CH dogs

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Re: CH dogs

Post by wurzel »

Jode Sheckter doesn't he run laverstoke farm near Hungerford now that does the organic buffalo mozarella and burgers ?
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

huntertitus wrote:Some types of dog are bred purely to be aggressive, such as guard dogs which are surely bred to be unfriendly to people they havent met before without being trained to do so. These ridgebacks were snapping and fighting with eachother, and were pretty menacing to me, though the owners treated them with love and I am sure they were affectionate dogs to the immediate family.
I have worked mamelukes (huskies) which can get very vicious between teams but are absolutely docile with humans - lovely dogs.
Some friends of ours have Newfies - they had 2 plus a pup - and those can get a tad large. They love their daily swim in the river but have one problem- they will try to "rescue" their owner if she starts swimming. Rescue seems to be a genetic trait.
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

wurzel wrote:Jode Sheckter doesn't he run laverstoke farm near Hungerford now that does the organic buffalo mozarella and burgers ?
Yes
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

sejintenej wrote:
huntertitus wrote:Some types of dog are bred purely to be aggressive, such as guard dogs which are surely bred to be unfriendly to people they havent met before without being trained to do so. These ridgebacks were snapping and fighting with eachother, and were pretty menacing to me, though the owners treated them with love and I am sure they were affectionate dogs to the immediate family.
I have worked mamelukes (huskies) which can get very vicious between teams but are absolutely docile with humans - lovely dogs.
Some friends of ours have Newfies - they had 2 plus a pup - and those can get a tad large. They love their daily swim in the river but have one problem- they will try to "rescue" their owner if she starts swimming. Rescue seems to be a genetic trait.
Are these the same as the Alaskan Malamutes?
A friend had one who ran with us but had to be hoisted over walls. Always kept on a leash.
Very friendly with people but a killer.
He was left on the back seat of a car with the window sightly open, whilst his master was inside having a beer. A Great Dane wandered past, sniffed at the window, at which point the Malamute broke out through the rear window and almost killed the Great Dane.
On another occasion he was tied up next to the rubbish bins at a barbeque. The scraps were thrown into the rubbish and a passing cat took an interest in the scraps.
It was so fast that we didn't realise what had happened until we saw the dead body of the cat.
Took some explaining to the cat's owner.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

A cat is a better pet altogether and you can go out and live your life without dragging a sort of disabled human with you!

I mean this as a joke

I do love some dogs but couldnt have one as a pet as I am always out and about in places where they are not welcome
06podbja
2nd Former

Post by 06podbja »

Mr and Mrs Chandler's dog, the Phillips' dog Oscar, and the Holdsworth's dog (and her mother rip) are the best dogs...
As for the Andersen dogs, they are terrifying. Miss Lewis' dog Suki is also not a good dog, neither are her cats. I used to have to look after them constantly, and not only did they stink, but I did not enjoy having to clean up after them due to the fact that they weren't house trained.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Thank you Julie!
Of course I`m just slightly biased...but I agree!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
JBH
2nd Former

Post by JBH »

The first dog Pop Massen had was a West Highland terrier called Tess. She was indeed rather bad tempered and bit my brother when he threw his toy bricks at her. The next dog was an Irish terrier called Scamp. He too was unfriendly and I suffered various bites from him. Nimbus, the boxer, on the other hand was with humans very friendly, if rather exuberant. I'm sorry he frightened you Michael. I must admit he didn't like other dogs. And I'm sorry too I put you off your breakfast (re saluting) perhaps I was trying to lose weight at that time!
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

Revd Garry Dobbie had a blind and, as it turned out, rather randy spaniel called Hugo. One particularly warm summer's day Dobbie decided to take our class out for a walk rather than sit inside. Hugo came with us, making it a very memorable afternoon as one girl (who I wont name) bent down to pick up some flowers. Clearly this served as some sort of romantic cue for Hugo as he then launched himself lustfully onto her back, forcing her on to all fours. I'll never forget those precious few seconds as he frantically rutted and humped away, the girl yelping helplessly for assistance whilst Dobbie flapped about shouting "naughty Hugo!". It took several of us to separate them. Still at least we didn't need any lessons about the birds and the bees after that.
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

marty wrote:Revd Garry Dobbie had a blind and, as it turned out, rather randy spaniel called Hugo. One particularly warm summer's day Dobbie decided to take our class out for a walk rather than sit inside. Hugo came with us, making it a very memorable afternoon as one girl (who I wont name) bent down to pick up some flowers. Clearly this served as some sort of romantic cue for Hugo as he then launched himself lustfully onto her back, forcing her on to all fours. I'll never forget those precious few seconds as he frantically rutted and humped away, the girl yelping helplessly for assistance whilst Dobbie flapped about shouting "naughty Hugo!". It took several of us to separate them. Still at least we didn't need any lessons about the birds and the bees after that.

PRICELESS !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
MrEd
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by MrEd »

I recall Etheldreda, smelly but a very nice dog, good-natured and well-liked.

Peele matron's dachshunds, and a tragic report of an accident.

Mr Grimshaw's Staffy, rumoured to have been trained to sniff out smokers.

Mr Berkley's Golden Labrador Rupert, who was prone to getting 'amorous' in class. Trying not to laugh when Rupert was in the mood for action, particularly when his ardour was 'induced' and he was targetted at someone, whilst Mr Berkley either affected to or did not notice, was one of the worst tortures of the UF.
PeteC
2nd Former

Post by PeteC »

michael scuffil wrote:How about some memories of CH dogs?

I propose to start with Chlorine, who must be the only dog to get a public obit at school assembly. CMESeaman regretted "the passing of that best of all worst dogs" (see below).

Chlorine was one of a litter whose other members were named Bromine, Iodine and Fluorine. She "belonged" to CFKirby, and spent most of the time asleep and snoring in a corner of his den (officially his classroom, or lab, but you could have fooled me). She impinged on the school consciousness mostly during the run-up to dinner parade, when Kirby would cycle home to his place in King Edwards Road. Chlorine was not an athletic dog, and lagged many yards behind, occasionally doing her business on the headmaster's front lawn. This journey would be accompanied by shouts from Kirby "Come on, Chlorine, worst dog in Sussex!" (see above)

My favourite Chlorine memory is of the time when she brought in a rabbit she had caught in the middle of a biology lesson. Whatever the subject of the lesson was, it was dropped without further ado, and the rabbit was dissected. A very interesting biology lesson -- I hope Chlorine got to eat the rabbit in the end.
Hibin was the mother of Chlorine, and both dogs were still with us at the time I left (1956). What happened to Chlorine's siblings, Fluorine, Bromine and Iodine I have no idea. If you took Chlorine and Hibin for a walk and they caught a rabbit, they would fight over it and attempt to tear it limb from limb unless you wrested it from them and took the carcass back to Kirby's lab. There, he would skin and gut it and the next Wednesday or Saturday afternoon you got to stew it and consume it. I could go on at some length about CF Kirby ("Uncle" to us) but that is a separate topic. A true eccentric and a profound influence on my formative years.
Peter Cockshott. Prep A/Peele A 1948-1956