cold showers and brown water

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

Hobbit
3rd Former

cold showers and brown water

Post by Hobbit »

does anyone remember teh wondeful colour of the water throught eh lav ends taps? especially after a holiday? or if you were one of the last in the shower how there was no hot water........fun fun
just got remindined by my uni halls once again not having hot water.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Cold Showers - baths more like!

Post by DavebytheSea »

Does anyone else remember the compulsory cold baths that were de riguer in Prep B in Mr Pink's reign? ..... after prayers and nose-blowing at the end of the beds, the queues of shivering little boys that were required one after the other to plunge right into a bath fillled to the brim with ice cold water?

As for brown water, there was nothing to beat the happy social occasion when four boys at a time would share the tepid brown soup of the Middleton A trough after rugby on Little Side. Christ's Hospital cows were grazed there during the holidays so that the opening matches of term produced an authentic farmyard odour guaranteed to overcome the problems of smelly armpits in the days before deoderants were ever considered worthy of use by the healthy adolescent male.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Lamma looker
3rd Former

Post by Lamma looker »

four boys at a time would share the tepid brown soup of the Middleton A trough after rugby
Only four? In LaA everybody went in the trough after a game and the water by the end of it was the colour of brown windsor soup and the consistency of oxtail. Especially nasty after a wet-weather game of "touch" rugby on the patch of ground by the 1stXV pitch.

Do you recall the 4 inch mark in the lav end baths? This was a relic of wartime "rationing" (saving on hot water I assume) and one was in deep poo if caught bathing in deeper than the regulation water level.
A healthy mind is a sign of a mis-spent youth
ray day
2nd Former

cold showers & brown water

Post by ray day »

Brown water wasn't the only hazzard - in Col A, (I guess because we were near to the watertower) we often turned on the bath tap & got feathers & 'bits' along with the water - those pigeons got everywhere!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Cold Showers - baths more like!

Post by J.R. »

DavebytheSea wrote:Does anyone else remember the compulsory cold baths that were de riguer in Prep B in Mr Pink's reign? ..... after prayers and nose-blowing at the end of the beds, the queues of shivering little boys that were required one after the other to plunge right into a bath fillled to the brim with ice cold water?

As for brown water, there was nothing to beat the happy social occasion when four boys at a time would share the tepid brown soup of the Middleton A trough after rugby on Little Side. Christ's Hospital cows were grazed there during the holidays so that the opening matches of term produced an authentic farmyard odour guaranteed to overcome the problems of smelly armpits in the days before deoderants were ever considered worthy of use by the healthy adolescent male.
It hadn't changed 10 years later, Dave, though the housemaster was Alan Eagle.

"Blowing by Numbers....................."

"1"

"2"

"3"

.... and so on.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Andy Friend
3rd Former

Post by Andy Friend »

Brown water; now that brings back memories!!!
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

i remember going back to help with entrance exams, i turned the shower on and it was all brown.

repulsive.

but i let it run for a while and it returned to being clear.
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

No showers at Hertford, baths on alternate nights by rota.

Juniors used all the hot water so sixth form always got cold baths.

No nose blowing (I do remember this being in a copy of the Blue of my era tho') but our housemistress (Mrs Winstone) gave us 2 senokot for the first three Saturday nights each term in case the change in the water made us constipated.

Also in the winter the lowest 2 years got a spoonful of malt a day after breakfast.

Was this only in 2's?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:No showers at Hertford, baths on alternate nights by rota.

No nose blowing (I do remember this being in a copy of the Blue of my era tho') but our housemistress (Mrs Winstone) gave us 2 senokot for the first three Saturday nights each term in case the change in the water made us constipated.

Also in the winter the lowest 2 years got a spoonful of malt a day after breakfast.

Was this only in 2's?
Oh Come On, Angel !

She just loved waiting up to hear the patter of running tootsies, and the sound of.......................... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

J.R. wrote:
englishangel wrote:No showers at Hertford, baths on alternate nights by rota.

Was this only in 2's?
Oh Come On, Angel !

She just loved waiting up to hear the patter of running tootsies, and the sound of.......................... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
:lol: We used to palm them and throw them away. This was Hertford not Outer Mongolia.
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Indeed - though some of us saved them for unmentionable revenge purposes " is the bottom dropping out of your world ?...)
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Euterpe13 wrote:Indeed - though some of us saved them for unmentionable revenge purposes " is the bottom dropping out of your world ?...)
My husband had a friend at uni. who would 'borrow' any food that wasn't padlocked away, until the day the chocolate was primed with Ex-lax
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Does anyone know for sure if there was or wasn't bromide in the kiff.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

englishangel wrote:

Was this only in 2's?
We had cascara - the infamous "Black Draught"

Euterpe13 wrote:Indeed - though some of us saved them for unmentionable revenge purposes " is the bottom dropping out of your world ?...)
Or could it be, indeed, the world dropping out of your ..........?
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

AKAP wrote:Does anyone know for sure if there was or wasn't bromide in the kiff.
This rumour circulated at Housey when I was there.

If they DID, it didn't work !