Less flamboyant CH teachers

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

JohnAL
3rd Former

Less flamboyant CH teachers

Post by JohnAL »

There have been some excellent threads dealing with masters of the 1940s, 50s, 60s and other decades. Messrs Jesson-Dibley, Cherniavsky, Daunt, Page, Rider and Malins and Miss Todd come to mind. Apart from pleasing those who knew these masters, a potentially useful stock of relevant knowledge has been amassed. Such knowledge about others is almost certainly going to vanish in the next few years. All these larger than life, or particularly interesting, persons only comprise a small proportion of teachers at CH in those days. So why not run threads on some, or all, of the less flamboyant masters? There must still be Old Blues extant who knew them and can contribute amusing, informative and useful nuggets about them. Whether each one of the hundred or so teachers deserves his/her own thread is unlikely. But to set the ball rolling here are some names and notes. The wise editors can decide if some of these names (and others to be added by enthusiastic readers) are amassing enough comments to set up a thread devoted to that person. Errors can also be corrected by knowledgeable readers.

Noel Sergent, the senior hall warden for many years in the 40s and 50s. Nickname Man Sam, or Sam. Allegedly of dual UK, French nationality and had played soccer for France. Slightly deaf and only taught French to junior forms. Married. Oxford graduate.
William Armistead, Sen maths master, author of textbooks, married to a former Infirmary nurse. Lived in a house in the Avenue. Had two sons who were OBs and in MidA. Cambridge graduate
Morton Peto, sen Housemaster of MaB. Married to Olive. Cambridge graduate.
Olive Peto, taught English, Cambridge graduate.
George Deakin, OB, Engineer and head of Engineering Dept, which was disbanded when he left CH. Married and lived in a house in the Avenue. Had a long string of degrees/qualifications.
Eric Littlefield, replacement hall warden for Sergent and succeeded him as senior hall warden. Squadron Leader in WW2, in intelligence and taught German. Keen cricketer and coached 1st XI. Bachelor. In his will he left funds for the school cricket teams to use for new cricketing experiences. Long time sen housemaster Ba A. Oxford graduate. Nickname Pongo.
Colin Healey, ran in 1936 Olympics, taught classics, sen housemaster of PeA. Strict disciplinarian, Left CH for headship of Royal Grammar School, Melbourne, Australia. Cambridge graduate.
Russell Grice, taught physics, Cambridge graduate, keen on philosophy, did not last long at CH, since too fond of boys. Bachelor. Cambridge graduate.
Rhona Hurst, taught very junior forms only, a replacement during WW2, who remained till her retirement. Widow of a scholar.
Charles AC Hann, distinguished cleric and chaplain. Left CH to become Principal of Ripon Theological College. Nickname CAC. Oxford graduate.
David Chaundy, taught physics, Oxford degree in maths, jun housemaster of BaA. Keen on electronics. Bachelor. Keen dancer, taught Morris dancing and led Grecians’ Ballroom Dancing lessons. Left CH for Malvern College.
Ian Sutherland, capable cricketer, Cambridge graduate, left CH to teach at Harrow. Bachelor.
Gordon van Praagh, played double bass in school orchestra, keen Gilbert & Sullivan performer/director. Head of Chemistry & Science at CH. Text book author. Left CH for distinguished career in science education (theory and practice?) overseas, especially in Malaysia. Keen photographer. Bachelor. Cambridge MA & PHD.
Paul Beaven, chemistry master. One eyed as a result of an explosion, Major in WW2 and responsible for rifle range & coached shooting. Sen Housemaster Pe A. Married the widow of his brother, who died in WW2.

There are plenty more masters. Others can mention their names and hopefully add something about them too.
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Re: Less flamboyant CH teachers

Post by postwarblue »

I was taught by or otherwise had to do with at least ten of these and knew almost none of those facts about them!
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
Chris T
3rd Former

Post by Chris T »

It’s a very big task to collect information on so many. I’d be interested to read the results, but rather anecdotes than bare facts. Even so, encouraged by Post War Blue here’s a contribution.

