First Day.....Last Day

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

hillary
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 236
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:57 pm
Real Name: Hillary Taylor
Location: Harpenden, Herts

Re: First Day.....Last Day

Post by hillary » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:40 am

First day - no idea, completely blank except still worried that I'd have to cut my very long hair (I'd read too many girls comics). It stayed long, but since I'd never really done my own hair before, I remember plaiting it took forever and I had to learn some new hairstyles.

Last day 4th July, very fitting we thought. Mostly completely blank too, except for the feeling of excitement of leaving school and playing 'schools out' on the stereo very loud with the study windows open (and getting into trouble for it). Also feeling slightly disconnected with a big 'now what?' question over my head. History tells me I had a uni place but planned to defer it for a year because I'd somehow worked out that going from a girls school to an engineering course might be a bit of a shock to the system. Not sure if I'd got all that worked out before the end of school, or whether it was still going on.

I think I still have my ashbourne hat with a load of badges on it. If it's not my ashbourne, then I managed to get another similar hat for my badges.
Hillary
8s 1966-73

User avatar
Jude
Button Grecian
Posts: 1477
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:21 pm
Real Name: Jude Comber nee Kelynack 5.38 1975-1980
Location: Stonehouse, Gloucestershire
Contact:

Re: First Day.....Last Day

Post by Jude » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:18 pm

hillary wrote:First day - no idea, completely blank except still worried that I'd have to cut my very long hair (I'd read too many girls comics). It stayed long, but since I'd never really done my own hair before, I remember plaiting it took forever and I had to learn some new hairstyles.

Last day 4th July, very fitting we thought. Mostly completely blank too, except for the feeling of excitement of leaving school and playing 'schools out' on the stereo very loud with the study windows open (and getting into trouble for it). Also feeling slightly disconnected with a big 'now what?' question over my head. History tells me I had a uni place but planned to defer it for a year because I'd somehow worked out that going from a girls school to an engineering course might be a bit of a shock to the system. Not sure if I'd got all that worked out before the end of school, or whether it was still going on.

I think I still have my ashbourne hat with a load of badges on it. If it's not my ashbourne, then I managed to get another similar hat for my badges.
Nice one Hillary!! I had a job lined up for me when I left - and I was at the end of my 20's when I finally went and did my degrees - finishing in my 30's! Being a "mature" student had it's ups and downs - and in some respects some of the younger students really did remind me of the start and end of life at CH - there were a totally mixed group, some eager, some scared, some homesick within hours and so on - because I had children and was renting a house elsewhere I didn't do much of the social life - mind you I don't think there was as much going on there then as there is now - or perhaps I missed Freshers week!!

Strange how CH kind of spills over into life post CH isn't it?
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach

User avatar
LongGone
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 283
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:17 pm
Real Name: Mike Adams
Location: New England

Re: First Day.....Last Day

Post by LongGone » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:36 pm

My first day my family accompanied me on the train, an old steam locomotive that produced prodigious quantities of very black smoke (the Sharpenhurst flyer?). There was one other new pupil on the train with us and I felt very superior because he cried the whole journey, and I didn't. When we got to CH we were met by a couple of students who got the trunk onto a farm wagon, pulled by a tractor, and lead us to the school. I remember the seemingly endless walk from the station to Maine A and none of saying a word. Once we got to the house I was taken upstairs by my nursemaid (I had forgotten the term until I read some of these posts) where he got me dressed. He had to do my bands: I couldn't understand what I was supposed to do. Once dressed in the hideously itchy clothing we went back down, handed my regular clothes to my mother and the family left, to catch the next train. The next memory is being lined up to go for the evening meal. Someone shouted totally incomprehensible things at us: what on earth did "Moving to the right in fours: form fours!" mean? We were pushed and maneuvered into position and finally set off, out of step, treading on each others' heels and generally creating shambles. Getting into the dining hall was even more chaotic and being able to just sit down and do nothing was an enormous relief. That is where my memories end and much of the next seven years is a complete blur, with the occasional event sticking in my mind as particularly good or (more often) bad.

