- 3rd Former
- Posts: 46
- Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:49 am
- Real Name: Paul Strange
- Has thanked: 0
- Been thanked: 2 times
I believe it was the summer of 1971. I had just made some fine adjustment to one of my Scalextric cars and decided to run a quick test on it in LHA's hobbies room. I plugged in the Scalextric mains transformer, connected the hand throttle to the transformer and the track, and then tried the car. Nothing. Not a bloomin' bleep.
Irritated I yanked the mains plug out of the socket, without turning the socket off. However in my haste I had forgotten that a few weeks before I had had to change the plug's fuse. Unfortunately I had mislaid the large screw from the mains plug, and had simply sellotaped the cover onto the plug. Now, as I yanked the plug out, suddenly the plug's cover came off in my hand. One of my fingers strayed into the live plug and I touched the fuse.
Within nano seconds I shot about 20ft across LHA's hobbies room and slammed into a wooden cupboard door. My whole body was shaking and, quite understandably, I burst into tears. I was still shaking an hour later, and It was many weeks before I went back to tinkering with my Scalextric cars...
To this day, that incident in LHA's hobbies room remains the biggest electric shock I have ever had. Not to be recommended.
Any other Scalextric memories?
Leigh Hunt A 1969-71
Peele A 71-75