Favourite teacher

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

I think this is Killer Fry; he was certainly a Para but I can't remember his initials:

Lieutenant Richard Noel Fry

Unit : 8th Parachute Battalion

Service No. : 62792

Awards : Military Cross

For outstanding bravery and leadership. At Le Mesnil on the 16th June, Lieutenant Fry was in command of a forward platoon which was repeatedly attacked by superior numbers of the enemy for a period of eight hours. When the Platoon position was under heavy mortar and machine gun fire, Lieutenant Fry showing a complete disregard for his own safety, walked about encouraging his men. It was due to Lieutenant Fry's courage and leadership that the enemy were unable to penetrate his position. On previous occasions Lieutenant Fry has shown courage and daring in leading patrols against the enemy.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I'm sure that's the same guy loringa.

I remember him talking about service in the African Desert, (LRDG-pre S.A.S ?), where after three days, salt tablets tasted like sugar because of the amount of bodily salt loss.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Ajarn Philip wrote:First time on this website, and the nostalgia is killing me! This particular string will run and run.
John Hall Matthews: junior house master Maine A and asst chaplain - I remember watching the first moon landing in his front room, and I will never forget his efforts to stamp out the more invidious bullying of squits by their "nursemaids."
Bob Hailey: a soccer man, but a gentleman. (Hell, nobody's perfect.)
BSGregory: who inevitably had the m-m-mickey taken something rotten, but was a good housemaster.
Peter Brotherton: as with most of the teachers I remember well, he never taught me (coincidence?) - great guy.
Christopher "S#d" Stace - I remember once raising my hand while holding a handkerchief and being asked if I was answering the question or offering my surrender. He liked sarcasm, but he got me through Latin O level, and I quite liked his style.
Gerald Davies: I played wing forward against him in a Colts v. Masters game. Ouch.
Noel Thingy-Wotsit: the first drama teacher at CH. Thank you, even if I can't remember your surname.
Richard Palmer: another all round good man.
Killer Fry: he always reminded me of Gregory Peck. (Apologies to very young Old Blues.)
And a guy who briefly taught me medieval history who had a very beautiful daughter.
Did you enter Maine A in 1967?

I was in Maine A from 65-68 and Basil Gregory was Housemaster from September 1966. He was an excellent Housemaster strict ( I felt the force of gymshoe upon posterior often!) but fair.

JHM wasn't a Maine A housemaster in my time though.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Mid A 15 wrote:
Ajarn Philip wrote:First time on this website, and the nostalgia is killing me! This particular string will run and run.
John Hall Matthews: junior house master Maine A and asst chaplain - I remember watching the first moon landing in his front room, and I will never forget his efforts to stamp out the more invidious bullying of squits by their "nursemaids."
BSGregory: who inevitably had the m-m-mickey taken something rotten, but was a good housemaster.
Peter Brotherton: as with most of the teachers I remember well, he never taught me (coincidence?) - great guy.
Christopher "S#d" Stace - I remember once raising my hand while holding a handkerchief and being asked if I was answering the question or offering my surrender. He liked sarcasm, but he got me through Latin O level, and I quite liked his style.
Gerald Davies: I played wing forward against him in a Colts v. Masters game. Ouch.
Noel Thingy-Wotsit: the first drama teacher at CH. Thank you, even if I can't remember your surname.
Killer Fry: he always reminded me of Gregory Peck. (Apologies to very young Old Blues.)
And a guy who briefly taught me medieval history who had a very beautiful daughter.

I was in Maine A from 65-68 and Basil Gregory was Housemaster from September 1966. He was an excellent Housemaster strict ( I felt the force of gymshoe upon posterior often!) but fair.

Thanks for your advice (elsewhere) on including quotes. My name's Phil Underwood. I can't remember if I entered Ma A in 67 or 68, but Howard Holdsworth was Senior Monitor. "Potty Burr" was a junior house master, along with another (much nicer) guy whose name escapes me, who taught in the foundry. I moved on to Col A and in my final year was in Mid B.

In my second year in Ma A I held the lofty position of End Monitor and lost my rag with a squit. For some unknown reason I slapped him, and for some even dafter reason I then went down and reported myself to BSG. I found out much later that he appreciated the gesture, but it didn't stop him from asking me to hand him my slipper...
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Ajarn Philip wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote:

Thanks for your advice (elsewhere) on including quotes. My name's Phil Underwood. I can't remember if I entered Ma A in 67 or 68, but Howard Holdsworth was Senior Monitor. "Potty Burr" was a junior house master, along with another (much nicer) guy whose name escapes me, who taught in the foundry. I moved on to Col A and in my final year was in Mid B.

In my second year in Ma A I held the lofty position of End Monitor and lost my rag with a squit. For some unknown reason I slapped him, and for some even dafter reason I then went down and reported myself to BSG. I found out much later that he appreciated the gesture, but it didn't stop him from asking me to hand him my slipper...
Your name doesn't ring a bell with me and given that Derek Underwood was a boyhood hero of mine it would do if we overlapped I think!

Chris Read is the housemaster from the Manual School you're thinking of I think.

Howard Holdsworth is an occasional poster on this forum and is presently a Master at the School.

My name is Andy Miller by the way.
Last edited by Mid A 15 on Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
AndrewH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by AndrewH »

Ajarn Philip wrote:I can't remember if I entered Ma A in 67 or 68
I seem to remember tha tyou were still in Maine A in 1970-71, which would have you starting in 68.
Andrew Harrison
Maine A 1970-73
Lamb A 1973-77
John Knight
Deputy Grecian

Post by John Knight »

Ajarn Philip wrote:In my second year in Ma A I held the lofty position of End Monitor and lost my rag with a squit. For some unknown reason I slapped him, and for some even dafter reason I then went down and reported myself to BSG. I found out much later that he appreciated the gesture, but it didn't stop him from asking me to hand him my slipper...
Nice one Phil... it reminds me of some of the painful times I had!!!
Prep B 49 / Barnes B 39 - 1946-1952
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Mid A 15 wrote:
Ajarn Philip wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote: Did you enter Maine A in 1967?

Your name doesn't ring a bell with me and given that Derek Underwood was a boyhood hero of mine it would do if we overlapped I think!

Chris Read is the housemaster from the Manual School you're thinking of I think.

Howard Holdsworth is an occasional poster on this forum and is presently a Master at the School.

I'm Howard Holdsworth's son...

Bob "Hell's Bells" Hailey was still teaching at CH until the late 90's...

I came across Burr only once when he bought his narrow boat (barge!) to Scout Camp...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I notice mention of the Manual teacher Chris Read.

Would he have joined staff as a very young man in my leaving year, 1963 ?

Paul Coates and myself had already decided to leave early and were responsible for doing the printing for the school with, I'm sure, Chris Read who only seemed a couple of years older than us !

Remember having a pint with him it what is now The Boars Head ! (Or as it's know by the locals, The Whore's Bed !)
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

J.R. wrote:I notice mention of the Manual teacher Chris Read.

Paul Coates and myself had already decided to leave early and were responsible for doing the printing for the school with, I'm sure, Chris Read who only seemed a couple of years older than us !

Remember having a pint with him it what is now The Boars Head ! (Or as it's know by the locals, The Whore's Bed !)
Chris Read probably did join in '63. He was a junior housemaster in Maine A when I started in '65.

Wasn't The Boars Head called The Fox And Hounds in our time?
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Mid A 15 wrote:
J.R. wrote:I notice mention of the Manual teacher Chris Read.

Chris Read probably did join in '63. He was a junior housemaster in Maine A when I started in '65.

Wasn't The Boars Head called The Fox And Hounds in our time?
Thats Right. Fox & Hounds.
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Great Plum wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote:
Ajarn Philip wrote: Thanks for your advice (elsewhere) on including quotes. My name's Phil Underwood. I can't remember if I entered Ma A in 67 or 68, but Howard Holdsworth was Senior Monitor. "Potty Burr" was a junior house master, along with another (much nicer) guy whose name escapes me, who taught in the foundry. I moved on to Col A and in my final year was in Mid B.

I'm Howard Holdsworth's son...

Bob "Hell's Bells" Hailey was still teaching at CH until the late 90's...

I came across Burr only once when he bought his narrow boat (barge!) to Scout Camp...
Oh please. PLEASE, PLEASE!! It's bad enough getting older, but do you really have to remind me? I hero worshipped HH in my first year. I mean, for God's sake, the guy was 14 and the best fast bowler in the 1st XI. (Okay, so he was already losing his hair, but you don't get all that talent for free...) In my squit year Chris Plumley made me captain of the under 12s cricket team. Our first game was a nightmare: we were all out for something like 14, so we played a second innings. I was out first ball both times. It turned out my contract was only for one game. I was fairly peed off, but mostly because I was worried what HH would think. Incidentally (and although I doubt I'm revealing any dark family secrets, I'd love to give you a little ammunition), I'm sure he used to be called "Harry" in those days.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

He did indeed used to be called Harry...

In fact, when he started teaching at Ch in 1992, there were some teachers who still called him that (I think Mr McCall maybe one...)
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Great Plum wrote:He did indeed used to be called Harry...

In fact, when he started teaching at Ch in 1992, there were some teachers who still called him that (I think Mr McCall maybe one...)
When did he leave / retire?

He was a junior housemaster in Mid A for part of my time there.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I think he left (maybe under spurious circumstances) at the end of my 3rd form / LE so 1994/5 I think