Fashions in Music at CH

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

Ash
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Ash »

PPS

Its nice to shoot the breeze with people from my year, all those years ago.. Thanks for that...(although I didn't really know you Adam all that well) :D

Its also nice to know that people over 30 still have good taste in music too... What with your Arctic Klaxons, The Viewers, The Gossipers and other such modern music for "the kids" these days...

I tried Psychocandy on my mate's 16 year old and he thought it was just noise.. Which is probably something your average 30 something's dad might have said about our taste in music. Very strange, that.

He then went on to sing the praises of Razor-****-sh1t.... Hmmm, I thought. I won't play him My bl**dy Valentine, then... Nor will he listen when I try and explain that Razor-****-sh1t just sound like a cross between Springsteen and Elvis Costello. But not as good.

We did share an understanding of punk and hardcore, but he called it EMO or something. I didn't know Emo Phillips had a band, so was rather confused by this.

What's the world coming to? The youth of today, etc. I'm sticking to my "grandad" music as my mates son puts it.. Sonic Youth? grandad music? How very dare you.
MAINE A/B 1981 - 1986

BRING BACK BAKER
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

I've really enjoyed following this thread, although I confess Costello and Springsteen were the only names with any real meaning. The contemporary music scene at CH obviously took off in a big way in later years (i.e. after the mid 70s...).

But what really made me chuckle was the evident realisation that... but wait, what's that I hear...? Ah yes, the gentle strains of Middle Age creeping up on you all! :lol: :lol:
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

G'day Phil

Sitting her glowing and chomping on a Vegmite sandwich :lol:

Have you heard The Boss' album, whose name escapes me - not the latest one which is being released on Monday (?), but the one before that, where he filled the kitchen and hallway of his farmhouse with fiddle, banjo and horn players, and recorded some great (in my aged opinion) music?

Rats, just can't remember the name, but I rechristened it Springsteen Goes Senile anyway.

Had been playing it long and loud in the lab, and everyone that heard it asked for a copy. Er, of course, I refused and told them to buy there own. Honest, Alex and FriendofA, I didindeedydoodee.

Off to feed the troops, then hope that my car makes it home (started losing power on the way up here this morning), or I shall miss Dr Who and Parky.

Beautiful first day of Spring in the Great Southern Land, but I need some rain to soak the soil so that I can lay mulch tomorrow.

xx
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Ajarn Philip wrote:I've really enjoyed following this thread, although I confess Costello and Springsteen were the only names with any real meaning. The contemporary music scene at CH obviously took off in a big way in later years (i.e. after the mid 70s...).

But what really made me chuckle was the evident realisation that... but wait, what's that I hear...? Ah yes, the gentle strains of Middle Age creeping up on you all! :lol: :lol:
S*d off!! (With much respect and love obviously ....)
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

cj, if I'd known you were there, I'd have said 'present company excepted.'

Honest...

:wink:
adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

Ash wrote:PPS

Its nice to shoot the breeze with people from my year, all those years ago.. Thanks for that...(although I didn't really know you Adam all that well) :D

Its also nice to know that people over 30 still have good taste in music too... What with your Arctic Klaxons, The Viewers, The Gossipers and other such modern music for "the kids" these days...

I tried Psychocandy on my mate's 16 year old and he thought it was just noise.. Which is probably something your average 30 something's dad might have said about our taste in music. Very strange, that.

He then went on to sing the praises of Razor-****-sh1t.... Hmmm, I thought. I won't play him My bl**dy Valentine, then... Nor will he listen when I try and explain that Razor-****-sh1t just sound like a cross between Springsteen and Elvis Costello. But not as good.

We did share an understanding of punk and hardcore, but he called it EMO or something. I didn't know Emo Phillips had a band, so was rather confused by this.

What's the world coming to? The youth of today, etc. I'm sticking to my "grandad" music as my mates son puts it.. Sonic Youth? grandad music? How very dare you.
It has been good to catch up, must admit one thing i especially liked on your site was that you are wearing a Galaxie 500 t-shirt. Class.

I know EXACTLY what you mean about music today, razorsh1te, that single they did is just 10.15 saturday Night by The Cure. The funny thing about most of the music today is that most of the trends are just poor imitations of music from my teens and 20's and it's scary to see the music styles coming around again but weaker. There's the goth revival, the new wave revival and the shoegaze revival, the hardocre revival, the twee revival, Nurave etc etc. I just want to sit them all down with some of the good stuff and go here, just try this first.

To be honest I actually feel a bit sorry for kids today ,where are their big seachange movements in music? Where's their Goth / Madchester / shoegaze / Acid House / Britpop movement?

Now where did I put that soapbox....
Barnes B / Mid A
kayinbaja
3rd Former

Post by kayinbaja »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:G'day Phil

Have you heard The Boss' album, whose name escapes me - not the latest one which is being released on Monday (?), but the one before that, where he filled the kitchen and hallway of his farmhouse with fiddle, banjo and horn players, and recorded some great (in my aged opinion) music?

