Roger Martin

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

I knew Roger Martin

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes: 45

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

mperry wrote:
icomefromalanddownunder wrote:Hmmmm, well that would depend on how well behaved the dog is ......... I just can't envisage any of our dogs returning to heel if I were trying to bellow 'Eth-el-dre-da! Come!' as they took off down the paddock after a kangaroo.

Maybe clicker training would be called for?
She certainly answered to Etheldreda. I can remember RM being very strict when she was introduced to Barnes A as a puppy that she was not to be called "Ethel"!
This is good Mr Perry. Member for over a year and your second post is regarding a dog "NOT to be called Ethel.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
MB1981
2nd Former

Post by MB1981 »

Roger Martin was my housemaster in Barnes A from 1974-77. Really helped me as it took me a long time for me to settle into CH life when I joined.

Etheldreda turned up later after I'd moved into the senior houses.
mperry
2nd Former

Post by mperry »

englishangel wrote:This is good Mr Perry. Member for over a year and your second post is regarding a dog "NOT to be called Ethel.
My apologies for not saying too much, but another thing I remember RM saying to us when we were squits was "Eyes and Ears open - MOUTH SHUT" As I'm still one here (even after over a year) I'll try to only post when I've got something useful to say!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Well I hope we give you a giggle, belly laugh or even just a wry smile from time to time.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

2 years in a row (le & uf) I had him for French, he taught we so well that 1/2 way through the year I went up a set and got Mr Hayley who then failed to teach me more so I went back down the following year

And the dog used to sit in the classroom and fart - and it smelt when it rained.

However he did resurrect the photography club in a darkroom behind the manual school in 1986/7 after the previous attempt (Mr Fleming in a darkroom int the prepblock in 82/3) had failed. gave me a place to homebrew (loft hatch in their had a padlock but the hasp wasn't attached to the wall)
Crippen
3rd Former

Post by Crippen »

Roger 'Dodger' Martin taught me Latin, and did that rare thing for teachers at the time, actually engaged us by highlighting the relevance of what many considered a 'dead' language, by introducing us to the frankly saucy poems of Catullus. This was great for 14 year olds. He did, however, smoke a pipe almost constantly, and had the inescapable breath that goes with it.
Thepuss
2nd Former

Re:

Post by Thepuss »

mperry wrote:
icomefromalanddownunder wrote:Hmmmm, well that would depend on how well behaved the dog is ......... I just can't envisage any of our dogs returning to heel if I were trying to bellow 'Eth-el-dre-da! Come!' as they took off down the paddock after a kangaroo.

Maybe clicker training would be called for?
She certainly answered to Etheldreda. I can remember RM being very strict when she was introduced to Barnes A as a puppy that she was not to be called "Ethel"!

And on her first big outing as a pup, to Heathrow airport, to pick up one of Roger's Kenyan School-master friends, Etheldreda pooped on the concourse!

I can still remember the "hutch"/compound he built for her in the courtyard bit behind the house master's study area, with the words "mbwa kali" - Swahili for "Dangerous dog"!

Thepuss... one time "Elthedreda" handler.
Requested Removal 18
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Roger Martin

Post by Requested Removal 18 »

Roger Martin taught me English on the GE, and he was a fantastic teacher. Eltheldreda always accompanied him into the classroom, and he quite often smoked a pipe on the way to class. One day he put said pipe in his pocket at the beginning of the lesson and then started to teach for 10 minutes or so, quite unaware that his pocket was starting to smoulder.

Eventually he noticed, and there was a very gentle "Sorry folks, I seem to have set myself on fire". He removed the pipe, put out the smouldering pocket and simply carried on.

I spent a lot of time in the ressurrected darkroom (usually actually doing photogrphic stuff!!), and I can attribute many of my good photos to the use of that place, which was all down to Roger.
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

I also spent a lot of time in that darkroom with Tim wright - mostly photography (including some interesting solarisation experiments using coloured black and white photographic paper (as in it was not a white base colour) sourced by i believe elliot Miles. But also the odd bit of homebrew wine done in the loft above it that looking at the debris there had last been used in the 70's for smoking and reading of "informational - human biology magazines". I believe Tim was at the time the only pupil with his own key (withpermission) due to the amount of development he did.

For those of you who don't know the darkroom was actually behind the manual/cdt school in the room next to the model railway club - prior to that it was actually resurrected initially by Neil Fleming in about 1983 in a smaller room in the downstairs of the prep block almost opposite the corridor into the little chapel and Rev Porteus' Div classroom.

I found out after i left the school that he had actually been the only conduit allowing my father to keep track of my schooling (having split with my mother when i was 6) as he used to mend mr Martins washing machine and get an update from him - I didn't actually meet my Father again until i was 21 and rarely saw my fraternal grandparents (despite them living in new road southwater) so it was his only way of tracking me
pierre
3rd Former

Post by pierre »

Well remember Roger Martin's Austin J4 or JU250 type caravannette WAM 115.
On one occasion he took a party of us to see the London to Brighton Veteran car run.
By turning the engine off whilst on the move, coasting a few yards, then turning the engine back on again, he managed to produce spectacular backfires. The faces on the victim veteran car drivers were spectacular!!
PrepA39/BA11/THA26
MrEd
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by MrEd »

I was taught French by Roger Martin (along with the adored Etheldreda) in 1978. He as a great teacher. Part-way through the year, we moved onto the next text book, mine was a battered old book, and the first pupil's name in it was 'Roger Martin', which got us a 5-minute Red Herring fom Roger about his schooldays.
keibat
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by keibat »

It's 7 (seven) years since anyone posted on this thread, which I hadn't noticed until relatively recently. And then a fellow Old Blue posted a link to the YouTube segments of the Remembrance Day Service 1988; and having myself for the first time led a Remembrance Sunday service just last weekend (10.11.2013), I went to watch these on YouTube; and there, on segment 3, towards the end, is the Roger Martin that I knew, if only fleetingly, declaiming first Rupert Brooke's easy patriotic pieties from the the First World War and then OB Edmund Blunden's much more perceptive and poignant poetry.
This Roger – I know nothing of the other one – was a pupil in Barnes B, and I inherited his laundry number (BB 32). From time to time he turned up on a visit, and of course eventually joined the staff, tho' that was well past my time. He left a very *warm* impression.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

keibat wrote:It's 7 (seven) years since anyone posted on this thread, which I hadn't noticed until relatively recently. And then a fellow Old Blue posted a link to the YouTube segments of the Remembrance Day Service 1988; and having myself for the first time led a Remembrance Sunday service just last weekend (10.11.2013), I went to watch these on YouTube; and there, on segment 3, towards the end, is the Roger Martin that I knew, if only fleetingly, declaiming first Rupert Brooke's easy patriotic pieties from the the First World War and then OB Edmund Blunden's much more perceptive and poignant poetry.
This Roger – I know nothing of the other one – was a pupil in Barnes B, and I inherited his laundry number (BB 32). From time to time he turned up on a visit, and of course eventually joined the staff, tho' that was well past my time. He left a very *warm* impression.
Keith, you accuse me of remembering stange things, but I'm sure even you remember the candlelit and frankly somewhat camp performance of the St Matthew Passion in chapel on Passion Sunday in 1956, which RM organized with Corks. I recall it because I was roped in as a candle-bearer, but you must have been in the choir.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
PhilipOsedumme
2nd Former

Post by PhilipOsedumme »

MB1981 wrote:Roger Martin was my housemaster in Barnes A from 1974-77. Really helped me as it took me a long time for me to settle into CH life when I joined.

Etheldreda turned up later after I'd moved into the senior houses.