Housey Slang.....

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

eloisec
Deputy Grecian

Boomer

Post by eloisec »

On the subject of teacher's nicknames ... anyone remember Boomer (Mr Carrington)? Memories of him shouting at pupils in dining hall and practically lifting them up and chucking them out! Huge man who could really scare the juniors! Went bright red whenever he was shouting at anyone.

But he could be a real gentle giant sometimes. We used to have our 2nd form English lessons in his garden in the summer.

He used to try and sell every new pupil one of those grim grey CH tracksuits when they arrived! Before they knew any better ...
Eloise Carpenter
Col.A 87-94
Simon Kerruish
2nd Former

Re: Boomer

Post by Simon Kerruish »

eloisec wrote:On the subject of teacher's nicknames ... anyone remember Boomer (Mr Carrington)? Memories of him shouting at pupils in dining hall and practically lifting them up and chucking them out! Huge man who could really scare the juniors! Went bright red whenever he was shouting at anyone.

But he could be a real gentle giant sometimes. We used to have our 2nd form English lessons in his garden in the summer.

He used to try and sell every new pupil one of those grim grey CH tracksuits when they arrived! Before they knew any better ...
I remember Mike Carrington very well, his nickname was 'Des' in those days which joins a long line of names for which I have no explanation whatsoever. He made me captain of the Colts rugby team in 1972 and we went on to have a rotten year but managed not to blame each other too much. Most of our matches made him bright red. The legendary Gerald Davies of Wales and British Lions fame then arrived at CH and started coaching with him which calmed him down a bit.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I remember Boomer - he left on my 3rd from or LE I think - in the end he was quite a gentle giant althuogh he did used to go mental in dining hall sometimes!
stoice
2nd Former

Post by stoice »

I'm sure he left later than that Mat, I can remember him taking us to Horsham or Crawley Atrhletics comps with a couple of us sat in the boot of his people carrier cause he couldn't get the minibus!! He was gentle until you annoyed him and when he shouted in Dining Hall everyone would stop talking and just listen. Also when he used to bang for grace the little block would jump across the desk!!
Stoice
Ba B 92-99
Hobbit
3rd Former

Post by Hobbit »

well when i was an LE Mr Carrington still ytook us for rugby and also did some dining hall duties, all i can say is that he was one fo the best blokes i ever came accross, and also he lived down the road from ym gran parents in horsham, they moved but if i remember he still is htere. a good bloke through and through, but yes had a shout
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

stoice wrote:I'm sure he left later than that Mat, I can remember him taking us to Horsham or Crawley Atrhletics comps with a couple of us sat in the boot of his people carrier cause he couldn't get the minibus!! He was gentle until you annoyed him and when he shouted in Dining Hall everyone would stop talking and just listen. Also when he used to bang for grace the little block would jump across the desk!!
He finished teaching atthe end of our 3rd from but stayed around doing dining hall duties and athletics for a few more years I think!
marty
Grecian

Boomer

Post by marty »

had Boomer for English in my first year. He was a lovely bloke but had a really short temper. One day he caught Paul Carter eating marmite (why?) in class. He went completely berserk and threw him out of the room, slamming the door behind him. He used so much force that the door flung open again (despite being really heavy) and paint came flying off the wall !
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

So where does "skiffing" someone's bed come from?
Tim Benjamin posted it in another topic, and it was a word i'd completely forgetten!

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Chammy
3rd Former

Post by Chammy »

how about 'butters' (= ugly), i was wondering whether that came from south park.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Chammy wrote:how about 'butters' (= ugly), i was wondering whether that came from south park.
No, it came from a girl on the year below me whose surname it was!
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

Great Plum wrote:
Chammy wrote:how about 'butters' (= ugly), i was wondering whether that came from south park.
if it's the Butters i'm thinking of, she really wasn't that 'butters'.
scout, blonde hair, smoked like a chimney?
The finger to the land of the chains!
WHAT? The land of the FREE?!
Whoever told you that is your ENEMY...
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Hendrik wrote:
Great Plum wrote:
if it's the Butters i'm thinking of, she really wasn't that 'butters'.
scout, blonde hair, smoked like a chimney?
That's the one - people did rib her mercilessly when she was a junior though - I think she blossomed a bit on her seniors...
F1Rumors
2nd Former

Post by F1Rumors »

Butter
-- not from Southpark or from any specifically unfortunately named girl. The term is a derived from "but her", as in "everything but her face."

Cruel and to the point...
zobmeister
2nd Former

Post by zobmeister »

How about "fish periods"? Doss lessons where you did sod-all...
marty wrote:My favourite was smeggy. He was the side-track king !!
...Smeggy Bo-Smearer being a great case in point. I remember once spending an entire double period of mechanics getting him to explain how my roller coaster design with the cars going outside the corkscrew would result in forces at the bottom of the loop of 8G and certain death. Marv.
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

zobmeister wrote:How about "fish periods"? Doss lessons where you did sod-all...
marty wrote:My favourite was smeggy. He was the side-track king !!
...Smeggy Bo-Smearer being a great case in point. I remember once spending an entire double period of mechanics getting him to explain how my roller coaster design with the cars going outside the corkscrew would result in forces at the bottom of the loop of 8G and certain death. Marv.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

the topics we covered ranged from 'the tube', the staff sweepstake during the '82 elections (which he won, naturally), the big charity antiques auction held in big school, how much he hated the new ICT dept ("go over to the school office and write a formal complaint, it probably won't do anything but at least it'll stir the sh1t."), how he got shot, twice, by his own cadets 8) . ahhh. happy days. i failed DDM as a result but hey.
The finger to the land of the chains!
WHAT? The land of the FREE?!
Whoever told you that is your ENEMY...