Mr.Grimshaw.......

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

The various entries above to Sir Norman Wisdom make him appear dead. As of today's date, at least, he's still alive.

We had a boy in our house (Terence Lidington -- are you out there?) who did a passable Norman Wisdom impersonation.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

michael scuffil wrote:The various entries above to Sir Norman Wisdom make him appear dead. As of today's date, at least, he's still alive.

We had a boy in our house (Terence Lidington -- are you out there?) who did a passable Norman Wisdom impersonation.

Mr Grimsdale ???????????????????????
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Crippen
3rd Former

Re: Mr.Grimshaw.......

Post by Crippen »

Here's a photo of the man in his element. Can't believe I still have this. I found it on the floor somewhere at school in the last few weeks I was there in 1981.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42577252@N00/2371025828/
Crippen
3rd Former

Post by Crippen »

Ahem... that ain't right. Meant the photo to be shown, not a link. Here goes again:
Thepuss
2nd Former

Re:

Post by Thepuss »

Crippen wrote:Mr. Grimshaw lost his bike, which had apparently been thrown into Doctor's Lake by one of his many disgruntled pupils, where, I dare say, it still a-rusts undisturbed...

True.... except for the bell, which was "rung" repeatedly behind his back whenever a large enough group of those involved were together, and thus sure of him not being able to discover who had the bell!

He did rather go looking for smokers, which didn't endear him to people, but none-the-less he was an excellent craft & tech teacher, and helped get me a 'A' at A-Level Design... which surprised everyone, not least me!

Thepuss
Requested Removal 18
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Requested Removal 18 »

KHG was, in my personal opinion a firm but fair kind of guy, and as previously stated, extremely organised. He was my Junior Housemaster in Maine B for 3 years in the mid 80s. He was also a massive disciplinarian, and would take great delight in allowing his UF monitors to dish out a House Drill should it be required.

These were a lap of the Infirmary loop before lunch on one day per week, and if you got a double, then it was obviously 2 laps. If you managed to get more than 2 per week, you usually were given what was known as "Hard Labour". This took place on a Sunday morning (at 7 til 8am) and usually involved shifting logs he'd cut to his log store by his house. Other punishments were dished out...

I remember him having enormous hands, so much so that he could outstretch his fingers and pick up a basketball on the floor from the top using just one hand. This to an 11 year old boy was astonishing.

He occasionally read ghost stories by candlelight in the dorms, which were quite amusing. He was also known for randomly doing a dormitory "walk" at times, making sure that nobody was misbehaving. Sometimes he would sit on a random settle and just stay there for a few minutes, presumably waiting to see if anyone was going to step out of line. One such evening, there had been a Theatre production rehearsal and KHG was usually extremely anxious to make sure everyone was back in the house and doing as they should. A guy called Eldred Stevenson (who was known to be a little disruptive on occasions) had obviously had a run-in with KHG earlier, and came into the dorm chanting "Ken! Ken! KEN!" ever more loudly. A northern voice rang out from the darkness "Good evening Eldred. My study please..."

KHG was not liked by a lot of people, but I did once have the need to chat to him about bad experiences I was having at the time; you probably would not have found a more supportive Housemaster when the chips were down. If you made sure you kept on his good side he was alright. If you didn't however, your card was forever marked.
carterusm94
2nd Former

Re:

Post by carterusm94 »

marty wrote:I don't know if this is true or not but I heard that Mr Grimshaw used to get all his new squits together for a lovely informal chat about the dangers of self abuse. I think the phrase he was alleged to have begun his little talk with was: "now I want to talk to you about masturbation!"

Can anyone confirm or deny this?
When I was a third form there was a spate of this sort of thing amongst the L.E and Mr.Grimshaw sought to counter this problem with a "chat" to all of Maine B. He prefaced this "chat" thusly
" Wanking , tossing , call it what you will ....."
He continued
"I know this can be pleasurable.I should know , I'm a married man.."
AWKward!!!
Michael Carter Maine 87-94
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: Re:

Post by sejintenej »

[quote="carterusm94"]
When I was a third form there was a spate of this sort of thing amongst the L.E and Mr.Grimshaw sought to counter this problem with a "chat" to all of Maine B. He prefaced this "chat" thusly
" Wanking , tossing , call it what you will ....."

Seems honest enough but whether it had any effect only the guilty could know. Kit Aitken had the saying (which applies here) "Call a spade a spade and not a bl**dy shovel"
carterusm94
2nd Former

Re:

Post by carterusm94 »

Ash wrote:
FrogBoxed wrote:Didn't he have a dog he used to send into the Cut and other such smokey dens?
His dog was called Rambo... Little sh1t ...
I remember the night rambo (aka rammie) was run over and killed . Needless to say the news was met with glee by us pupils.
Michael Carter Maine 87-94