Pregnancy of 1968

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

Laura 1983
2nd Former

Pregnancy of 1968

Post by Laura 1983 »

Does anyone remember whether there was a female teacher/member of staff that left before of during March 1968? If so what was her name?
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Pregnancy of 1968

Post by Mid A 15 »

Laura 1983 wrote:Does anyone remember whether there was a female teacher/member of staff that left before of during March 1968? If so what was her name?
Back in 1968 there were two separate schools. Horsham where the boys were and Hertford where the girls were.

Would I be correct to presume from your other thread that you are referring to Horsham?
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Laura 1983
2nd Former

Post by Laura 1983 »

Yes you are correct I was referring to the Horsham campus. Do you know any memebers of female staff that left during that period?
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Laura 1983 wrote:Yes you are correct I was referring to the Horsham campus. Do you know any memebers of female staff that left during that period?
I have sent you a private message. Probably not much help though.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Can you enlarge at all, Laura ??

As I recall 1960 - 1963 there were only two female teaching staff. The wonderful Nell Todd and a semi-retired woman that came in as required and taught Maths. She also seemed to relish taking detention clasees. I cannot recall her name, but I know she lived just to the south of Horsham Town centre, off the road that leads up towards Tower Hill.

Her name MIGHT come back to me, but at my age..................
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

J.R. wrote:Can you enlarge at all, Laura ??

As I recall 1960 - 1963 there were only two female teaching staff. The wonderful Nell Todd and a semi-retired woman that came in as required and taught Maths. She also seemed to relish taking detention clasees. I cannot recall her name, but I know she lived just to the south of Horsham Town centre, off the road that leads up towards Tower Hill.

John,

From my memories of her Nell Todd was probably too old at the time Laura is referring to.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Mid A 15 wrote:

John,

From my memories of her Nell Todd was probably too old at the time Laura is referring to.
Nell taught for quite a few years after I left in '63. I know we had a long chat on one of my return visits around 66 or so.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Can't remember her teaching Maths as I had classes with her in the Classics block when I was 2nd form. An old b.....axe called Mrs Hurst, who, guessing from her grey hair, getting on in years.
I wasn't there in 1968, but had you included the maids as staff, then then the story might run.
mr tall

Post by mr tall »

Mrs Masson. Wife of 'Pop'. I shudder from the memory.

The strap line was : One day, when you have nothing on and I have nothing on, I will teach you how to multiply'.

Nell, on the other hand, was lovely. She retired after contracting brucellosis (yes, that is possible for humans) in '69 when I left. I visited her a few times at her amazing place in Edinburgh when I was up at the Festival. I cant remember which year she died in, but there was a big sale of her paintings in the Art School and I just managed to afford two small ones (student on a grant) which I cherish to this day. She was the one person who made CH bearable.
mr tall

Post by mr tall »

Sorry, Richard Lane made it bearable too.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

jhopgood wrote:

Can't remember her teaching Maths as I had classes with her in the Classics block when I was 2nd form. An old b.....axe called Mrs Hurst, who, guessing from her grey hair, getting on in years.
I wasn't there in 1968, but had you included the maids as staff, then then the story might run.
Thats her, John !

I totally agree about the lovely Nell making life bearable at C.H.
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

mr tall wrote:The strap line was : One day, when you have nothing on and I have nothing on, I will teach you how to multiply.
????????????????????????????????????????????? :?:
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

I remember both Nell Todd and Mrs Hurst - she indeed taught me in the Classics block when I moved up from the Prep into the Third Form in 1949. I was then, after one term, promoted to the Lower Fourth. She seemed old even then. I made a reference to her in an early posting on the forum, but I cannot find it now and I think JT must have binned it. Somebody replied telling the story of Mrs Hurst in later years until her demise, but I fear that this little morsel of Housey history is now lost forever in cyberspace.

I also remember Mrs Olive Peto who I believe may have taught German. Although she never taught me (and perhaps because of that fact) I believe she survived at Housey for many years. Indeed, were it not for the fact that I would certainly be made to look foolish, I would say that she taught until comparatively recently (say within the last 30 years or so).
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
sport!
Deputy Grecian

Post by sport! »

DavebytheSea wrote:I also remember Mrs Olive Peto who I believe may have taught German. Although she never taught me (and perhaps because of that fact) I believe she survived at Housey for many years. Indeed, were it not for the fact that I would certainly be made to look foolish, I would say that she taught until comparatively recently (say within the last 30 years or so).
Mrs Peto was definitely still teaching in the early-to-mid 70s. I believe she taught English.
BaB, ColB 1973-80
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

sport! wrote:
DavebytheSea wrote:I also remember Mrs Olive Peto who I believe may have taught German. Although she never taught me (and perhaps because of that fact) I believe she survived at Housey for many years. Indeed, were it not for the fact that I would certainly be made to look foolish, I would say that she taught until comparatively recently (say within the last 30 years or so).
Mrs Peto was definitely still teaching in the early-to-mid 70s. I believe she taught English.
Yes Mrs Peto taught me for a year.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72