House numbers

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

Katharine
Button Grecian
Posts: 2934
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:44 pm
Real Name: Katharine Dobson
Location: Gwynedd

Post by Katharine » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:52 pm

I suppose we must have had Cash's tapes for the things we provided, what I do remember more are the tapes marked 6.14 in marking ink.

I don't know whether it was the Hag's idea or someone else's but when we were provided with scarves in House colours we just cross stitched our number in a corner in matching thread so it hardly showed. That was a GOOD idea, whoever it was!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

User avatar
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2030
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:33 am
Real Name: David Eastburn
Location: Nr Falmouth, Cornwall

Post by DavebytheSea » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:08 pm

ben ashton wrote:i got the same house number as my great grand nursemaid whose sister went to the same primary school and was in the same year as me...odd?
Strange indeed!. .... but is this a recognised post? I cannot now remember there being such a thing in my day.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)

User avatar
Mid A 15
Button Grecian
Posts: 2925
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 1:38 pm
Real Name: Claude Rains
Location: The Patio Of England (Kent)

Post by Mid A 15 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:16 pm

I have in the boot of my car the blanket I used at CH with the cash's name tape still intact showing my name and house number.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72

User avatar
ben ashton
Grecian
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:11 pm
Real Name: ben ashton
Location: Woolwich, London
Contact:

Post by ben ashton » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:18 pm

doubt it but makes sense! using ben-logic anyway..and his name was also ben :-o
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02

User avatar
englishangel
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6955
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:22 pm
Real Name: Mary Faulkner (Vincett)
Location: Amersham, Buckinghamshire

Post by englishangel » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:21 pm

We didn't have our names on anything, just our house numbers. But we didn't have to supply tapes either.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"

Katharine
Button Grecian
Posts: 2934
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:44 pm
Real Name: Katharine Dobson
Location: Gwynedd

Post by Katharine » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:55 pm

englishangel wrote:We didn't have our names on anything, just our house numbers. But we didn't have to supply tapes either.
Surely we marked our suspender belts etc - did we have more than one -were they ever washed - I cannot remember the answers to any of these questions!!!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Angela Woodford
Button Grecian
Posts: 2880
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:55 am
Real Name: Angela Marsh
Location: Exiled Londoner, now in Staffordshire.

Suspender Belts

Post by Angela Woodford » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:47 pm

I'm sure we didn't mark our suspender belts, since we provided our own, and rinsed them out when necessary. A garment would stiffen to a horrible degree when dried (baked) on the dorm radiator.

Love

Munch

User avatar
MKM
Grecian
Posts: 799
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:29 pm
Real Name: Mary Lynch

Post by MKM » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:48 pm

Katharine wrote:
englishangel wrote:We didn't have our names on anything, just our house numbers. But we didn't have to supply tapes either.
Surely we marked our suspender belts etc - did we have more than one -were they ever washed - I cannot remember the answers to any of these questions!!!
I think we washed them ourselves; they didn't go to the laundry. I only had one (with purple gingham trimming!), and washed it overnight. If it was still wet in the morning then I wore it anyway.
Mary
CH 1965-1972

Angela Woodford
Button Grecian
Posts: 2880
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:55 am
Real Name: Angela Marsh
Location: Exiled Londoner, now in Staffordshire.

P S

Post by Angela Woodford » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:00 pm

We could also dry small articles on the slats in the Airing Room. The wooden slats had a really horrible smell when a damp item was placed on them. Sniff!

Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 215
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:55 pm
Real Name: Liz Jay was Liz Plummer
Location: York UK

Post by Liz Jay » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:06 pm

MKM wrote:I think we washed them ourselves; they didn't go to the laundry.
I'm sure we washed them ourselves though can't remember what with - would it be carbolic soap from "down the end" or did we have some soapflakes or something??
I can remember washing stockings too in the same manner, and often putting them on still wet the next morning (in winter!).

Alex I was amazed when you said Hertford was WARM. Not in my memories it wasn't!!!! Maybe three years in Singapore had unhinged my internal thermostat.

Love
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68

User avatar
englishangel
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6955
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:22 pm
Real Name: Mary Faulkner (Vincett)
Location: Amersham, Buckinghamshire

Post by englishangel » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:10 pm

I think I used Dreft in a green Tupperware bottle. I had two, a white satin one with a pink bow (bought by an aunt) and a white broderie anglaise one.

I do remember putting on wet stockings though, or one wet and one dry,I always seemed to only have 3.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"

User avatar
cj
Button Grecian
Posts: 1738
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:35 pm
Real Name: Catherine Standing
Location: Devon

Post by cj » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:44 am

Washing underwear by hand was still in force the last 2 years before Hertford closed down. I regale this tale to daughter no. 1 aged 12 years repeatedly as I'm sewing on her name tapes to try and make her realise that she has it easy! We did wear suspenders sometimes at Horsham, but they would never have gone into the school laundry. Washing machines were installed in the girls houses, and when the downstairs changing areas were converted, a drying room was built, but stuff would get nicked if it was left down there too long.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.

User avatar
Great Plum
Button Grecian
Posts: 5173
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:59 am
Real Name: Matt Holdsworth
Location: Reigate

Post by Great Plum » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:31 pm

DavebytheSea wrote:
ben ashton wrote:i got the same house number as my great grand nursemaid whose sister went to the same primary school and was in the same year as me...odd?
Strange indeed!. .... but is this a recognised post? I cannot now remember there being such a thing in my day.
Well, it wasn't a recognised post, but your 'grand nursemaid' was your nursemaid's nursemaid etc etc...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99

sejintenej
Button Grecian
Posts: 3104
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:19 pm
Real Name: David Brown
Location: Essex

Post by sejintenej » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:17 pm

cj wrote:We did wear suspenders sometimes at Horsham, but they would never have gone into the school laundry. Washing machines were installed in the girls houses, and when the downstairs changing areas were converted, a drying room was built, but stuff would get nicked if it was left down there too long.
I didn't know that he was prowling around Hertford. There's words for people like him such as religious sexual maniac / agnostic pagan / potential for certification. (Sorry, Barbara - you don't come close)
It is hard to make a comeback when you haven’t been anywhere.

User avatar
J.R.
Forum Moderator
Posts: 14816
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:53 pm
Real Name: John Rutley
Location: Dorking, Surrey

Post by J.R. » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:34 am

sejintenej wrote:
cj wrote:We did wear suspenders sometimes at Horsham, but they would never have gone into the school laundry. Washing machines were installed in the girls houses, and when the downstairs changing areas were converted, a drying room was built, but stuff would get nicked if it was left down there too long.
I didn't know that he was prowling around Hertford. There's words for people like him such as religious sexual maniac / agnostic pagan / potential for certification. (Sorry, Barbara - you don't come close)
I could embellish on your second highlighted quote, but would probably encounter the wrath of the Hertford crew, David !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest