What's Lurking in your fridge?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Euterpe13 wrote:I didn'tknow that you could actually close a country - does that include airports, stations and general frontiers ? How quaint ! ( and dont be so snotty about drinks - vodka is a masculine drink, ask any Pole !)
Austria Closed? What happens to the skiers???? Do they get stuck in hotels? NO Food, no peanuts out of the money gobbeling machines? (My memories of the Tyrol now flooding in - Ahh I could do with a new cuckoo clock that doesn't cuckoo....

Well I keep any alcohol in another cupboard.. just for drinks (it also hoardes the chip pan, flat lemonade, flat coke, and low calorie squash that I rarely drink and no-one else does unless they are down to vodka and "black" only.....)

Russion Vodka is great stuff.... however, we have moved on to Sambuka - blame the Hungarians who hosted daughters 18th Birthday meal in their Restuarant.... 3 shots of flaming Sambuka with coffee beans, things haven't "bean" the same since..... (oooh that was a good pun!!)
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

Housemate has bought 2 bottles of sambuca bk from milan, 5 euros each :)
Im working full time in O'Briens sandwich bar in Leicester currently, and just looking at food having been surrounded by it all day makes me feel ill.
The fridge now has half a pot of potato salad in it. woooooooo!
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

ben ashton wrote:Housemate has bought 2 bottles of sambuca bk from milan, 5 euros each :)
Im working full time in O'Briens sandwich bar in Leicester currently, and just looking at food having been surrounded by it all day makes me feel ill.
The fridge now has half a pot of potato salad in it. woooooooo!
Ben can you get your mate to go back to milan and buy some more bottles of Sambuka please - at 5 Euros (£3.45 in real money) I might become an alcoholic - I have no vices at the moment so I think I need one!!!
I will come to collect - say 10 bottles per month? :lol:
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

he also bought a bottle of Jägermeister for a similar price, but that drunk at the airport before their flight back..

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Ben it still sounds a grand price for Sambuka!! Leicester is only 90 minutes drive from here - so I am actually being a tad serious (OMG - am I turning into a LUSH!???? :drinkers: :drinkers: :drinkers:
Laura M
Deputy Grecian

Post by Laura M »

I managed to pick up a rather horrific looking strawberry vodka liquer for six Euros last week on tour in Italy, it was pepto bismal pink. I got through half the bottle before I gave up and decided to make some punishing cocktails with it to give to the freshers!!
Two men lying in a bed, one rolled over to the other and said, 'I'm gonna lead me a life of danger, I'm gonna marry a WESSEX RANGER!'
BaA 97-03 GrW 03-04
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

unfortunatly we are all broke again now! but il let you know if anyones going in the future :)

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Laura M wrote:I managed to pick up a rather horrific looking strawberry vodka liquer for six Euros last week on tour in Italy, it was pepto bismal pink. I got through half the bottle before I gave up and decided to make some punishing cocktails with it to give to the freshers!!
Make your own in the summer. When there's tons of strawbs that you can't get through any other way, shove a load in a jar or bottle, couple of spoons of sugar, fill up with vodka and wait a while (a couple of weeks minimum, not minutes), shaking occasionally. You will have the taste of summer, fresh and sumptuous with a touch of tonic. Lidls sell vodka very cheap - probably not imbibable (?) in any other way.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

austria IS closed on a sunday, unless your business is open principally for the purpose of making money out of foreigners, then it may stay open. i'm not even joking, it's the law. meh. catholics.

vodka is a manly drink, although my cousins girlfriend is a pole, and drinks vodka. so really it's a pole's drink.
the second you mix it with something it becomes a lady-drink.

i am accumulating bottles of spirits at home, i love ryanair and cheap flights. though the austrian customs took a bottle of 80% rum off me about a week ago. miserable b'stards...

"You can't fly with it, it's a fire hazard."
AND A THOUSAND GALLONS OF KEROSINE ISN'T?
...mountain dwelling yodel-monsters....
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

We once had a neighbour who was cabin crew on an airline that flew to the West Indies. she gave us a liter of rum that was 102 degrees proof.

If you left a measure in a glass it evaporated in 15 minutes.

One measure to a pint of coke was about right.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Hendrik wrote:though the austrian customs took a bottle of 80% rum off me about a week ago. miserable b'stards...

"You can't fly with it, it's a fire hazard."
AND A THOUSAND GALLONS OF KEROSINE ISN'T?
...mountain dwelling yodel-monsters....
Hmm - I have some Cornish Mead in the alcohol cupboard - it has to be at least 5 years old now - I'm too scared to try it!! As for fire Hazards... I am one! my daughter had a shot glass of Sabuka with 3 coffee bean in it, i lit it for her, and it went all over her hand she then threw it on the floor - luckily the alcohol burned (very pretty blue) and not the carpet! since then she won't allow me to light Sambuka - spoil sport! :oops: :twisted:
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Jude wrote: Hmm - I have some Cornish Mead in the alcohol cupboard - it has to be at least 5 years old now - I'm too scared to try it!!
Mead - lovely stuff. A proper old English (or Cornish :wink: ) drink.

Ever tried using some to make a sauce for pork?
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Am Jewish oh and vegetarian - so no pork in this house!!! unless you count the cats - they are all getting a bit on the podgy side!

My fridge is a little better as I did a shop up - but the gherkins are still lurking.... along with a few other bits that I am a bit phobic about (I think the blue / green mould has something to do with it!)
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Jude wrote:Am Jewish oh and vegetarian - so no pork in this house!!!
Sorry Jude, I meant to phrase it as a general question!!

"Has anyone ever tried using some to make a sauce for pork"?

I'm trying to concentrate on too many things today (or multitask, to use bollox-speak).
Last edited by Richard Ruck on Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

my fridge has been taken over by a monster of a lettuce that came in my delivery yesterday - I`ve never seen one like it!!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.