Punishment Record - How Bad Were You?

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

I got caught drinking at a party we had on my UF. It was an odd one because Mr Sutcliffe had provided alcoholic punch so we were drinking anyway, maybe it was the vodka and sherry (YUK) we were drinking in full view of most of the house and split on the floor outside the dayroom. In the end I had my study privileges removed for the rest of term, held back at the end of term for two days to clean the house inclding the windows. Confiemd to house outside of lessons/sport. I also had to go see the head (the temporary one who I can't rememebr apart form him saying 'it's all part of the pagenat...). He demanded I told him who else had been drinking and didn't understand why I wouldn't rat on the 20 or so other people who were drinking. In the end I think about 8 or 9 others were caught, but all the girls got away with it. I seemed to get the harshest punishment as I was a 'ringleader' i.e. i got caught first.

The worst thing was Sutcliffe said he'd written to my parents. I waited about 10 days to call them only to find they hadn't been contacted at all and I had to tell them everything. It got a lot better when my dad told me it was nothing as he'd got caught stealing 50 litres of wine as a kid.
Rory
Deputy Grecian

Post by Rory »

How did he get the name "Bwana"?

Actually its before my time. It may be because he 'sounded' like he had spend a lot of time in Africa. I'm not sure.....

As regards punishments - I was really pretty good - I think. OK so I smoked a bit and had the odd drink - I got a few slippers from the old bloke in Barnes B who used to say shake a leg - (forgot his name) and Bwana caned me - and the rest of the house - for an alleged table tennis incident - PC Cuff (aka Derek) made one of his classic quotes as he came out of the study (imagine a strong west country accent)
"do you want to see my arse?????"
Well... not really thanks.
Then I got caned by Newsome (reported somewhere else) and various boring drills, miles, detentions....
There used to be masters who would set really stupid essay titles to be done in detention - I dont think punishments were a deterrant at all - just part of school life.
Must be really boring for the teachers now that you can't beat the kids or hurl chalk at their heads.....
Incidentally - I got caught smoking by a dog once (Mr Grimshaw's).
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Poor old Derek - got chucked out of the Band by Dave Elliott, didn't he?
Can't remember why......

Didn't he end up working for Crawley C.I.D.?

Silly essays - "Write about the outside of an orange" - that sort of thing?

'Bwana' - d'you remember the 1960's TV series called Daktari?
The Africans called all the white blokes 'Bwana' - the show was very popular, so it may have had something to do with that.

Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

sport! wrote:cracked = gym shoe
Then that would be twice, in Prep B.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

So there's no reference to 'Clarence the Cross-Eyed Lion', then ??
sport!
Deputy Grecian

Post by sport! »

didn't John Goodall tend to wear light-coloured safari style suit jackets in the summer?
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

sport! wrote:didn't John Goodall tend to wear light-coloured safari style suit jackets in the summer?
That would certainly have earned the nickname.

Did he wear a big white hard hat as well, or would that have been taking the pith....? :roll:

sport!
Deputy Grecian

Post by sport! »

Richard Ruck wrote:Did he wear a big white hard hat as well, or would that have been taking the pith....? :roll:
that would be a big white hard helmet.....

quick, call the Moderator...
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I can see this thread is going down hill fast.

How do we know that Darth Vadar was always squeaky clean ???
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

J.R. wrote:I can see this thread is going down hill fast.

Is that the first line of a joke?

Go on then, do tell us.....

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Richard Ruck wrote:
J.R. wrote:I can see this thread is going down hill fast.

Is that the first line of a joke?

Go on then, do tell us.....
.... because he always has a clean shiny helmet !

(I'll fetch me jacket !)
FrogBoxed
Deputy Grecian

Post by FrogBoxed »

I was a goody-goody, too. A few drills on my squits and third form, and one detention for passing a note (in defence of the teacher who was standing in for our lesson, but alas, an example needed to be made...).
Louise Barr Col B 89–96 | Frog Box Design
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

Richard Ruck wrote:Silly essays - "Write about the outside of an orange" - that sort of thing?

'Bwana' - d'you remember the 1960's TV series called Daktari?
The Africans called all the white blokes 'Bwana' - the show was very popular, so it may have had something to do with that.
Mr Goodall used to not only go to Africa but did a lot of charity work with a school there called "Starehe" - I am sure he was called Bwana as he was there a lot, had very curly hair and was housemaster - Bwana neans Master as far as I recall. He was one of the fairest and kindest masters at the school - a real gentleman.

My silliest punishment from P.P. de W. "Potty" Burr for being late to Physics was a 200 word essay on "Punctuality and Punctiliousness"

He used to squeal a sort of noise like "Bobop!" in a very high register if our attention wandered and enjoyed saying very slowly in his prim and very old English accent "Specific...Latent...Heat... Capacity"
Emma Jane
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Punishment Record - How Bad Were You?

Post by Emma Jane »

sport! wrote:OK, I was a goody-goody.......can you remember how many official punishments you incurred......

Suggested Scale 0, 1-5, 6-20, 20+

Me....

CANED = 1-5
CRACKED = 0
DETENTION = 1-5

own up!........
One detention, a few dress parades, and red card on my 3rd form :D
"He's NOT the Messiah! He's a very naughty boy!"
BAB 96-01 GRE 02-03
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

I was sent on runs, asked to write turgid essays, cracked - longed for GHD Johnson to do this as he was too kind to hurt little boys, caned, but I cannot possibly remember how many times - I think I may have posted some of my experiences of this - I would say I hated it, it hurt, it didn't stop me misbehaving, I never once even thought of doing it to my 3 lovely children, umm, is that enough?