For all the singers out there...

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Richard Ruck wrote:
Jude wrote:Ok - that's enough - sops - over there, altos' here, tenors and besses sort yourselves out!
Nice slip of the keyboard, Jude! :D

I am a 'bess' myself, I'll have you know.
Why am I not surprised?
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

englishangel wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote:
Jude wrote:Ok - that's enough - sops - over there, altos' here, tenors and besses sort yourselves out!
Nice slip of the keyboard, Jude! :D

I am a 'bess' myself, I'll have you know.
Why am I not surprised?
I'm having a bit of a relapse at present - my left eye has gone walkabout, I can't find my nose if my eyes are closed and the letters on the leybaord are all over the place.. I am trying so hard to get the spelling right - but maybe bessess , Bessies or watever is better? who knows!

No I only have a stick Mary, so using that playing hte clarinet, trying to march and sing could be very amusing! I suppose it could be used as the masters baton????
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

We ought to form a forum choir, get together every 6 months or so for a sing-song. Have whole day's practice and then a 'concert' in the evening. Sing to 3 men and a ferret in some god-forsaken church in the middle of nowhere. Or CH. Could be quite a laugh. Anyone out there who could twirl the conductor's baton? Dave BTS poss?
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

cj wrote:We ought to form a forum choir, get together every 6 months or so for a sing-song. Have whole day's practice and then a 'concert' in the evening. Sing to 3 men and a ferret in some god-forsaken church in the middle of nowhere. Or CH. Could be quite a laugh. Anyone out there who could twirl the conductor's baton? Dave BTS poss?
SOunds like much fun!

It would be good to do something like that! An OB's choir! The service at Christmas showed that there is some potential... Julian, weren't the tenors good? ;)
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

I'm game even if I', a bit gammy at present - the only problem would be the sheet music - we would have to work out who has got what :
I have :
Faures Requiem (wonderful one for that bessies!!), Handles Messiah, in full format (SSATB)

We would need a conductor who KNOWS what they are doing - 4 soloists, and for those who play but do not sing - an orchestra!

There used to be a rash of these sort of DIY concerts - where you would all turn up on the day , practice all morning, have lunch (you took your own) pracrticed again in the afternoon, everyone was asked to bring say red top black bottoms or white top, blck bottoms, rest for tea( again brought by selves) and then we sang the concert - loads of people would come and listen.. it was wonderful .. if we did it at CH - say - would we be allowed to use the chapel? I could try and get Fiona Lumb to come and play the organ if no one else wanted to - we might need some housing - so those local blues if you have a spare room maybe? I could probably get a room in Littlehampton for self...

it sounds a brilliant idea - we just need a few more nods, yeas, and away we could go - anyone else enthused?
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

If we have the music some time in advance then we can do a bit of rehearsal on our own. Then do a day like the scratch concerts. Does the school have a lending library of music that we could draw on? The schools choirs (Chapel, Chamber, Choral Soc) must have some of their own sets of things which we could maybe use. It could consist of either one big work or several shorter works, anthems, madrigals etc. There must be tons of instrumentalists/accompanists out there. Charlie Hazlewood can play/conduct for a start. The inaugural concert led by him with (some) ticket costs going to a charity/cause!! That would get bums on seats surely, but maybe in 10 years time when his diary is free. Lots of choirs operate in this way as it cuts down on the regular weekly commitment that is sometimes difficult. It's food for thought certainly.

eloisec
Deputy Grecian

Post by eloisec »

cj wrote:If we have the music some time in advance then we can do a bit of rehearsal on our own. Then do a day like the scratch concerts. Does the school have a lending library of music that we could draw on?
CH was less than helpful when I tried to borrow some band music, even though I knew they had the piece I wanted to borrow and it hadn't been played for at least 10 years. But they might have changed their attitude a bit by now. One would hope so anyway!
Eloise Carpenter
Col.A 87-94
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

Post by Ruthie-Baby(old a/c) »

Just found my way back to the forum and this topic - would definitely be up for some singing. Usually sop (although without the natural bitchiness) and I can sort of sing alto.

Few anthems/motets/madrigals seems like a good idea to me. I sing in a church choir which has copies of loads of stuff, although usually only 25 - 30 copies of each. Would be fine to borrow if CH not keen.

Anyone know where to go to get some non-church singing - I suffer from the "but you sound like a church singer" problem now I have stopped doing backing vocals for rock/reggae bands - any ideas?
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Ok so getting hold of music isn't easy - however..... if we can all agree on some pieces, those of us who have library cards could borrow said music, copy it x times or even just copy it once and email it too all who want to join in.

May I start a choice of music thread in here now? I actually have the music SSATB scores for these and could scan them in fand email them out.. Same for anyone else who has a stash!

Faure - Requiem - parts - say esp for Basses the Libera Me - instead of it being a solo..

Nunc Dimmitus & Magnificant by Stanford in Bb

damm busters for the band (mine is only piano score)

Vaughn Williams - seranafe to music (words by shakespeare)

Messiah (Handel)

Plus lots of non "choral" type stuff like beatles; Simon & Garfunkel etc...

if people really want to do this - I am happy to try and arrange music, venue, time etc - just need you all to give me details, dates, who, etc.. plus your music prefereances - for all of this i have created a NEW USERID AND EMAIL : judeCHforum@aol.com
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

Post by Ruthie-Baby(old a/c) »

Name an anthem/Mass setting/Mag&Nunc/etc and I'll probably have access to it.

My vote goes for some nice early stuff - Byrd, Gibbons, Lassus.

Check out http://www.stpeters-streatham.org and click the "music list" link for the kind of stuff we sing.

Pants I don't know how to make that a link. Can I do it with HTML?
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Ruthie-Baby wrote:Name an anthem/Mass setting/Mag&Nunc/etc and I'll probably have access to it.

Check out http://www.stpeters-streatham.org and click the "music list" link for the kind of stuff we sing.

It does it for you Ruthie babe!!

I can't doe vespers all over again - it will do my head in - the same note for 4 pages for the Alto in Monteverdi;s Vespers - it's mind blowingly dull - I vote we find something that is evocative of CH but also somethings that are fun!

Again - anything related to this i would be happy to sort if you want on :
judeCHforum@aol.com
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Must be very careful about photocopying music and infringing copyrights.

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

cj wrote:Must be very careful about photocopying music and infringing copyrights.
Is there law that says it's OK if it's only used for rehearsal, but definitely NOT OK if it's used in the actual performance......or did I dream that one?

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Ruthie-Baby wrote:Name an anthem/Mass setting/Mag&Nunc/etc and I'll probably have access to it.

You'd never know that it was high church would you?
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

copyright permission needs to be obtained, notmally if it is for a charitable event the charge is very small. I can look it up.

I would like all potential singers to send me their top 3 favourites of classical choral music and 3 other non church type music - if I then have a blind vote - I can see who wants to sing what without any lengthening of this thread as it were - so 7 days please for entries!

Entries for SATB, and music to : judeCHforum@aol.com

thanks - I can then set about obtaining music, getting copyright, and finding out when and were etc..... Please also send dates YOU CAN NOT practice or sing

cheers :-)