Housey Slang.....

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

eloisec
Deputy Grecian

Keeley

Post by eloisec » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:51 am

Tom Keeley used to often park his car outside chapel in the evening and then fall asleep in it. Think he had that sleeping disorder, narcolepsy?
Eloise Carpenter
Col.A 87-94

FrogBoxed
Deputy Grecian

Re: Zobs

Post by FrogBoxed » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:53 am

Simon Kerruish wrote:The housemaster in Mid A was called Ron Lorimer and he was an absolute a..hole. His nickname was ZUP after he entered a classroom one day with his fly undone and had to do it up quickly and not very surreptitiously. Hence the sort of onomatopoeic nickname - possibly confused later with Zob?
Fascinating. By the time I had Mr Lorimer for geography on my Third Form, he had shed that nickname and was no longer a housemaster. He wasn't exactly a pussycat, but he was one of the more fun (or should that be easily distracted?) masters. His were some of the most interesting lessons of that year - I'm not sure our class learnt any of the geography syllabus, but we did learn how to really shine our shoes (rub a heated spoon over them after the polish) and how to use balloons in interesting situations (though I can't remember any specifics...!).

Simon Kerruish
2nd Former

Re: Keeley

Post by Simon Kerruish » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:39 pm

eloisec wrote:Tom Keeley used to often park his car outside chapel in the evening and then fall asleep in it. Think he had that sleeping disorder, narcolepsy?
This is a change from his practice during chapel in the early 70's of hanging out on Big Side with a flashlight to catch anyone skipping the service. (As in, 'get a life'). He'd then report them to their housemasters who would do nothing. I think the general view was 'it's nice to see Tom enjoying himself'. Maybe this exhausting activity caught up with him in the end. Or maybe he did get narcolepsy. My father-in-law has it and once fell asleep while opening a Christmas present.

eloisec
Deputy Grecian

Boomer

Post by eloisec » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:19 pm

On the subject of teacher's nicknames ... anyone remember Boomer (Mr Carrington)? Memories of him shouting at pupils in dining hall and practically lifting them up and chucking them out! Huge man who could really scare the juniors! Went bright red whenever he was shouting at anyone.

But he could be a real gentle giant sometimes. We used to have our 2nd form English lessons in his garden in the summer.

He used to try and sell every new pupil one of those grim grey CH tracksuits when they arrived! Before they knew any better ...
Eloise Carpenter
Col.A 87-94

Simon Kerruish
2nd Former

Re: Boomer

Post by Simon Kerruish » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:37 pm

eloisec wrote:On the subject of teacher's nicknames ... anyone remember Boomer (Mr Carrington)? Memories of him shouting at pupils in dining hall and practically lifting them up and chucking them out! Huge man who could really scare the juniors! Went bright red whenever he was shouting at anyone.

But he could be a real gentle giant sometimes. We used to have our 2nd form English lessons in his garden in the summer.

He used to try and sell every new pupil one of those grim grey CH tracksuits when they arrived! Before they knew any better ...
I remember Mike Carrington very well, his nickname was 'Des' in those days which joins a long line of names for which I have no explanation whatsoever. He made me captain of the Colts rugby team in 1972 and we went on to have a rotten year but managed not to blame each other too much. Most of our matches made him bright red. The legendary Gerald Davies of Wales and British Lions fame then arrived at CH and started coaching with him which calmed him down a bit.

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:59 pm

I remember Boomer - he left on my 3rd from or LE I think - in the end he was quite a gentle giant althuogh he did used to go mental in dining hall sometimes!

stoice
2nd Former

Post by stoice » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:55 pm

I'm sure he left later than that Mat, I can remember him taking us to Horsham or Crawley Atrhletics comps with a couple of us sat in the boot of his people carrier cause he couldn't get the minibus!! He was gentle until you annoyed him and when he shouted in Dining Hall everyone would stop talking and just listen. Also when he used to bang for grace the little block would jump across the desk!!
Stoice
Ba B 92-99

Hobbit
3rd Former

Post by Hobbit » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:33 pm

well when i was an LE Mr Carrington still ytook us for rugby and also did some dining hall duties, all i can say is that he was one fo the best blokes i ever came accross, and also he lived down the road from ym gran parents in horsham, they moved but if i remember he still is htere. a good bloke through and through, but yes had a shout

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:12 am

stoice wrote:I'm sure he left later than that Mat, I can remember him taking us to Horsham or Crawley Atrhletics comps with a couple of us sat in the boot of his people carrier cause he couldn't get the minibus!! He was gentle until you annoyed him and when he shouted in Dining Hall everyone would stop talking and just listen. Also when he used to bang for grace the little block would jump across the desk!!
He finished teaching atthe end of our 3rd from but stayed around doing dining hall duties and athletics for a few more years I think!

marty
Grecian

Boomer

Post by marty » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:19 pm

had Boomer for English in my first year. He was a lovely bloke but had a really short temper. One day he caught Paul Carter eating marmite (why?) in class. He went completely berserk and threw him out of the room, slamming the door behind him. He used so much force that the door flung open again (despite being really heavy) and paint came flying off the wall !
I'm Fiona Bruce. Now the regional news, all my regions are just as fantastic as the rest of me.

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:40 pm

So where does "skiffing" someone's bed come from?
Tim Benjamin posted it in another topic, and it was a word i'd completely forgetten!

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
http://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.

Chammy
3rd Former

Post by Chammy » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:42 pm

how about 'butters' (= ugly), i was wondering whether that came from south park.

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:33 pm

Chammy wrote:how about 'butters' (= ugly), i was wondering whether that came from south park.
No, it came from a girl on the year below me whose surname it was!

Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:54 pm

Great Plum wrote:
Chammy wrote:how about 'butters' (= ugly), i was wondering whether that came from south park.
if it's the Butters i'm thinking of, she really wasn't that 'butters'.
scout, blonde hair, smoked like a chimney?
The finger to the land of the chains!
WHAT? The land of the FREE?!
Whoever told you that is your ENEMY...

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:37 pm

Hendrik wrote:
Great Plum wrote:
if it's the Butters i'm thinking of, she really wasn't that 'butters'.
scout, blonde hair, smoked like a chimney?
That's the one - people did rib her mercilessly when she was a junior though - I think she blossomed a bit on her seniors...