E-Chainletters - love or hate?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

What do you think of email chainletters?

Love them - always believe in them and forward them to my mates.
No votes
Hate them - stupid waste of time
100%

Total votes: 22

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

E-Chainletters - love or hate?

Post by jtaylor »

I received yet another of those stupid email chainletters this morning.

It promised I'd be cast into eternal fires of domnation if I didn't forward it on to 10 people in my address book within the next 30 seconds......

How stupid is that! I view these damned things as the equivalent of the "Irish Virus" which asks you to forward itself to all your friends, before requesting that you then delete everything off your PC and re-format.........
The volume of these things on the internet wastes resources, cloggs-up email systems and wastes people's time....it's a virus by another name, but written by people too stupid to do the hard bit and code the virusy bit, so they get you to do it for them by forwarding it to your friends!

Well - now you know what I think of them - do you have a different view???

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Couldn't agree more, Julian. There are some people whose emails I never open if the tag line includes Fwd. I have better things to do with my time (such as read this forum!)
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

chain e-mails

Post by UserRemovedAccount »

jtaylor wrote:I received yet another of those stupid email chainletters this morning........Well - now you know what I think of them - do you have a different view???
Julian, I totally agree. I also think that they can cause a lot of misery among the more gullible members of society, who can take the threatened retribution quite seriously.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

I agree - an internet plague, along with "You've won the Cardiff lottery" and desperate e-mails from "Mrs. Charity Olongu" or similar asking for help in spiriting $24,000,000 out of Sierra Leone/ Nigeria/Mozambique/South Africa etc. etc. (her husband was butchered by government agents / killed in a plane crash / nibbled to death by an aardvark, you see!).
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I forward jokes, friendship things and that sort of thing, but not 'chain' letters.

I have had a couple of the type, 'such and such gives you cancer'

The latest was about lead in lipstick.

Most of these are Urban Myths and there is a site which gives you the background on these so I 'Reply all' with the debunking url.

In October I got one about a little girl who had been found after the tsunami.

I went back to the originator and it turned out that her family had been found about 2 weeks later.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

englishangel wrote:I forward jokes, friendship things and that sort of thing, but not 'chain' letters.

I have had a couple of the type, 'such and such gives you cancer'

The latest was about lead in lipstick.

Most of these are Urban Myths and there is a site which gives you the background on these so I 'Reply all' with the debunking url.

In October I got one about a little girl who had been found after the tsunami.

I went back to the originator and it turned out that her family had been found about 2 weeks later.
In respect of the former I consider it as a form of bullying which could send some people over the mental age.

As to the latter, perhaps a decade ago there was an appeal for "Get Well" cards to be sent to a young boy with a form of cancer (?leukemia) who lived near Guildford; he wanted to get into the Guinness Book of Records. This was passed from one person to another by email and on newsgroups so that he did get the record.

Somebody I know from another group who worked on a local paper and used to help with the sackloads of cards every morning; it got too much when the cards continued to arrive a year after his death.

There was another appeal for business cards from someone claiming to be ill; there may have been a genuine appeal but one such turned out to be a company selling lists of business addresses and email addresses for profit. How sick can you get?
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

englishangel wrote:In October I got one about a little girl who had been found after the tsunami.
We had that one too. I get drawn in by the emotional strings they send out (especially when it's to do with children) but my husband resolutely has nothing to do with them and tells me to pull myself together. My mum had one sent to her and got worried about not responding. They are only designed for selfish ends, but I then worry about becoming too cynical and hard-bitten. If you want to contribute, or 'make the world a better place', then there are better ways of going about it, surely. And let's face it, there are too many wierdos out there on computers ... :wink:
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

cj wrote:
englishangel wrote:In October I got one about a little girl who had been found after the tsunami.
We had that one too. I get drawn in by the emotional strings they send out (especially when it's to do with children) but my husband resolutely has nothing to do with them and tells me to pull myself together. My mum had one sent to her and got worried about not responding. They are only designed for selfish ends, but I then worry about becoming too cynical and hard-bitten. If you want to contribute, or 'make the world a better place', then there are better ways of going about it, surely. And let's face it, there are too many wierdos out there on computers ... :wink:
I emailed the Aussie policeman who had started the email about the little Western girl and he said that she was reunited with her parents in the middle of January 2005.

If you get any of these emails check out this website
http://urbanlegends.about.com/
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Email is a powerful tool for finding missing persons and that is good. All other stuff infuriates me - even jokes chains; but then, as I have said more than once previously on this forum , I have no sense of humour.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Anybody who believes they will receive bad luck for not passing on the chain letter MUST be sad !

(No sense of humour Dave ? You make me laugh from time to time !)
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
99yorkpj
Deputy Grecian

Post by 99yorkpj »

Ugh, I get about 15 a day..... They generally drive me insane.... although the odd one is quite funny. I also get sent the same one about 5 times... this is when the "delete" button comes in very handy... :)
The one's I really hate are the one's that tell you a tortured girl or a mad clown will come and kill you in your sleep if you don't send the message on in 5 mins to 20 people... or send this to at least 5 people and something good will happen to you at 12.30 tonight.... as if...
2004-2006, Leigh Hunt B & Grecians' East.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I hate them!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Rory
Deputy Grecian

Post by Rory »

Last night a tortured girl AND a mad clown tried to kill me - but then I knew I shouldn't have gone to that restaurant.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Rory wrote:Last night a tortured girl AND a mad clown tried to kill me - but then I knew I shouldn't have gone to that restaurant.
Shouldn't have eaten them, then! Try the spring rolls next time......
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

Well said JT.

The only way to stop it is to e-mail the person who forwarded it to you and telling them firmly to stop. Get the e-mail address of whoever sent it to them and so on, see how far you can go!

There are too many bored American teenagers with terrible English. THAT'S the problem.