So, the underground tunnels...

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

consi
2nd Former

Re:

Post by consi »

Now, I know this is a long time after the original post(!) but in case you were interested, I remember talking to one of the Chemistry teachers at Old Blues Day a long time back about the 'bomb'. It was actually a bottle of Picric Acid (TNP) - Wikipedia's got some useful info about it. It was used for fixing chemicals and apparently also has uses in the field of forensics. I did enjoy Chemistry at CH - A Level with Doc James, who was a lovely man. Didn't do myself proud in the exams, but still enjoyed learning from him :-)
Andy Friend wrote:I remember the "bomb" well. It happened on my second form and provided us with much amusement. You are quite right; the bang was dissapointing but the arrival of the bomb squad was quite entertaining!
jtaylor wrote:Anthony Moss was indeed a very bright guy, and do recall he was quiet and unassuming, but people did wonder what he was capable of, and what he was up to!

I was in the choir, but don't remember that incident - maybe a rehearsal I didn't make it to (and there were quite a few!) I don't remember hearing about it though.

On the subject of chemicals, anyone else remember when we had the bomb disposal guys turn up, to remove a bottle of TNT from the chemistry labs?? Builders were moving a cupboard, and found a bottle behind it. On inspection it was clearly something which would have turned into TNT (sure a chemist will tell me what this might have been?)
Bomb squad turned up, army-man-in-jumper walks into the lab, picks up the bottle, puts it in a padded box.
Taken out to big-side and blown up - quite a bit of entertainment!

J
ColeridgeA40
2nd Former

Re: So, the underground tunnels...

Post by ColeridgeA40 »

John Wexler
I'm still looking for that photo referred to - but I have seen yours and they are v.good indeed, especially Kirby's lab, though couldn't spot any of his famous short wave radios. MY brother, also in Col A kept his hampster in Kirbys Lab

the author you introduced to us was Gerald Kersh
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Re: So, the underground tunnels...

Post by postwarblue »

I managed to get through CH without even knowing there was a coal-hole in the Tube. Nor do I recollect, as Col B Trades Mon 1953-4, there being a coal heaving Trade. There were certainly study fires, one second mon (a Maths Grecian who should have known better as he would have been taking a Physics A level) put a can of baked beans on his fire to warm up. The explosion and its results were spectacular.
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'