Mr Matthews - (I don’t know his first name) Non Oxbridge graduate. Chain smoker with much stained fingers. Taught chemistry and sen housemaster of Peele B. He seemed ineffectual and has torticollis (head permanently bent sideways). Was a war time appointment who stayed on long after the war’s end. Nickname Fal (for phallic, but why is unknown, to me at least). Married.

Reginald Dean - Oxford graduate, resident in Horsham. Returning school teams passing his house would bawl “Reggie” out of the window if they had won. Taught French to grecians and read “Le Figaro” regularly. During the war, was a Flying Officer in the RAF and served for a short time as an Air Section instructor.

John Massen - Oxford graduate, taught German and head of Mod Lang Dept. He had a son in Coleridge B. Lived in a house in The Avenue. Served in RAF during war and also for a short time was an instructor in the CCF’s Air Section. Nickname Joe.

Juliet? Massen - Wife of John, who taught maths to junior forms.

John Bullard - Unusual career; OB, civil servant who retired at age 55 to teach maths at CH, while jun housemaster of Maine B. (He achieved a high civil service rank, something like deputy under sec and would have probably been knighted if he had continued till the normal retirement age.) Only taught junior forms, yet allegedly brilliant and a Wrangler. On his first games afternoon his house captain asked him to referee a junior rugby match. He did so and demonstrated such unfitness that he was never asked again. He shared a house with Leonard Woolf (widower of Virginia).

Thomas Archbold - Taught biology, sen housemaster of Lamb B, coached the 1st XV, much respected by would-be medical students, Cambridge graduate, bachelor and a former England trialist scrum half.

Martiin Barker - Succeeded Archbold in Lamb B, bachelor and taught classics to lower forms. Cambridge graduate. Bachelor.

E. Ingledew - Held a degree from the (then) Loughborough Inst of Technology and the first Manual School Instructor (they were not called masters) to be a Common Room member. Married. Taught technical drawing?

John Colin Tod - Taught classics to junior forms only, sen housemaster Maine A, Oxford graduate, son of celebrated Oxford teacher of classics, Marcus Niebuhr Tod. I/c of boxing, (with one all-England champion, Barry Lendon, in 1951). Organised summer trips for boys on The Broads, usually with his great pal, Eric Littlefield. (Kit Aitken independently organised such Broads holidays for Coleridge A boys.) Bachelor.

Norman Fryer -Taught maths to junior forms, sen housemaster, with a pronounced Welsh accent, married a former Infirmary nurse, was a Welsh trialist scrum half. Cambridge graduate and nicknamed , Man. Committed suicide.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Chris T wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:33 pm It’s a very big task to collect information on so many. I’d be interested to read the results, but rather anecdotes than bare facts. Even so, encouraged by Post War Blue here’s a contribution.

Mr Matthews - (I don’t know his first name) Non Oxbridge graduate. Chain smoker with much stained fingers. Taught chemistry and sen housemaster of Peele B. He seemed ineffectual and has torticollis (head permanently bent sideways). Was a war time appointment who stayed on long after the war’s end. Nickname Fal (for phallic, but why is unknown, to me at least). Married.

Reginald Dean - Oxford graduate, resident in Horsham. Returning school teams passing his house would bawl “Reggie” out of the window if they had won. Taught French to grecians and read “Le Figaro” regularly. During the war, was a Flying Officer in the RAF and served for a short time as an Air Section instructor.

John Massen - Oxford graduate, taught German and head of Mod Lang Dept. He had a son in Coleridge B. Lived in a house in The Avenue. Served in RAF during war and also for a short time was an instructor in the CCF’s Air Section. Nickname Joe.

Juliet? Massen - Wife of John, who taught maths to junior forms.

