So, the underground tunnels...

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

DavebytheSea wrote:
Simon Kerruish wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote: "Fully-aged" indeed! I'm 44, and I very much hope that I still have some ageing left to do....
I'm 47 with 3 teenage daughters so I qualify for old aged.
I'm 68 and English Angel, Jude etc think I have had my development arrested somewhere in late adolescence. They have this theory that some chromosome or other makes it impossible for us males ever to reach full maturity. (At least, I think that's what they say.)

.... and apparently the numbers of grown up daughters one has is totally irrelevant.
.............TELL ME ABOUT IT !!!!!!

Do you get bossed by them as much as I do ???
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
hoob
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: clipboard man

Post by hoob »

marty wrote:anyone remember the clipboard man ? He used to wander the grounds (with clipboard) randomly talking to people. Don't think he ever managed any kind of crime but we were warned against talking to anyone answering his description...
Interesting....We also had a "clipboard man" or similar in the mid-80s. Stories of watching the Lamb A lav-ends from the science block fire escape.....
Mike
Mab/MaA 1981 - 1988
Why is there so much month left at the end of my money?
Paul N
3rd Former

Post by Paul N »

sejintenej wrote:Simon Kerruish at 47? a mere babe in arms :wink:

As for drink I did quite a trade in making and selling Ginger Beer in Col A- the only way I could get pocket money for the tuck shop.
Someone used to make a foul concoction involving rasberries and shoe polish!!!!
Cool - I once brewed some sloe wine with sloes collected from a hedge on SHarpenhurst - I brewed it in my tuck locker of all places !
Maine B, then Lamb B, 76-83
Paul N
3rd Former

Re: exploring

Post by Paul N »

James Holdsworth had a complete set of tube master keys, and got chased down the tube by his house master, Crud McCall, who had photocopied a detailed map of the tube that James had made on the back of his maths book.

Apparently Crud found a loud of nicked alchohol (neat) from the sicker and some live .303 rifle runs in James's den.

James was then expelled - another victim of the evil Tube.
Paul N
3rd Former

Post by Paul N »

tobeconfirmed wrote:
It transpired that one of the 'bockers' had decided that enough was enough, and suspended himself by his neck to the over-head pipes.
That's amazing that the word 'bocker' has been going on so long!
Only the other day I was wondering if a film had come out called "Meet the Bockers" !
priapism
2nd Former

Re: So, the underground tunnels...

Post by priapism »

Cyanide, like carbon monoxide, is almost unnoticeable. It'll give you a headache and make you feel drowsy, but before you realise there's a problem, you might end up unconscious. My money is on the toilet chemical being a common or garden acidic gas.

Of course, the official explanation was that a cleaner left a urinal deodorant on a radiator. Although having observed the Keystone Chemists in action, someone decided not to push it, and returned the purloined jars of thiodiglycol and phosphorous trichloride to Glyn James's chemistry store. Allegedly.

Someone else who was playing around with poison gas in the early 90's (and I don't have to say "allegedly", because he's hardly likely to sue now) is this charming fellow. Unfortunately, during the first Gulf War, one of his Scud missiles veered off course, straight towards Roger Hackett's physics class. Allegedly.

And if you don't want to see Mr. Flapfat hammer on the headmaster's door, impotent with rage, whatever you do, don't mention Yahweh's Hospital. Allegedly.

Superficially unrelated to the film of the same name, the Candyman club involved a certain recently-published book (now on the web), given rather incongruously as a chemistry prize, and a close group of friends who would, shall we say, re-enact passages from it. Double allegedly.

Oh, and that explosive radiator paint Julian mentions was presumably nitrogen tri-iodide.

By the way, I'm curious as to what happened to that litre bottle of amyl nitrite left Down Under as a going-away present. Allegedly.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Fascinating stuff Priapism, but I'm not sure I followed all of that!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

His 'real-name' is somewhat interesting as well !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Wuppertal
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Wuppertal »

I found myself laughing throughout reading his fascinating encyclopaedic description of poisonous gasses, even including detailed references just for our erudition. Highly amusing!

Please write more posts like that!
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

This is on the West Sussex County Times website

http://www.wscountytimes.co.uk/news/Sec ... 4174623.jp
paddy
3rd Former

Re: clipboard man

Post by paddy »

hoob wrote:
marty wrote:anyone remember the clipboard man ? He used to wander the grounds (with clipboard) randomly talking to people. Don't think he ever managed any kind of crime but we were warned against talking to anyone answering his description...
Interesting....We also had a "clipboard man" or similar in the mid-80s. Stories of watching the Lamb A lav-ends from the science block fire escape.....
I remember a (mythical?) "mirror man". Reputed to let himself into the toilet cubicles, and then sneak a mirror under the wall of the next cubicle along. Yikes.
----

paddy eason
Barnes A, Lamb B, Maine A (I think....!) 1978 - 1985
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

Feeling very excluded here!!

We only had catacombs at Hertford although I know you could get under the chapel and hold the odd seance or two - is it my imagination or was part of the CH induction of newbies by those more established to blindfold us and take us down into the shoe cleaning/luggage staorage bit ofthe cellars and make us touch disgusting things without shrieking or peeing? (Sounds weird but I mean hands in baked beans puporting to the be the brains of those girls who died under the drive in WWII - you know the sort of thing!)

So, any of my more venerable sisters going to step up and confess? :!:
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

I remember setting up a sort of walking/crawling ghost train in 6's. It may have been on the evening of Ascension Day. No baked beans, but feather dusters pretending to be spiders. It was just meant to be a bit of fun, but I foolishly said that none of the juniors were allowed tea until they'd been through. Later I found one of the younger ones crying because she'd taken me seriously.

PS where were the catacombs?
Mary
CH 1965-1972
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

I remember setting up a sort of walking/crawling ghost train in 6's. It may have been on the evening of Ascension Day. No baked beans, but feather dusters pretending to be spiders. It was just meant to be a bit of fun, but I foolishly said that none of the juniors were allowed tea until they'd been through. Later I found one of the younger ones crying because she'd taken me seriously.

PS where were the catacombs?
Aha, I though I recognised your voice!! No seriously, you could well be right on Ascension Day, I certainly don't remember Hallyween being enacted for anything!

In the cellar of 2 there was a bricked up archway right at the back of the racks where the shoe cleaning stuff was kept which I was told used to lead to tunnels under the main drive; there was definitely one behind the luggage racks in the cellar as I remember squeezing down the back of one and sticking my head through a hole in the wall there and could breathe (sort of) so air was coming from somewhere; under the little room at the side of the altar in the chapel there was a litle doorway that led down the steps to under the chapel (the crypt I suppose) and there was a tunnel exit/entrance that led off from there but I could never track where it ended up; last but not least in the bushes behind the chapel on the fence sideof the chapel there was a rusty grating set low down in the wall and you could see with a torch that it led off somewhere. Tried quite hard (meaning hacksaws and when they broke asking leading questions about acid in chemi and being stalked by the teacher for days afterwards, god knows what she thought I was going to do with it!!)

(What? So I had five brothers....!!)

And that's all I know!!!
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

I'm beginning to understand how you managed to get yourself the boot, Gerrie! :twisted: