Favourite Housey hymns

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Re: Favourite Housey hymns

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Oh Maggie! We sang that as the processional hymn into the Church at my father's funeral. He died on 5.11 and the funeral was less than a week afterwards. It seemed so appropriate but even now, 12 years later, I still can't sing that hymn without welling up. Neither can I sing 'Come thou thankful people come.....harvest home.......' which we had at my mother's funeral 11 years earlier. She died on the last OG day at Hertford and it was at Harvest time (she had been born at Rogation tide, 72 years before). It all seemed so meaningful and again this is a hymn I can't sing without welling up!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

'For all the saints' another one of my favourites (I said I could never reduce it to five!). I remember singing it as a processional at St Albans Abbey on a Bank Holiday Monday as part of the diocesan youth pilgrimage service - after I had left school - I think it was something to do with the Duke of Edinburgh's Award scheme - very stirring when sung by so many young people at once. I feel much the same about Taize - all that youth and enthusiasm - where did it go when we got older?
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

sorry - posted twice for some reason! :shock:
Last edited by mvgrogan on Fri May 29, 2009 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maria Vatanen nee Grogan 6's (6:12) 81-85 BaB (BaB48) 85-87
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

Jerusalem... I always remember belting out "bring me my CHARIOT OF FIRE" - it was the 80s & the movie had just come out! :lol: I do enjoy a good rousing hymn, though - something to exercise the lungs and to make you feel like you are praising rather than a durge...

Immortal Invisible - no idea why really!
Fjgrogan wrote:I feel much the same about Taize - all that youth and enthusiasm - where did it go when we got older?
Youth & enthusiasm.... you? :lol: but seriously Taize does that for you, fills you with Y&E. I was introduced to Taize music at Hertford and then went with school trips from Horsham in 86 & 87 (or was it 85 & 86?) either way, it ought to be time for a top up!
kerrensimmonds wrote:Neither can I sing 'Come thou thankful people come.....harvest home.......' which we had at my mother's funeral 11 years earlier.
We sang "All things Bright & Beautiful" at my grandmother's funeral and it always brings a tear to my eye, which in a way is a shame for such a happy hymn!
blondie95 wrote:which i have down as a hymn for the wedding
We had "Shine Jesus Shine" at our wedding (far too happy clappy for CH!) and right on cue, as we sang "...flood the nations with grace & mercy" - the heavens opened and tried to flood the nation! We also had a clap of thunder just as I was saying my vows - maybe it was the approval of the Norse Gods!?! :lol:
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

mvgrogan wrote:Jerusalem... I always remember belting out "bring me my CHARIOT OF FIRE"
According to some interpretations, the first four lines of the second verse of Jerusalem are Blake's cryptic metaphorical representation of an orgasm, so belting it out would have been the right thing to do.

The trouble with Jerusalem is that while the words are interesting and the tune is great, the two don't fit. In the penultimate line of the first verse, the stress must be on "was" and "here" [his implied answer to the question is "You can't be serious"], and in the penultimate line of the second verse, on "have". This is the contrast that the poem intends to bring out, and it gets lost. What Blake meant by "Jerusalem" precisely is, of course, a matter of great dispute.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

michael scuffil wrote:According to some interpretations, the first four lines of the second verse of Jerusalem are Blake's cryptic metaphorical representation of an orgasm, so belting it out would have been the right thing to do.
oo-er, missus! :oops:
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat »

Jerusalem . Maybe Jo will remember Rosalind ? who played classical guitar and who was allowed to go to London(shock horror) every Saturday for a lesson with Mr Mills. There was some speculation amongst her peers ( Felicity Saaunders?) and others who I can't quite remember) thaat guitar lessons weren't all that was on offer. I distinctly remember sitting in front of them all -maybe they were LVI- in chapel when they they convulsed at the line 'dark satanic Mills' which they clearly thought was a comment on Mr Mills and his guitar lessons with Rosalind. They all seemed to me at the time so grown up and sophisticated but Rosalind really was very sensible and kind of English rose-ish and the others delighted to see her blush -but 'in a good way' I think.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

dinahcat wrote:Jerusalem . Maybe Jo will remember Rosalind ? who played classical guitar and who was allowed to go to London(shock horror) every Saturday for a lesson with Mr Mills. There was some speculation amongst her peers ( Felicity Saaunders?) and others who I can't quite remember) thaat guitar lessons weren't all that was on offer. I distinctly remember sitting in front of them all -maybe they were LVI- in chapel when they they convulsed at the line 'dark satanic Mills' which they clearly thought was a comment on Mr Mills and his guitar lessons with Rosalind. They all seemed to me at the time so grown up and sophisticated but Rosalind really was very sensible and kind of English rose-ish and the others delighted to see her blush -but 'in a good way' I think.
Bush?
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

Why is that a simple topic that asks for your 5 memorable hymns becomes so off topic and lead by the Hertford girls!!!
All those postings with multiple anecdotes....

I see that our gals like to go OFF TOPIC or even elaborate more and slip in ancedotes et al.

Is this the feminine side that I am missing? :?:
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Speaking as someone who regularly strays off topic, I resemble that remark! :tonqe:

Or maybe I'm just in touch with the feminine side you are desperately searching for... :lol: :lol:
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

Hang on.... I mentioned Jerusalem as one of my favourites and Michael took us off topic!
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat »

Off Topic is the way of the whole forum if you look at most of the threads. May be some of the boys still think the girls should play second fiddle...
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

OOh dear.... here we go!
I feel an Englishangel coming on.....
Kerren Simmonds
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I am in custody after beating up my husband after he agreed with the sentiments expressed here

and I am also tired out.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Gosh Mary... I tremble for you. Do you need a safe house to which to escape?
And to come back to Chaz's point....where do your Favourite Housey hymns fit in all of that?
Kerren Simmonds