Morbid, but...

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

SazzaJ
2nd Former

Post by SazzaJ »

I was on the year below him, and I still think about it from time to time. Not because we were friends, but because it had such a profound effect on me.

I had 3rd period free that day, and happened upon a master telling his son what had happened (not fair to name names here). I'll never forget the look on the son's face, as he was one of Rick's best friends. Walking to Chapel during break was awful - I didn't want to tell anyone what I had heard in case I had it wrong.

Although it can seem a bit morbid, I think it's nice to remember people like Rick from time to time. All memories at school, good or bad, helped to shape us.

Saz
Tim
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Tim »

I remember the day it was announced, as others have said the bell started tolling and everyone had to go to chapel. It was very grim and sad, that day. Rick sat behind me in the choir - although I was 5 or 6 years behind him, I was a bass.

Re the original question about plaques in Chapel, I think there is one for Daniel (?) Smith. He was in my house (PeB), a couple of years below me, and died tragically of leukemia, again another sad day.

Tim
Tim Benjamin
PeB: 87-90 :)
PeA: 90-91 :(
MidB: 91-93 :D
http://www.timbenjamin.com
Clements Theory: http://www.clementstheory.com - E-learn music theory!
Study guides and thousands of practice questions for Associated Board Grade 5 Theory
AshDawson
2nd Former

Post by AshDawson »

I remember the day when Rick died well. Was friends with him. It was such a sad day I don't think I will ever forget it.

RIP Rick :cry:
Ma A 1983 - La B - La A 1991 Long time ago but I can still remember it!!!!!!!!!
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

Post by UserRequestedRemoval »

It seems a depressing truism that every single generation at CH has a memory of a boy dying at the school. During my time we had two die of brain haemorrhages in school and another couple during school hols.

Was it like this for the girls?
Reuben
3rd Former

Post by Reuben »

I remember Rick Slater extremely kindly, what an incredibly nice guy he was. So sad.

There was a boy in Thornton called Julian Engelbrecht who was killed in a car-crash on his Grecians (I think) in 1991 or 1992. If I remember rightly he'd finished his last A-level exam but hadn't formally left C.H.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Reuben wrote:There was a boy in Thornton called Julian Engelbrecht who was killed in a car-crash on his Grecians (I think) in 1991 or 1992. If I remember rightly he'd finished his last A-level exam but hadn't formally left C.H.
Yes - I didn't actually know him or his brother but they lived in the same town as me. I worked with Julians mother at the time of the accident & I also worked with the person who drove the other car that was involved in the crash. It was an awkward time at work obviously. Julians mother talked a lot about the accident to me as I guess there was some kind of connection with CH etc. She told me that the evening of the accident Julian had played her a piece of music - can't remember the instrument he played. Then he went out and was involved in the accident.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Reuben
3rd Former

Post by Reuben »

I knew Julian fairly well and liked him a lot (I was two years senior to him in the same house). He introduced me to the Australian singer/songwriter Kevin bl**dy Wilson who I still love to see when he tours today (careful if you Google that chap- his songs are *very* rude!). I remember Julian being a very funny, excitable, and cheeky lad. I wish I had a photo... I can just about remember a freckled face and blonde hair, but time has made the details fade. Never saw him outside of school though... which town did they live in, Vonny?
Barnes/Thornton 1982-1988
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Reuben wrote:which town did they live in, Vonny?
They lived in Weymouth. In fact they lived just a few doors down from where my brother now lives. His mum still lives in the area as I saw her in Morrisons the other day. I remember there was quite a CH presence at the funeral.
Reuben
3rd Former

Post by Reuben »

I found a 1985 photo on this very forum! I'm 99% sure Julian's the very blonde boy third row from the front, second from the left. His older brother Adrian is in the next row up, 7th from the left.

No prizes for guessing who the pale, spoddy-looking chap in the second row from the front, 3rd from right (next to EJW) might be... :oops:
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

I was trying to put a face to your name!

I cannot believe that picture was taken 22 years ago. It must have been the first term after the merger. Yes, Julian is second from the end. I remember him from the band - he was a trumpeter. Wasn't Adrian a clarinettist?
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Reuben
3rd Former

Post by Reuben »

I remember the name Cathy Cooper, and your face (assuming thats you in your avatar) sure looks familiar... :D You weren't any relation to Nick Cooper were you? FWIW this is more how I look today.

I also thought Julian played something at least trumpet-shaped (a cornet?) but then I thought I was probably mixing him up with Rick. It's been such a long time! I think you're right about Adrian on the clarinet too... wonder what happened to him?
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Reuben wrote:I remember the name Cathy Cooper, and your face (assuming thats you in your avatar) sure looks familiar... :D
I think that's her step daughter :lol:
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

Vonny wrote:
Reuben wrote:I remember the name Cathy Cooper, and your face (assuming thats you in your avatar) sure looks familiar... :D
I think that's her step daughter :lol:
It is, with Cath's own daughter - I made the same mistake when Cath first started using that avatar, and she did promise to update it....

(can't complain, I still haven't found anything suitable)
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Sorry, I haven't found a different photo yet (they are my girls, but as my step-daughter is blossoming into a beautiful young lady, I'll take it as a compliment. Unfortunately age and childbearing haven't done me any favours!). And no, I wasn't related to Nick Cooper. My younger brother was in Lamb on the year below me.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

I can see the photo now I am at home (firewall at work blocks it) - my word, that is scary seeing all those familiar faces again!

And doesn't Mr. (forgotten his name) Robinson look v. young :shock: Hemel and EJW look exactly as I remember them though.