The Grecians' Ball

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

99yorkpj
Deputy Grecian

Post by 99yorkpj »

hehehehe...
2004-2006, Leigh Hunt B & Grecians' East.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Oh, the sweet innocence of youth !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

ah penny dropped! thank you
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Post by postwarblue »

Better late than never - in 1954 (the only year I was, as a button Grecian, eligible) there was the usual fixture with Bramley (an independent girls' school in Surrey). I believe it was charmlessly entered in the school calendar for the term as "Grecians' Dance vs Bramley (home)" but thaty may be a canard. I suppose odd years were 'away'. We were all in our buttons - I can't imagine many Blues of that era having the funds for a DJ anyway! The necessary number of girls were bussed over with some sort of dragon/duenna in charge, danced with in the Dominions Library (waltz, quickstep, foxtrot), and then counted back into their bus well before it might have turned into a pumpkin. I seem to remember some sort of perfunctory refreshments (certainly no alcohol) laid out in the passage between the School lib and the Dom Lib. Can't remember the girl whose evening must have been ruined by drawing me out of the metaphorical hat.
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'