Hello! I'm back! Is there anybody here?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Oliver
3rd Former
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hello! I'm back! Is there anybody here?

Post by Oliver » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:21 am

It seems highly, highly unlikely, but one never knows.

Was the Peter Knight mentioned above, Peter Luke Knight, Barnes A, 1948-54, who left CH for a distinguished career in the services?

rockfreak
Deputy Grecian

Post by rockfreak » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:45 pm

The Peter Knight I mentioned above was fiddle player with Steeleye Span from pretty much the start of their career. He was to Steeleye what Dave Swarbrick was to Fairport. As far as I know there was no connection with CH or the services.

sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:12 pm

rockfreak wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:43 pm
One of the things that would be useful on some folk albums is a lyric sheet. I don't know whether folk singers inflect in a particular way but I was listening to Eliza Carthy's Anglicana album the other night and I was struggling to follow the words.
Do a Google search on "collection song lyrics" and you will find quite a few sites. At the bottom and followed "Song lyrics finder" for more. I even tried the correct spelling of my nom de plume (which is on Youtube) and found a few variations of the words but not the original hit song. That does not mean that your search for folk albums would be futile

rockfreak
Deputy Grecian

Post by rockfreak » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:51 pm

Since we mention Steeleye and Peter Knight I've been checking out old videos on You Tube and Knight's fiddle playing is shown wonderfully on "Steeleye Span: Old Maid in the Garret/Tam Lin" where an old Irish folk favourite is segued into a spirited reel. Maddy Pryor had at this time been joined by Gay Woods, the band's first vocalist on the album "Hark the Village Wait", who rejoined them for a while. I hope I'm not boring non-folkies out there but the late '60s was such a wonderful period for musical experimentation and the folk revival was a big part of it.