Rats, just can't remember the name, but I rechristened it Springsteen Goes Senile anyway.

xx
That would be "We Shall Overcome". (From Kay aka ex-Hertford Girl Goes Senile.
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

kayinbaja wrote: That would be "We Shall Overcome". (From Kay aka ex-Hertford Girl Goes Senile.
Oh my God, what an unpleasant reminder... Apart from 'Edelweiss' that was the only tune I knew how to play on the recorder, age c.10. Happily, I'd totally forgotten... until now.
kayinbaja
3rd Former

Post by kayinbaja »

Oh Dear! I can see that that might be rather an unpleasant memory. Will you ever forgive me? Do you have a therapist you can call? Vocalist in my son's band calls the recorder "the devil's instrument". I'm inclined to agree. Sorry, sorry, sorry..............
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

kayinbaja wrote:Oh Dear! I can see that that might be rather an unpleasant memory. Will you ever forgive me? Do you have a therapist you can call? Vocalist in my son's band calls the recorder "the devil's instrument". I'm inclined to agree. Sorry, sorry, sorry..............

I love recorders .........................

except when they are played by frightfully intense musicians wearing thick tights and clogs.

Kay - thank you for recalling the title of The Boss' album. I had a feeling that it was something to do with Pete Seeger, and nothing to do with flowers :?

xx
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Recorders!

Post by Angela Woodford »

Yes! I'm with Caroline here!

But that's because we went to a marvellous primary school where there was a very high standard of recorder teaching. It meant that every child not only learned the basics of reading music and playing both solo and in a group, but felt that they had musical ability and could play to an audience too!

Very different at CH.

However, after my evangelical upbringing - pop music not allowed at home - the work of Satan - I was amazed to find there was no such teaching at the Royal Religious and Ancient Foundation.

Bring out the Dansette record player on a Saturday night!

Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

This one's moved on a bit this weekend!

As usual (as we were all contemporaries) I could list a lot of Ash's and Adam's post, and pointing out their 'not so good' choices (but I won't as I will get both barrels in return from Adam :lol: )

For band names, you would have to go far to beat the erstwhile Charlie Hazlewood's Technicolor Yawn, or 'Prolapse' :oops: which IIRC was a MaA/ThA collaboration that I guested for during Andy Gordon's enforced visit home to spend more time with his parent's.

And in response to Phil's comments about growing old, I am playing various bits of 'good' music to my kids (5 and 3) from my MP3 player in the car, which includes upbeat stuff from James, Lightning Seeds, Cure singles, etc - got me thinking that most of this is at least 18-20 years old, which is the equivalent of my parents playing me the hits of 1956-58

"but they don't play tunes like they did in my day.........."
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

cstegerlewis wrote: I could list a lot of Ash's and Adam's post, and pointing out their 'not so good' choices
Oh go on, go on go on go on go on....
cstegerlewis wrote: For band names, you would have to go far to beat the erstwhile Charlie Hazlewood's Technicolor Yawn
The same person presenting the Proms at the weekend....how his guests would laugh.....
cstegerlewis wrote: I am playing various bits of 'good' music to my kids (5 and 3) from my MP3 player in the car, which includes upbeat stuff from James, Lightning Seeds, Cure singles, etc
My 3 year old has been seen to bop to The Smiths, The Cure and others and loved to bounce in her er.. bouncer to a song aptly titled bounce by System of a Down. I'm more amazed you can listen to your music on in the car. If I had a penny for every time I've listed to childrens CDs in the car I'd be an exceedigly wealthy man. ooooo The Wheels on the Bus go round and round, round and round, round and round. The worst point is getting back into the car after dropping her off and it taking two or three miles before I realise I'm still listening to them.....
Barnes B / Mid A
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

adlop wrote: If I had a penny for every time I've listed to childrens CDs in the car I'd be an exceedigly wealthy man. ooooo The Wheels on the Bus go round and round, round and round, round and round. The worst point is getting back into the car after dropping her off and it taking two or three miles before I realise I'm still listening to them.....
:mutley: Nice one, adlop! At least it seems that children's music hasn't changed over the years...
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

adlop wrote:I'm more amazed you can listen to your music on in the car. If I had a penny for every time I've listed to childrens CDs in the car I'd be an exceedigly wealthy man. ooooo The Wheels on the Bus go round and round, round and round, round and round. The worst point is getting back into the car after dropping her off and it taking two or three miles before I realise I'm still listening to them.....
We have been through that, and now Jenny's car is for the kids music. We have a CD bought for a Christmas Party that is known as 'the party CD' (how's that for originality) which has a track list of: YMCA, Macarena, Agadoo, Oops upside your head, Locomotion (Kylie style), Superman (Black Lace not Laurie Anderson :? ) etc etc. That is the usual car music, but if I can get to the end of it (or set it so I only get a couple of tracks) then we get Daddy's music, which is currently 'Staring at the Sea', 'Unforgettable Fire', 'Hopes and Fears' - Keane, and 'Electric Ladyland' on the CD player, and then anything that takes my fancy on the MP3 player

That reminds me, still need to get some digital Spear of Destiny ......
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989