John Bullard - Unusual career; OB, civil servant who retired at age 55 to teach maths at CH, while jun housemaster of Maine B. (He achieved a high civil service rank, something like deputy under sec and would have probably been knighted if he had continued till the normal retirement age.) Only taught junior forms, yet allegedly brilliant and a Wrangler. On his first games afternoon his house captain asked him to referee a junior rugby match. He did so and demonstrated such unfitness that he was never asked again. He shared a house with Leonard Woolf (widower of Virginia).

Thomas Archbold - Taught biology, sen housemaster of Lamb B, coached the 1st XV, much respected by would-be medical students, Cambridge graduate, bachelor and a former England trialist scrum half.

Martiin Barker - Succeeded Archbold in Lamb B, bachelor and taught classics to lower forms. Cambridge graduate. Bachelor.

E. Ingledew - Held a degree from the (then) Loughborough Inst of Technology and the first Manual School Instructor (they were not called masters) to be a Common Room member. Married. Taught technical drawing?

John Colin Tod - Taught classics to junior forms only, sen housemaster Maine A, Oxford graduate, son of celebrated Oxford teacher of classics, Marcus Niebuhr Tod. I/c of boxing, (with one all-England champion, Barry Lendon, in 1951). Organised summer trips for boys on The Broads, usually with his great pal, Eric Littlefield. (Kit Aitken independently organised such Broads holidays for Coleridge A boys.) Bachelor.

Norman Fryer -Taught maths to junior forms, sen housemaster, with a pronounced Welsh accent, married a former Infirmary nurse, was a Welsh trialist scrum half. Cambridge graduate and nicknamed , Man. Committed suicide.
John Bullard: A quiet man who taught me math for a year. A brilliant mathetician. His party-piece was to get pupils to call out a multiple number, and another pupil to call out another. By the time he had written the two numbers on the black-board, he had multiplied them together in his head.

Norman Fryer: My senior HM during my time in Coleridge B. Nick-name was always 'Bogey' Fryer, but don't ask me why. He had a typical Welsh temper which could flare at any time. It really shocked me when I heard after I had left and years later, that he had shot himself. His wifer was a lovely woman.

Mr Matthews: Would pop out of classes regularly for a 'quick drag.'
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Science wasn't my subject but I was taught for a year by Gordon Van Praagh who got an obit in the Guardian for his inclusive teaching methods. I vaguely remember something of this at CH because whenever he wanted to teach a science issue or phenomenon he would ask for our ideas and then chalk up "Jones's theory" or "Smith's theory" on the board and encourage discussion. He was a nice, generous sort of man as I recall and I believe he was rather critical of the enclosed boarding school regime of the day in which growing boys were cut off from the outside world for so long. He was a liberal then among many others of a stern disciplinarian (and sometimes religious) nature, those whom we in Col B referred to as the Old Guard or even the Ancien Regime.

An addition: looking back I see that posts have already been made about "VP". I hope I've added at least something extra.
Alex
2nd Former

Post by Alex »

Here are some more facts

Ivor R Maconnell
A quiet maths teacher (Cambridge graduate) who taught grecians (and others), son of a vicar. For a time he taught divinity too. An oboe player of (near?) professional ability. When stricken with a fatal cancer, in spite of strong suggestions to quit as head of the maths dept/RMS, he refused to leave CH until the end of the scholarship season, in order not disrupt the teaching of his senior boys. Bachelor for a long time and senior housemaster of BaB. Thereafter married.

Robert Rae
A maths teacher, graduate of Cambridge U and Solihull Grammar School, who taught mainly junior forms. Bachelor. Keen on mountain climbing. National service was in N India (RAF) and he reached the rank of Flight Sgt. Keen on CCF. So later obtained a commission and became an instructor in CH CCF. Finally commanded Air Section. Sen Housemaster of ColB.

Ronald Styles
Another odd career path, with a degree in chemistry from Cambridge he taught piano at CH, while a junior housemaster of BaA. A virtuoso pianist who was also a professional performer. Also a keen scoutmaster.

