Your nickname

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Your nickname

Post by englishangel »

shame I was away, Maggie got in first. :D
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

When I was in Ba B, my nickname was "SWAUCH"
Since this will be entirely un-intelligible to anybody, I'll explain ---
Before CH I was brought up in Stockwell, which was a tough Costermonger Area in London.
SWAUCH was intended to be an imitation of my accent.
I have told you that I didn't get bullied --- it only lasted one Term, -- my first, after that, the Pecking Order had been established. My Beloved Mother, had sent me to Stockwell Rd First School, in White Socks ---------This was quite a good training in thumping anything your own size---- and a bit bigger !
She died at 95, Brain and Tongue in perfect working order, and insisted "I just wanted you to look nice !"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Stockwell has hardly changed Neill, apart from possibly, the costermonger bit !

Still exceptionally tough.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

Having the surname "Farquhar-Thomson" was asking for trouble

"Farter" in the second form became "F*cker" in the third

And I had flat feet so was called "Flipper" for a while and then "Fish"

My poor brother Rupert was asked when he first arrived at the school whether he was a prostitute and as we'd been brought up by innocent parents who never swore and never, ever talked about anything sexual, we'd never heard of the word. Ruperts answer in the affirmative guaranteed for a year afterwards that whenever he got the rugger ball in his hands during a match there would be shouts from the sidelines of "Prostie Thomson, tuppence a go!"
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

Robin,

I was at school with Duncan. Is this your younger brother? I also remember vaguely Rory.
Did all the F-T suffer similar fates?
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

Rory is my younger brother, now working in a Shanghai bank. Married with 4 nearly grown up children. Still plays the trumpet and still retains a good sense of humour. Duncan is my first cousin, also a lovely chap with two small children, living in rural Dorset and working as a consultant anaesthetist.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

huntertitus wrote: living in rural Dorset and working as a consultant anaesthetist.
Not at DCH by any chance is he?! I know of at least one other OB working there.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

I was somewhat put out when some erk in the MOD (I assume) used my nickname for the UK fighting/control force in Bosnia. How they could use it for that (and why I got it) are beyond me - unless it was a liking for a particular make of iced cakes
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Post by postwarblue »

Nicknames I remember from Col B include Chips, Tukie, Noggin, Slimy, Oosh, Stodge, Tigger .. perhaps better without the surnames now!
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Nicknames could sometimes far outlast the rather obscure circumstance that gave rise to them. Our Katharine's brother for example was called "Chindits" all his CH career because of a a single line he had to say in a junior house play in a rather pukka voice: "I was one of Wingate's Chindits, you know." Another boy, surnamed Young, was known for years as "Chang" because his house captain, putting up some list or other, wrote his name in such a way that made it look a bit like this, just once.

There was a Grecian in Peele A nicknamed Satan. I once had the temerity, as a junior, to wonder aloud why. I was firmly told not to ask, and never found out.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

michael scuffil wrote:Nicknames could sometimes far outlast the rather obscure circumstance that gave rise to them.
We have a house in a small (350 people) village, where there appear to be only about 15 - 20 different surnames, and an even smaller number of christian names. They are all Vicente' or Vicenta's with a few other thrown in. Just about everyone (bar foreigners)is known by their nickname.
Thus we have
Xileno (pronounced Chileno), because his father had a dog called Chileno. Xileno's son is also called Xileno.
Correo, because his father was the postman.
Cirera (Cherry), because his father had cherry orchards.
Ximo de la carretera because his father had a house on the main road, not to be confused with Ximo de la plaza, because his father had a house on the plaza.
And so it goes on.
Now that I look at it, it seems very Welsh. Maybe it is something to do with small villages.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Very Welsh indeed. The village where I stayed had, one after the other Thomas the crossroads, Thomas Carvan Lodge, Thomas Green Court and Thomas the post.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

Most surnames were originally derived from trades or whos son the person was

Carter, Proctor, Wheeler, Brewer, Smith, etc came from the work done and
Johnson, Thomson, Jackson, Robertson, Wilson, etc from the father's name
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

michael scuffil wrote:Nicknames could sometimes far outlast the rather obscure circumstance that gave rise to them. Our Katharine's brother for example was called "Chindits" all his CH career because of a a single line he had to say in a junior house play in a rather pukka voice: "I was one of Wingate's Chindits, you know."
I remember Peter complaining about that. Can you remember how junior he was then?

My father had an inherited nickname when he started as a school chaplain. The previous term and EG Hill had left, he was known as Eggy, and when we arrived someone said there was a new Eggy in school (ignoring the fact that our surname was HILLS). The name stuck, many years later when the origins had been forgotten Father heard people saying that it was because he had sandy red hair which meant the yolk was on top of his head and the white of the egg was the clerical collar!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

michael scuffil wrote:Nicknames could sometimes far outlast the rather obscure circumstance that gave rise to them. Our Katharine's brother for example was called "Chindits" all his CH career because of a a single line he had to say in a junior house play in a rather pukka voice: "I was one of Wingate's Chindits, you know." Another boy, surnamed Young, was known for years as "Chang" because his house captain, putting up some list or other, wrote his name in such a way that made it look a bit like this, just once.
My other half is known as Bunnyman amongst most of our friends, simply because about 8 or 9 years ago he played a character called Bunny Mandelson in a murder mystery dinner :D
Jo
5.7, 1967-75