Favourite Housey hymns

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

Vonny
Button Grecian

Re: Favourite Housey hymns

Post by Vonny »

Hiawatha was still going strong in the 80's as well :lol:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

(sigh) I wish I could see that picture now.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

Vonny wrote:
Jo wrote:that poem Miss Champion made us learn in the First Year that starts, "What is this life, if full of care, We have no time to stand and stare?"
:lol: :lol:

She was still dishing that one out in the 80's :lol:
...the odd thing about his quote is that I started straight into the second year and so didn't have to memorise it but it is still so familiar as all my contemporaries were quoting it endlessly! :lol:
Maria Vatanen nee Grogan 6's (6:12) 81-85 BaB (BaB48) 85-87
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

mvgrogan wrote:
Vonny wrote:
Jo wrote:that poem Miss Champion made us learn in the First Year that starts, "What is this life, if full of care, We have no time to stand and stare?"
:lol: :lol:

She was still dishing that one out in the 80's :lol:
...the odd thing about his quote is that I started straight into the second year and so didn't have to memorise it but it is still so familiar as all my contemporaries were quoting it endlessly! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Were there many others who started in the second year from your year? I remember 3 or 4 (maybe) from my year starting in the second year.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Interresting
25 years or so before you, Vonny, I think there were about six of us who started in the first year (with Miss King) and the number increased significantly when we got to the second year. But I have always considered both years - as well the greater number who then come in after 11+ into the Third Form - as 'my year'. It's hard to remember who joined when!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

'What is this life .........' Maria, you have probably heard this quote from me too, because it was printed on the front page of our history textbook - I can't remember the name of the book, but the text stuck in my memory.
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
MaryB
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by MaryB »

Part of my life as a curate is to say Morning Prayer every day with my vicar, and we've just decided that for the next two months, until I move on to my new church, we will stop using the "new" Common Worship form and indulge ourselves with BCP (Book of Common Prayer). Well, this morning was our first day, and I was straight back to the chapel at Hertford. Every word of those prayers and canticles is etched into my brain. Usually I have to fight my subconscious to say the new versions, and it was like a warm bath to take the old ways. I do quite like Common Worship, and it is more accessible, but these are the words and rhythms that shaped my thinking and my feeling for language - and probably my faith too although I did run away from that for 20 years after leaving CH (the relief once I got to Oxford of not having to "be good for God", which was what Christianity at Hertford seemed to be all about, was indescribable, although with hindsight it might have been better if I'd felt the need to be good for someone).
Mary Bowden (Gaskell)
5.10, 3.6: 64-71
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

MaryB wrote:Part of my life as a curate is to say Morning Prayer every day with my vicar, and we've just decided that for the next two months, until I move on to my new church, we will stop using the "new" Common Worship form and indulge ourselves with BCP (Book of Common Prayer). .

This is the best news I have heard for a long time. When I'm in England I go to anywhere I can find doing choral evensong, because that's about the only way to hear the BCP. As far as I'm concerned, the CofE IS the BCP and has no great raison d'être without it. Why not use the BCP for all of your services permanently?
Th.B. 27 1955-63
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

The C of E does not allow parishes to use the BCP for all services - certainly not routinely for the main eucharist. In my church we have gone so far over to the 'informal' that there are times that I feel most uncomfortable. Never would have thought of myself as an old fogey, but as the priest paces up and down the nave in an 'interactive sermon' I sit frozen tothe spot praying hard that he does not ask ME any questions! On one occasion, instead of a sermon, he had us all get up and move somewhere else to sit next to someone one did not know, and get to know them in five minutes. On another occasion he got a number of members of the congregation to 'act' the Gospel - this was not only embarrassingly amateurish, but included someone with a tin whistle 'peep peep'ing every time the cock crowed.
Having said that, the congregation (particularly for the main Sunday service) is burgeoning - increasing numbers of young mums with their children. We had to buy more books - and in fact had to buy more for the 8.00 a.m. Eucharist as well (which can, incidentally, follow BCP more closely).
So, yes, I am an old fogey!
Kerren Simmonds
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Does the C of E have any jurisdiction in this matter? The BCP is prescribed by Act of Parliament, and everything else is experimental.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

http://www.davidpbrown.co.uk/poetry/wil ... avies.html

I think this was the one we learned, in addition to the Wordsworth and "Hark you Bear, you are a coward and no brave as you pretended...." from Hiawatha. We also read "Bran, the Bronzesmith". ( In fact, I think I can remember just about every English class we ever had! )
As far as hymns, though - to get back on topic - I always loved the rousing stirring ones, most of which have been mentioned already. There were some simple dirges from Evensong that I liked too, but their names escape me. ?Nunc dimmittus??
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I find listening to Gregorian chants extremely relaxing, if not arousing !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Blimey, JR. What is it with you and monks?
ducks behind parapet
Kerren Simmonds
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

kerrensimmonds wrote:Blimey, JR. What is it with you and monks?
ducks behind parapet

I think it's their dirty habits !! :drinkers:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kerren Simmonds