Peter Matthews
Apart from his first name I don’t know anything more about him than ChrisT.

Lots has been written about the following in other threads. So a would-be archivist/historian can possibly read, collate that material and put in an easily accessible form for future researchers. (Not me, so any volunteers?)

Arthur Rider, Lloyd Whitfield (Windy), Christopher Aitken (Kit), Cecil Cochrane (Corks), Archibald Hector Buck (Buckie), Michael Theodore Cherniavsky, Frank McCracken (Windy), Hon David S Roberts, Derek S Macnutt (Uncle Fat), John H Page (Crapsack), Henry Lael Oswald Flecker (The Oil), Clarence ME Seaman, Miss Nell Todd, Edward Greenleaf Malins (Gad), Cecil Francis Kirby (Uncle), Roger Martin, Roy Edwin Terry, Chris Nicholson, Harry Spurrier & Ronald Crosland (Dickers).
John Saunders
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by John Saunders »

I read somewhere that Buckie left school at 16, enlisted in the army,was discharged as under age and returned to CH to complete his studies before proceeding to University. Any truth in this? JHGS
'
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

JohnAL wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:16 pm
William Armistead, Sen maths master, author of textbooks, married to a former Infirmary nurse. Lived in a house in the Avenue. Had two sons who were OBs and in MidA. Cambridge graduate
He was also deputy Headmaster and I believe held Grecians end of Year Garden Parties.
Eric Littlefield, replacement hall warden for Sergent and succeeded him as senior hall warden. Squadron Leader in WW2, in intelligence and taught German. Keen cricketer and coached 1st XI. Bachelor. In his will he left funds for the school cricket teams to use for new cricketing experiences. Long time sen housemaster Ba A. Oxford graduate. Nickname Pongo.
Had reputation as a hard hitter when he beat. Not that I experienced it.
Rhona Hurst, taught very junior forms only, a replacement during WW2, who remained till her retirement. Widow of a scholar.
The famous Mrs Hurst who took us in Second Form. Once we got the hang of things I am afraid we were rather a handle.
David Chaundy, taught physics, Oxford degree in maths, jun housemaster of BaA. Keen on electronics. Bachelor. Keen dancer, taught Morris dancing and led Grecians’ Ballroom Dancing lessons. Left CH for Malvern College.
For reasons unknown, was called Blotto. Have photo of him Morris dancing in Quad.
Gordon van Praagh, played double bass in school orchestra, keen Gilbert & Sullivan performer/director. Head of Chemistry & Science at CH. Text book author. Left CH for distinguished career in science education (theory and practice?) overseas, especially in Malaysia. Keen photographer. Bachelor. Cambridge MA & PHD.
Had impressive lab where he was reputed to be trying to make artificial diamonds. I thought he was married.
Paul Beaven, chemistry master. One eyed as a result of an explosion, Major in WW2 and responsible for rifle range & coached shooting. Sen Housemaster Pe A. Married the widow of his brother, who died in WW2.
Known as Pop Beaven. Used to collect used toothpaste tubes which we threw out of the lav ends. He melted them don and made a lense holder for his camera. Had lab next to Phallic Matthews.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Chris T wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:33 pm

Incapable of controlling a class. All manner of mischief took place in his lab, from concealing smaller pupils under the sinks, until he left for a fag, to exploding or pungent gases timed to activate half way though a lesson.

He also taught English and I have vague memories that I printed something in the Blue, given to me by his son, which was a certificate produced by Bernard Levin.