I have absolutely no recollection of the last few days. I do not remember the leave-taking service, saying goodbye to anyone, or actually leaving the school for the last time. I am sure that says something, but I leave it to others to interpret as they wish.
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg

User avatar
Mid A 15
Button Grecian
Posts: 2924
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 1:38 pm
Real Name: Claude Rains
Location: The Patio Of England (Kent)

Re: First Day.....Last Day

Post by Mid A 15 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:31 pm

LongGone wrote:My first day my family accompanied me on the train, an old steam locomotive that produced prodigious quantities of very black smoke (the Sharpenhurst flyer?). There was one other new pupil on the train with us and I felt very superior because he cried the whole journey, and I didn't. When we got to CH we were met by a couple of students who got the trunk onto a farm wagon, pulled by a tractor, and lead us to the school. I remember the seemingly endless walk from the station to Maine A and none of saying a word. Once we got to the house I was taken upstairs by my nursemaid (I had forgotten the term until I read some of these posts) where he got me dressed. He had to do my bands: I couldn't understand what I was supposed to do. Once dressed in the hideously itchy clothing we went back down, handed my regular clothes to my mother and the family left, to catch the next train. The next memory is being lined up to go for the evening meal. Someone shouted totally incomprehensible things at us: what on earth did "Moving to the right in fours: form fours!" mean? We were pushed and maneuvered into position and finally set off, out of step, treading on each others' heels and generally creating shambles. Getting into the dining hall was even more chaotic and being able to just sit down and do nothing was an enormous relief. That is where my memories end and much of the next seven years is a complete blur, with the occasional event sticking in my mind as particularly good or (more often) bad.

I have absolutely no recollection of the last few days. I do not remember the leave-taking service, saying goodbye to anyone, or actually leaving the school for the last time. I am sure that says something, but I leave it to others to interpret as they wish.
Welcome to the forum LongGone.

When were you in Maine A ?
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72

User avatar
LongGone
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 283
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:17 pm
Real Name: Mike Adams
Location: New England

Re: First Day.....Last Day

Post by LongGone » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:24 pm

Welcome to the forum LongGone.

When were you in Maine A ?[/quote]


54-61. During the transition period from medieval to relatively modern. I left before the reorganization of the houses and the arrival of -gasp- girls!
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg

User avatar
J.R.
Forum Moderator
Posts: 14809
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:53 pm
Real Name: John Rutley
Location: Dorking, Surrey

Re: First Day.....Last Day

Post by J.R. » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:37 pm

There are few of us 'oldies' on here.

The C.M.E. Seaman days.

Days of caning and slippering.

Haircuts every week for the juniors.

Sit down in the dining-hall and eat what you were given, or starve !

I still reckon that on the whole, they WERE good old days, even without the gals !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.

User avatar
CHAZ
Grecian
Posts: 915
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:15 pm
Real Name: Charles Ian Forster
Location: Luxembourg

Re: First Day.....Last Day

Post by CHAZ » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:40 am

September 1978

Arriving at LHA to be met by "nursemaid"...the LE guy who looked after 3rd form squits. Mine that day was Alistair Cadden (future SG 1983) but he was a temp as my real nursemaid was arriving later...meeting Godfrey Hall (sadly deceased) and the other squits over tea and biscuits on the LHA lawn. All rather strange but somewhat exciting. The first night on bed boards...putting on the white, itch Morleys for the first time....!!!

Last day July 1984

Horrible...Speech Day and the End of term were on the same day! I finished my last A level on the Thursday. I had to give the Oration in the afternoon and then suffer the Leaver's Service and as SG you get the last Bible. I was wobbling all the way doyn as the school sang the "Lord now let thy servant depart in peace..." It was gut wrenching to hear Derek Baker read out all those names alphabetically and then watch friends of 6 years come and collect their Bible. I spent most of the beating of the Retreat with my Hertofrd girlfriend, Becky Loader. Afterwards my family and I left rather quietly and went to the pub. A few days later I was back at CH reunited with the team that was doing the Himalayan expedition under Gunning and Clive Kemps control. Some fiends who had left were on the expedition and others were still at the school so i felt as though I was still there...
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984

Vonny
Button Grecian
Posts: 1624
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:33 pm
Real Name: Yvonne Payne

Re: First Day.....Last Day

Post by Vonny » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:07 pm

CHAZ wrote:my Hertford girlfriend, Becky Loader
I remember her! I was in 2's with her sister Ros. I think they had another sister and brother at CH.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41

Katharine
Button Grecian
Posts: 2933
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:44 pm
Real Name: Katharine Dobson
Location: Gwynedd

Re: First Day.....Last Day

Post by Katharine » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:22 pm

CHAZ wrote:A few days later I was back at CH reunited with the team that was doing the Himalayan expedition under Gunning and Clive Kemps control. Some fiends who had left were on the expedition and others were still at the school so i felt as though I was still there...
I'm glad they had left, you don't want too many of them around!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

User avatar
CHAZ
Grecian
Posts: 915
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:15 pm
Real Name: Charles Ian Forster
Location: Luxembourg

Re: First Day.....Last Day

Post by CHAZ » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:30 am

Nice Katherine
I have a European keyboard which is actually Swiss/german and so a QWERTZ...very tricky soemtimes to get the spelling right. :oops:
Of course they were my friends but up a mountain a friend can become a fiend especially when squabbling over the daily bar of chocolate!!
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984

User avatar
CHAZ
Grecian
Posts: 915
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:15 pm
Real Name: Charles Ian Forster
Location: Luxembourg

Re: First Day.....Last Day

Post by CHAZ » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:35 am

Vonny wrote:
CHAZ wrote:my Hertford girlfriend, Becky Loader
I remember her! I was in 2's with her sister Ros. I think they had another sister and brother at CH.

