by Ruthie-Baby » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:55 pm

Vonny wrote:
Ruthie-Baby wrote:There was a payphone in each boarding house when I started, and usually a queue. In Col B it was at the bottom of the main stairs with absolutely NO privacy from anyone who may have been in the hall or on the stairs.
Sounds the same as we had in BaB. Was particularly annoying for us as one of the deps used to get phone calls most evenings from her boyfriend and would take roost on the stairs for a couple of hours (or more :shock: ) which obviously meant no one else could make or receive calls :twisted:

Can't imagine the luxuries of mobiles or the internet at CH.
Strangely we had the internet but not mobiles.

And yet in life outside CH I've had a mobile for years but not yet the internet. :?
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97

User avatar
jtaylor
Forum Administrator
Posts: 1646
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:32 am
Real Name: Julian Taylor-Gadd
Location: Wantage, OXON
Contact:

Post by jtaylor » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:02 pm

graham wrote:On my squits (1990) there was still an old red phone box outside LHA on back ash. Maybe JT will remember whether it worked or not. I didn't go near it through fear of bigger boys (they put me in a wheely bin and rolled my down the hill once).
Yes, worked in my day, although soon after I joined we had a payphone installed in each house.
This was located under the fire-escape stairs towards the back of the house.
The memory of the smell and slightly sweaty mouthpiece when you followed someone in who'd been in there ages.........especially in the junior houses!
I'm surprised health-and-safety hasn't banned such an unhiegenic thing as sharing a phone mouth-piece!!

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Image
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
http://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.

User avatar
Great Plum
Button Grecian
Posts: 5173
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:59 am
Real Name: Matt Holdsworth
Location: Reigate

Post by Great Plum » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:55 am

The pay phone in Maine A was very close to my study (my study was a curious little room on the ground floor)

A dep used to phone his girlfriend at about 2.30 in the morning and she used to phone back - it got to the stage where I used to leave the phone off the hook once I went to bed...)
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99

mr tall

Post by mr tall » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:43 pm

J.R. wrote:The main one being in that dark dank corridor to the right hand side of the dining hall, with that gruesome painting of some poor s0d having his leg chewed off by a shark !
For those of you who don't know, the school flogged that painting to America not so long ago. Rather a shame really, great painting about a great hero.

User avatar
Great Plum
Button Grecian
Posts: 5173
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:59 am
Real Name: Matt Holdsworth
Location: Reigate

Post by Great Plum » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:10 am

mr tall wrote:
J.R. wrote:The main one being in that dark dank corridor to the right hand side of the dining hall, with that gruesome painting of some poor s0d having his leg chewed off by a shark !
For those of you who don't know, the school flogged that painting to America not so long ago. Rather a shame really, great painting about a great hero.
That's not there anymore? Shame...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99

User avatar
J.R.
Forum Moderator
Posts: 14809
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:53 pm
Real Name: John Rutley
Location: Dorking, Surrey

Post by J.R. » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:38 pm

Great Plum wrote:
mr tall wrote:
J.R. wrote:The main one being in that dark dank corridor to the right hand side of the dining hall, with that gruesome painting of some poor s0d having his leg chewed off by a shark !
For those of you who don't know, the school flogged that painting to America not so long ago. Rather a shame really, great painting about a great hero.
That's not there anymore? Shame...
At least 42 years since I saw it last, but it's still clear in my mind.

Can anyone remember the exact story involved ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.

mikef
2nd Former
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:32 pm
Real Name: Michael francis
Location: Chichester

Post by mikef » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:03 pm

On the mattert of the painting outside the courtroom of the Mayor to be having his leg bitten of off. there is no a reasonable copy in its place as it was sold to cope with "Financial Problems" as happened with several of some of the lesser paintings as well.
Michael Francis
Peele b 1997-2003
Grecians West 2003-2004

User avatar
Great Plum
Button Grecian
Posts: 5173
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:59 am
Real Name: Matt Holdsworth
Location: Reigate

Post by Great Plum » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:05 am

Oh well, I guess the need of the pupils must come above paintings!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests