Did the Christian Union kids end up as Satanists?

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

Hendrik
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 467
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:27 pm
Real Name: No really, it is Hendrik.
Location: Bad Ischl, Austria
Contact:

Post by Hendrik » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:36 pm

:lol:

interesting about religious wars. basically just:
Country 'A' has the predominant belief that fairies live at the bottom of the garden.
Country 'B' has the predominant belief said fairies actually live under the shed.
'A' and 'B' smash the sh1t out of each other

User avatar
J.R.
Forum Moderator
Posts: 14808
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:53 pm
Real Name: John Rutley
Location: Dorking, Surrey

Post by J.R. » Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:20 pm

Interesting analogy, Hendrik.

Personally, I've always found MOST of the fairies living in Brighton. !

:shock: :oops:

malteaser
2nd Former
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:10 pm
Location: CH

Post by malteaser » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:17 pm

they most certainly did!!
i woz a member of CU untill summer last year n all they acheived woz to make me convert to paganism!!

User avatar
Great Plum
Button Grecian
Posts: 5173
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:59 am
Real Name: Matt Holdsworth
Location: Reigate

Post by Great Plum » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:28 pm

and lose all ability to spell? ;)
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99

AKAP
Grecian
Posts: 564
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:36 pm
Real Name: Andrew Palmer
Location: Northumberland

Post by AKAP » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:38 pm

Great Plum wrote:and lose all ability to spell? ;)
Careful, your age is showing ( It becomes really noticeable when you start "dad dancing" at weddings.)

User avatar
Great Plum
Button Grecian
Posts: 5173
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:59 am
Real Name: Matt Holdsworth
Location: Reigate

Post by Great Plum » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:41 pm

AKAP wrote:
Great Plum wrote:and lose all ability to spell? ;)
Careful, your age is showing ( It becomes really noticeable when you start "dad dancing" at weddings.)
It's what happens if you have an english teacher father...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99

Katharine
Button Grecian
Posts: 2933
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:44 pm
Real Name: Katharine Dobson
Location: Gwynedd

Post by Katharine » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:19 pm

Did you have CU at Horsham? We were actually warned against joining one at uni by the school chaplain before we left.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

User avatar
Great Plum
Button Grecian
Posts: 5173
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:59 am
Real Name: Matt Holdsworth
Location: Reigate

Post by Great Plum » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:19 pm

Katharine wrote:Did you have CU at Horsham? We were actually warned against joining one at uni by the school chaplain before we left.
There is now - it started on my senirs towards the end of the 90's....

Interestingly I'd go by what the school chaplain said - the CU at uni were appalling...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99

User avatar
englishangel
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6955
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:22 pm
Real Name: Mary Faulkner (Vincett)
Location: Amersham, Buckinghamshire

Post by englishangel » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:54 pm

Great Plum wrote:
Katharine wrote:Did you have CU at Horsham? We were actually warned against joining one at uni by the school chaplain before we left.
There is now - it started on my senirs towards the end of the 90's....

Interestingly I'd go by what the school chaplain said - the CU at uni were appalling...
I went once, discovered it was next door to the bar in the delightfully named Vauxhall Dining Centre (think about it) got diverted and never went again.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"

User avatar
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian
Posts: 3120
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:08 pm
Real Name: Richard Ruck
Location: Horsham

Post by Richard Ruck » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:37 am

As I have no idea what a Christian Union actually does, could someone give us a quick explanation?

Is it a case of sitting around in someone's living room with tea and biscuits talking about what a nice bloke God is, or is there perhaps a bit more to it?

Was there one at C.H. in the '70s, or is it ( and I really don't intend to offend anyone here) an development of the growing 'happy-clappy' wing of Christianity?

For the record, I suppose I would count myself as an agnostic in that I don't really believe in the concept of a Supreme Being, although I 'm open to suggestions about what (if anything) was around before the Big Bang. My wife, on the other hand, leans towards what could be described as paganism, a belief system which is very attractive due to its non-judgmental, non-political nature.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?

User avatar
J.R.
Forum Moderator
Posts: 14808
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:53 pm
Real Name: John Rutley
Location: Dorking, Surrey

Post by J.R. » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:30 am

Jan and I are on the same wave-length as Richard, (post above), on this one.

I have been advised by 'She Who Must Be Obeyed', NOT to comment on the BIG BANG, however.

Regarding the 'Supreme Being', she informs me he is alive and well, and living in Dorking.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.

User avatar
darthmaul
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:56 pm
Real Name: Luke Fanthome
Location: Stockton-on-Tees

Post by darthmaul » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:10 pm

Richard Ruck wrote:As I have no idea what a Christian Union actually does, could someone give us a quick explanation?

Is it a case of sitting around in someone's living room with tea and biscuits talking about what a nice bloke God is, or is there perhaps a bit more to it?

Was there one at C.H. in the '70s, or is it ( and I really don't intend to offend anyone here) an development of the growing 'happy-clappy' wing of Christianity?

For the record, I suppose I would count myself as an agnostic in that I don't really believe in the concept of a Supreme Being, although I 'm open to suggestions about what (if anything) was around before the Big Bang. My wife, on the other hand, leans towards what could be described as paganism, a belief system which is very attractive due to its non-judgmental, non-political nature.
Erm, well....

I 'm one of the current CU (known as bigfish) leaders in CH - having taken over from Mr R. Castro at the beginning of this academic year. We don't drink tea in the meetings, although we are lacking refreshment altogether!

All we aim to do is to tell people about what Jesus Christ did when he came down to Earth - which was to come as sacrifice for us, and to give us a personal relationship with God. There are different themes to meetings, but that's the gist really.

Perhaps CH tends to eliminate people's ideas about things...?
L. Fanthome : Pe.A (03-05) Gr.W (05-06)

User avatar
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian
Posts: 3120
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:08 pm
Real Name: Richard Ruck
Location: Horsham

Post by Richard Ruck » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:04 pm

darthmaul wrote: Perhaps CH tends to eliminate people's ideas about things...?
Quite the opposite, I would say.

Thanks for the info, anyway. Sorry to hear about your lack of refreshments........

Is everyone who attends these meetings a 'believer', or do people just pop along to find out what it's all about?
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?

User avatar
Great Plum
Button Grecian
Posts: 5173
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:59 am
Real Name: Matt Holdsworth
Location: Reigate

Post by Great Plum » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:59 am

I'm suprised CU lack refreshments - most Christian societies have a lot of refreshment...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99

User avatar
99yorkpj
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:43 am
Real Name: Philippa Yorke
Location: Edmonton, AB. Canada

Post by 99yorkpj » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:17 pm

Now come on guys...aren't we being a little unfair here? CU (now known as Big Fish), has changed a lot over the last year and is now being run by a small group of seniors. What's wrong with wanting to share beliefs and help others who want it? It's not like people are forced into going!!
2004-2006, Leigh Hunt B & Grecians' East.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest