Page 22 of 25

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:44 pm
by AndrewH
Paul N wrote:What does he teach ?

I remember he had thick dark hair and perhaps a beard. He really was gangly, like an octopus, legs all over the place.
He taught me the Chemistry bit of A level Physical Science 30 in 1975-77.

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:09 am
by Great Plum
DavebytheSea wrote:Jonathan was taught Chemistry by Paul Maddren last year. Yes, he is still around and I am full of admiration for him.

Incidentally, his son James left CH last year. I saw him play in the Hall for Cornwall in the National Youth Jazz Orchestra last November. He is clearly a fine musician as, I believe, is his father.
James is an excellent musician - unbenkown to most, the 'non-foundationers' (ie teachers' children) every year do a mock panto/ nativity play. I remember James being the drummer in the band when he was 8 - he was already brilliant!

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:05 pm
by qwerty
Anyone remember doing a 'garage run' this is where you signed out to the 'library' during prep, then ran across some fields by the prep block until you came out on a dual carrage way where there was a petrol station, you would come out of the bushes jump over the crash barrier and run over to the petrol station, buy fags and run all the way back again in time for the end of prep.

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:50 am
by Richard Ruck
Great Plum wrote:
DavebytheSea wrote:Jonathan was taught Chemistry by Paul Maddren last year. Yes, he is still around and I am full of admiration for him.

Incidentally, his son James left CH last year. I saw him play in the Hall for Cornwall in the National Youth Jazz Orchestra last November. He is clearly a fine musician as, I believe, is his father.
James is an excellent musician - unbenkown to most, the 'non-foundationers' (ie teachers' children) every year do a mock panto/ nativity play. I remember James being the drummer in the band when he was 8 - he was already brilliant!
James was the drummer at the jazz evening at C.H. on Friday evening.

This was the first time I'd seen him play. He was outstanding.

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:35 pm
by Great Plum
qwerty wrote:Anyone remember doing a 'garage run' this is where you signed out to the 'library' during prep, then ran across some fields by the prep block until you came out on a dual carrage way where there was a petrol station, you would come out of the bushes jump over the crash barrier and run over to the petrol station, buy fags and run all the way back again in time for the end of prep.
I never did a garage run but they were quite popular I believe...

Yes, James is an outstanding musician!

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:01 pm
by peter2095
I remember doing the Garage Run

Don't think it was dossing over prep though

We did it one night when it was half term and we had to stay to go on CCF camp up to Capel Curig

All the boys were staying in Pe A (the only way) and when we got back we had a whisky and poker evening, i remember coming back from half term to find cigarette butts stashed behind my bed, it stank

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:58 pm
by ben ashton
the 10 minute run/train ride to Horsham station and back was easier.
or the 10 minute cycle to Sainsburys.

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:49 pm
by michael scuffil
I see I'm reviving a dormant site, but never mind. There's one item of housey slang we use in our household because we can't think of a better word, namely "skiff-plate". A skiff-plate is a plate for skiffage (food scraps, see above). Normally the skiffage went into a skiff pan at the end of the table, but on occasion, notably when we had kippers, a plate was passed down the table so that people could put their bones on it. At home we still use it for a plate to put bones etc. on.

A propos "Brazilian" somewhere above, if you speak German (or even if you don't, it's mostly English) try this link:
http://dict.leo.org/forum/viewUnsolvedq ... de&lang=de

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:54 am
by Thornton chimp
Richard Ruck wrote:Ladies and gentlemen, I give you "crotching" - secreting of smoking materials down the front of one's breeches in order to prevent them being confiscated during a search or when caught smoking.

Used to keep the Old Holborn nice and moist as well..... (sorry about that).
As a point of interest "crotching"or "crutching" is also female prison slang, for more or less the same thing. It most commonly refers to drugs, weapons and other illicit materials secreted internally, sick!

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:37 am
by englishangel
See, even "Prisoner Cell Block H" can teach you something!! :oops:

Re: Housey Slang.....

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:45 pm
by Farnaz
Spud!

Re: Housey Slang.....

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:18 pm
by DavebytheSea
Spud?

Re: Housey Slang.....

Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:15 pm
by J.R.
Eh ?

Re: Housey Slang.....

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:47 pm
by Farnaz
It means: shiny forehead and is accompanied by a huge smacking sound of the lips. The boys said it all the time, maybe only in our day. :rock:

Re: Housey Slang.....

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:20 pm
by Mid A 15
Farnaz wrote:It means: shiny forehead and is accompanied by a huge smacking sound of the lips. The boys said it all the time, maybe only in our day. :rock:
My children have used that phrase and lip smacking action but I don't remember it at CH in my time.