Inspired?

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Amazingly at my age, I still have clear memories of some teachers :
- Miss Rutherford, who taught me french to A-level: an inspiration both as an academic and as a woman, I think in reprospect she served as role-model for many years. I bought my Bordas because of her... Remember going to hear her preach one Sunday ( UVI were allowed to go to alternative church outside school ) - v.impressive

- Mrs. Betterton, a lovely sparrow-like woman who taught english lit. I remember being given an awful poem to " appreciate" in A-level studies - my appreciation was about 4 lines long. When she (v.gently) queried me, I replied " you asked for an appreciation, and I think it rubbish" - I still got an A ... sadly died a couple of years ago

- Miss Taverner : music and Choir mistress - she drew amazing performances from us simply by asking for them - we would have turned cartwheels just to please her

And last, but by no means least : the reverse of the medal, Miss D.R. West, Headmistress and teacher of religious knowledge. Totally obsessed with St. Paul, and therefore just as mysogynist as he was ( which is a feat for a woman...) - she loathed me and it showed,,,
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Was Miss Taverner the one who wrote the Hertford Grace?
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

Yup. And some other bits. She did sound quite good from what I remember of senior girls in my house who'd been at Hertford talking about her
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

(BaA 88-95; Foundation Staff 99-02)