Housey Slang.....

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

qwerty
2nd Former

Post by qwerty »

I had completely forgotten about quiz and ego until I read it here, but does anyone remember DC? Someone would say "quiz?" then someone would reply "ego!" and if they didn't want it they would say DC and the person who quizzed the item would have to take it back. Was it DC or dici (latin or not?) and what did it mean, I can only think it stands for decline, but if it is latin and there is an expert out there, please enlighten me.
meera
2nd Former

Post by meera »

im sure DC stood for something like Decifine (pronounced deecifinay) which meant something like no going back.. not too sure- should have definately paid more attention in Latin!
xx Meezie xx
meera
2nd Former

Post by meera »

Also.. how about 'blam' which was said to someone after they'd probably already been embarrassed enough. It then went on to 'Blam your spam' which was probably worse due to the extra helping of embarrassement and then a large thwack on your forehead! oh what fun! cant believe i've forgotten about some of these infamous words!
xx Meezie xx
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

meera wrote:Also.. how about 'blam' which was said to someone after they'd probably already been embarrassed enough. It then went on to 'Blam your spam' which was probably worse due to the extra helping of embarrassement and then a large thwack on your forehead! oh what fun! cant believe i've forgotten about some of these infamous words!
Oh you juniors wer so funny with your little words! ;-)
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Keithbyatt
2nd Former

Re: Zobs

Post by Keithbyatt »

Simon Kerruish wrote:
paddy wrote:
marty wrote:the "master" to whom you refer was EJ Wolstenholme,

No - that's not the Zob I was thinking of - I think I remember Wolstenholme, and he was a lot more cuddly. This Zob was rather authoritarian, a housemaster, and quite feared - hmmm - can't get the name though.
I might be able to help here. I was in Maine B from '68-'71 and then in Middleton A from '71 until I got thrown out in '74. (I now live in Virginia and work in New York for what it's worth). The housemaster in Mid A was called Ron Lorimer and he was an absolute a..hole. His nickname was ZUP after he entered a classroom one day with his fly undone and had to do it up quickly and not very surreptitiously. Hence the sort of onomatopoeic nickname - possibly confused later with Zob?

O'Meara's nickname at the time was Dolly for no reason anyone could shed any light on. Kiff was indeed tea and flab was butter, or marg anyway. Bockers were indeed catering staff or groundsmen, one was called 'Dick the Knocker', again the reasons if there ever were any escape me. Tom Keeley was a very popular guy, mainly because he gave sh-t to everyone without exception. Finally, sorry to hear Tom Jeffers has retired - he was a really good guy and I remember the day he started. I never thought Shipton would ever go, he'd been around since God was a boy.

Hope this is of interest.

Simon

My era was 1962 - 1969. O'Meara was called "botty" since he was so young and baby faced then. Although he denies it now. Kiff bowls were large bowls from which you drank you Kiff. They looked like large sugar bowls and would certainly hold a large volume of tea.
timpuk
2nd Former

Post by timpuk »

oh no, not sponge again..
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

Great Plum wrote:Oh you juniors wer so funny with your little words! ;-)
an' you'd know all about it, wouldn't ya, eh? :wink:

care to enlighten us on some of yer Maine A slang, Mr Plum? :lol:
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Hendrik wrote:
Great Plum wrote:Oh you juniors wer so funny with your little words! ;-)
an' you'd know all about it, wouldn't ya, eh? :wink:

care to enlighten us on some of yer Maine A slang, Mr Plum? :lol:
What are you implying my good man?

I don't know if Maine A had a regional dialect... but maybe my memory has got a bit fuzzy...
timpuk
2nd Former

Post by timpuk »

morley's (morlies?) = underpants
any of you older members care to clarify the origins..?
timdogman
2nd Former

Post by timdogman »

I remember saying 'Cussing Madella' or something like that? Somehow it was a piss-take on the art teacher guy Mr Della I think his name was or something like that anyway. Apparently when he was a pupil he jumped out of a second floor window in one of the houses and broke his leg - idiot! I think the saying came about cos he used to get pissed when people messed about in art.
Nyort
3rd Former

Post by Nyort »

Mr Deller?

He only joined this term!

Short memory - it's only been a week since half term began!
timdogman
2nd Former

Post by timdogman »

No, this was back in 1991 or there abouts. He was a young teacher back then so he probably left and came back - in those days he had a shaven head, but I remember going around saying 'are you cussing madeller?' - it may have just been a Lamb B thing tho!
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Nyort wrote:Mr Deller?

He only joined this term!

Short memory - it's only been a week since half term began!
I think he left and came back...
Rod Stuart
2nd Former

Post by Rod Stuart »

I remember Lorimer teaching me Geography. I always thought he was one of the more human teachers,( but not humane, of course). I've got a photo of him riding his bicycle and smiling away, but I have forgotten how to post it.
Rod Stuart
2nd Former

Post by Rod Stuart »

Now I remember, this is the Lorimer I had a picture of.