We always called him Pop Massen

He taught us post A level classes, which included the Bible as History and Modern Greek

Taught us that as a hooker in front of the opposing posts, you should roll up your sleeves and hit the ball into the opposing scrum, giving the impression that they had handled it back and getting a penalty in front of the posts. Never saw it in action.
Also came into a class carrying books, and someone in the front row failed to rise on his entrance, so was covered with a shower of said books.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Alex wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:05 am Here are some more facts

Robert Rae
A maths teacher, graduate of Cambridge U and Solihull Grammar School, who taught mainly junior forms. Bachelor. Keen on mountain climbing. National service was in N India (RAF) and he reached the rank of Flight Sgt. Keen on CCF. So later obtained a commission and became an instructor in CH CCF. Finally commanded Air Section. Sen Housemaster of ColB.
Housemaster Lamb B, would fling his brief case on his desk on entering, until we opened the window and it fell outside.
Reasonably accurate with chalk and the occasional blackboard eraser, used to wake up distracted pupils.
Stayed in contact with CH well after retiring, and I met him once, many years after I had left, and he claimed me as one of his.

Arthur Rider, Lloyd Whitfield (Windy), Christopher Aitken (Kit), Cecil Cochrane (Corks), Archibald Hector Buck (Buckie), Michael Theodore Cherniavsky, Frank McCracken (Windy), Hon David S Roberts, Derek S Macnutt (Uncle Fat), John H Page (Crapsack), Henry Lael Oswald Flecker (The Oil), Clarence ME Seaman, Miss Nell Todd, Edward Greenleaf Malins (Gad), Cecil Francis Kirby (Uncle), Roger Martin, Roy Edwin Terry, Chris Nicholson, Harry Spurrier & Ronald Crosland (Dickers).
I also recall Pete Brotherton, Chris Miller, Neil Simms, GN Johnson, all one time housemasters in Barnes B.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Died in harness: Archbold (after a skiing accident), Bullard (after being suddenly taken ill and rushed to hospital), Fryer, suicide after an interview with headmaster Derek Baker apparently concerning his pension arrangements.
Archbold was succeed as housemaster of LaB not by Barker, as someone stated above, but by Rae.
Reggie Dean was a Roman Catholic who never once appeared in chapel, even for leaving services. He had two sons, who were not sent to CH. Very heavy smoker (double lessons with him were always two singles, he needed the break for a drag).
Pat Cullen: born in China, son of missionaries. Cambridge graduate. Had a career of sorts in German radio before coming to CH. Junior housemaster BaB, senior housemaster ThB. Engaged briefly to an actress named Sarah Lawson (see Wikipedia), who appeared once (and once only) with him in chapel; she later (in fact very soon afterwards) married actor Patrick Allen. Pat Cullen made proper coffee at a time when this was unusual. Pipe smoker.
WPCDavies. Cambridge graduate. Taught biology. Junior housemaster of ThB. Member of British Lions team that toured South Africa in 1955 (and missed first month of Michaelmas Term as a result). Known as Beaky from large nose. Nice wife. Horrid bulldog.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

To the best of my knowledge, Robert, (Rocker), Ray is still alive. I met him at an OB's day a few years ago. Age had taken it's toll physically, but certainly NOT his dry witty humour.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Ivor R Maconnell
[...] Bachelor for a long time and senior housemaster of BaB. Thereafter married.

Known as 'Slim'. By 1955 he was married and senior housemaster of ThA (which had married quarters attached). He retired from there in 1961, and later became 2nd Master (I think). But was he Chern's predecessor in BaB?
Th.B. 27 1955-63
wardosan
2nd Former

Post by wardosan »

Bogey Fryer had a dreadful temper. I remember him nearly throttling someone with his own scarf in one math class. Truly alarming. Beats Tom Keeley bashing someone in the front row over the head with a Lewis & Short.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

wardosan wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:56 pm Bogey Fryer had a dreadful temper. I remember him nearly throttling someone with his own scarf in one math class. Truly alarming. Beats Tom Keeley bashing someone in the front row over the head with a Lewis & Short.
N.T. Fryer was my housemaster during my entire time in Coleridge B. Everyone knew he had a short fuse, but I only ever saw it expressed once when he was refereeing a rugby match and thought that one of the team wasn't 'trying hard enough'.