As CH wasa boy's school, we had to survive with the odd House or School dance with local girls from Farlington or elsewhere.
I made a few trips to Hertford, notably the Speech day in 1984 and some girl monitors came down too to Horsham. Dear becky and I had a sweet 18 crush and it lasted most of the summer term: I used to sneak away to London on the saturday for the odd date or two..then I left and went to uni in ÛSA. Got the Dear John letter around amonth later...aaaaaa :x

Yes she had brother called Dominic at the school who did a wonderful representation of Oliver.....mmm
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984

fra828
Grecian
Posts: 547
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:54 pm
Location: Bournemouth

Re: First Day.....Last Day

Post by fra828 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:58 pm

Thought I'd revive an old thread with my personal memories! September 1967: New girls gathered on the square to be allocated their houses by DR. She didn't seem a completely intimidating figure to me, possibly because I had a very strict headmistress at primary school. Then a horrible overwheming feeling of homesickness as it was all so strange and far from home. Last day , June 1973, what a contrast, couldn't wait to leave . Lovely Mrs Oliver, (biology teacher, mentioned in other threads) , saw me on the train as I left before the end of term , also explained in another thread! Felt incredible sense of freedom and euphoria as the train pulled out of Hertford East. I was sad to leave my friends, but we'd planned to meet up in London in a few months, so it was goodbye CH Hertford and I never eyes on the place again.

User avatar
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian
Posts: 2612
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:01 pm
Real Name: NEILL PURDIE EVANS

Re: First Day.....Last Day

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:12 pm

J.R. wrote:There are few of us 'oldies' on here.

The C.M.E. Seaman days.

Days of caning and slippering.

Haircuts every week for the juniors.

Sit down in the dining-hall and eat what you were given, or starve !

I still reckon that on the whole, they WERE good old days, even without the gals !
Yes -- My first day was in Decmber 1940 --- explanation of Luftwaffe influence elsewhere -- and being a late arrival i was subject to a few attempts at being Bullied, after the end of the first Term these had ceased --- I was brought up in Stockwell ! No Girls -- which were funny things which didn't play Rugby !
After "Pecking Order" had been established, I enjoyed my time at CH, caned 6 times, for which I deserved every occasion and innumerable periods of Detention -- bad Prep, late for class etc.
BUT --- the opportunity for magnificent Sports Facilities (In those days) wide open spaces, discovering a Dormouse, best Friends and a respect for Authority-- have stood me in good stead.
I don't really remember my last day -- I was 18 on April 3rd (82 coming up !!) and within 26 days I was in the Irish Guards, so you think CH was tough ???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
J.R.
Forum Moderator
Posts: 14809
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:53 pm
Real Name: John Rutley
Location: Dorking, Surrey

Re: First Day.....Last Day

Post by J.R. » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:11 am

It didn't change much between the 40's and 60's then. Neill.

I believe that the major changes and relaxation came after C.M.E. Seaman left as HM, and have nothing to do with the onset of political correctness and pandering to the social workers that we seem to live (and die) by today
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.

sejintenej
Button Grecian
Posts: 3097
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:19 pm
Real Name: David Brown
Location: Essex

Re: First Day.....Last Day

Post by sejintenej » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:59 am

J.R. wrote:It didn't change much between the 40's and 60's then. Neill.

I believe that the major changes and relaxation came after C.M.E. Seaman left as HM, and have nothing to do with the onset of political correctness and pandering to the social workers that we seem to live (and die) by today
I agree that the major changes came after you and I left but Seaman did institute some changes like assembly in Big School on Wednesdays instead of Chapel (Further to walk and a waste of time IMHO). I think it was he who got rid of the old dining hall superintendant which meant a major improvement in nutrition. There must have been a few more changes but nothing too important I don't think.

Do you remember the demonstration in Chapel against Seaman's reforms? I was amazed that it was carried out so universally - not that it did anything to deter Seaman.
It is hard to make a comeback when you haven’t been anywhere.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest