Corporal Punishment......

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

menace wrote:
Anyone remember the math teacher who would throw chalk (fairly accurately) at any boy talking in class?
YES ! Bob ?? And I'll have to think of his Surname !

He is still alive and well, and I met him last year at a house re-union.

When it comes to me, I'll post !
Last edited by J.R. on Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

LAMMA LOOKER.

The Welshman you are referring too, must surely be

NORMAN T FRYER. (My Housemaster in Col. B) )Not the Maths teacher I'm thinking of !)

I believe NTF commited suicide on moving from C.H. to another school. In his day, he played for London-Welsh.
Lamma looker
3rd Former

Post by Lamma looker »

JR, yes, you're right. I'd got the Norman bit
A healthy mind is a sign of a mis-spent youth
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

J.R. wrote:LAMMA LOOKER.

NORMAN T FRYER. (My Housemaster in Col. B) )Not the Maths teacher I'm thinking of !)

I believe NTF commited suicide on moving from C.H. to another school. In his day, he played for London-Welsh.
'Bogie' Fryer - he taught me as well. He did take his own life. For your information, he's buried in Itchingfield Churchyard.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Richard Ruck wrote:
J.R. wrote:LAMMA LOOKER.

'Bogie' Fryer - he taught me as well. He did take his own life. For your information, he's buried in Itchingfield Churchyard.
Thanks Richard !

I only heard recently, and maybe what I was told at Col B re-union might have become somewhat embellished.

I wad told, he was asked, to find alternative employment. (No idea why), and took a job at a girls school, (?), which he found well below what he was accustomed to at C.H. - Came home one day, took a service revolver out and shot himself.

Great shame, although he and I didn't exactly see eye-to-eye, (he beat me at least twice), his family were WONDERFUL people. His wife was like a second Mum !
menace
3rd Former

Post by menace »

You guys have longer memories than I. Thank you. haven't thought of any of these people in years. Sorry to hear about Fryer. Jessondribley taught me english and religion (of all things). Good man.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

J.R. wrote:
menace wrote:
Anyone remember the math teacher who would throw chalk (fairly accurately) at any boy talking in class?
YES ! Bob ?? And I'll have to think of his Surname !

He is still alive and weel, and I met him last year at a house re-union.

When it comes to me, I'll post !
Still can't think of his SURNAME. His classromm was overlooking the new quad, AND he was a dead shot with a bit of chalk or a black-board rubber !
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Marvellous what a good nights sleep can do.

It came to me this morning ! (So did the answer !)

Mr RAE, (or RAY though I'm sure it's RAE.)

Anyones bells getting rung out there ?
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote:Marvellous what a good nights sleep can do.

It came to me this morning ! (So did the answer !)

Mr RAE, (or RAY though I'm sure it's RAE.)

Anyones bells getting rung out there ?
Rae: oic ATC in my day. After Cert A some of them went off pulling gliders off the ground on the north playing fields.

(that's Officer in Charge, not an off colour erk)
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
menace
3rd Former

Post by menace »

JR
you are quite correct it was Rae. He was lethal with a piece of chalk. Seem to recall he was a halfway decent teacher too, but I never got the hang of mechanics.
eloisec
Deputy Grecian

Post by eloisec »

Bob Rae was something like second master when I got to CH. He always looked quite scary!

The top brass were Poulton, Rae, Cairncross and Sillett. Now that was a formidable team! Well ... Poulton wasn't exactly formidable but you know what I mean!
Eloise Carpenter
Col.A 87-94
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Glad my memory did ring some bells.

When at the Col B Re-union last year, I was introduced to him. He seemed much smaller than I remembered him, though age had been kind.

He HADN'T lost any of his rapier wit. I told him my name and years at Housey, to which he replied along the lines of,

"Don't actually remember you, so I must have done SOMETHING right with your education !"

I pointed ot a 'prank' I had instigated in his classroom, wondering if that would jog his memory.

His face beamed, and he replied, "Ar Yes ! Now I remember.... !"
helen
UF (Upper Fourth)

corp. pun./a bit of history-let's hope!

Post by helen »

"There is the appalling case of twelve year old William Gibbs at Christ's Hospital in 1877. After a caning for gross insolence to the gym master and then, having run away to his sister, a public flogging, he became too terrified to return to school. He was forced back by his father and locked into his room to await his fate. . . .two hours later he was found dangling by a cord from the window, strangled to death. There was a public outcry . . . ."
(From the The Old School Tie - Jonathan Gathorne Hardy, 1977). Charles Lamb, of course, gives his own gruesome record of life at CH. Are his works on the school curriculum??
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

.... which just goes to prove how times change.

'Public' beatings with the cane weren't carried out in my day. They were administered in the privacy of the masters study.

One master, (who shall remain nameless), used to clear the furniture to the sides of the room, allowing himself a three pace charge, as the offender bent over in the corner, knees straight, touching his toes.

HOWEVER. House punishments in Prep B, (with a gym-shoe), WERE administered in the dorms. by the housemaster, (over pyjama bottoms), in front of the whole dorm. (30 pupils to an open dorm, I believe.)

Were these the 'GoodOld Days', I ask myself :?:
Keithbyatt
2nd Former

Re: Corporal Punishment......

Post by Keithbyatt »

jtaylor wrote:So who got the cane, the slipper, or anything else?
Pupil's don't know how good they have it these days - they just don't know they're born! (I sounds about 85 now!)

Add your stories, reasons for punishment, and what happened.

My only experience of corporal punishment was 6 whacks with a Dunlop Greenflash trainer, delivered by my junior housemaster Bob Sillett, for being overheard saying "It's not f**king funny". I was commenting on someone else who Bob had just "slippered", when someone was laughing at him and thinking it was funny. Rough justice I thought at the time, but Bob was in a bit of bad mood!
I don't blame him at all (much!) - I think a school with the threat of decent punishments helps keep the kids knowing who's in charge.
Back in the early 60's ( violin sounds in background) when Leigh Hunt was Prep A and B, we were all inspected every night bu the house Matron, who checked whether you were adequatly washed or not. If you failed inspection, a D was marked in the register and you were sent back to re-wash the offending area of your body. Re-inspection then followed, if you were still dirty, you received a Double D. Upon achieved the heights of 3 D's you were slippered, and the record zeroed again. All good fun.