Björn, Benny, Agnetha & Frida

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

ABBA:

Brilliant
31%
Good
31%
OK
23%
Poor
8%
Unbearable
8%

Total votes: 13

aguinaga
2nd Former

Björn, Benny, Agnetha & Frida

Post by aguinaga »

I'm getting a bit bored of people dismissing ABBA as no-good when obviously that isn't the case - they had countless number 1s, top 10s etc., and their Gold album is still in the charts, and they're just generally great! My interest in them was rekindled in a recent visit to Oslo where in every music shop, ABBA had their own designated section. So I was wondering what other people here think about the best group ever to come out of Scandinavia and without a doubt one of the most famous and influencial ever. And what are people's favourite songs?! I wonder how far this will go :lol:
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Re: Björn, Benny, Agnetha & Frida

Post by Richard Ruck »

aguinaga wrote:.....the best group ever to come out of Scandinavia and without a doubt one of the most famous and influencial ever.
You mean....they're better than Europe?? :shock: :lol:
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

As a pop act, they are unrivalled imho but....
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Come on - they're iconic - bet there isn't a member on the Forum who can't hum ( and maybe also sing the words...) to at least one ABBA song!

Their songs are musical, melodic and very well constructed. And " Priscilla, Queen of the Desert " would not have been the same film without the ABBA songs !
I'm an unashamed fan...
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

aguinaga wrote:.....the best group ever to come out of Scandinavia and without a doubt one of the most famous and influencial ever.
Yeah but what's the competition? Ace of Base? Don't make me laugh. I did like Aha but they didn't realise enough material.
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

The Cardigans are also from Sweden...

as are:
Ikea
Meatballs
That funny chef from Sesame Street
Saunas (possibly)
Snus (or maybe Norway)
Ericsson
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Hendrik wrote:The Cardigans are also from Sweden...

as are:
Ikea
Meatballs
Saunas (possibly)
Snus (or maybe Norway)
Ericsson
What are they?

Everyone knows 'Dancing Queen'.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Rory
Deputy Grecian

Post by Rory »

I don't like ABBA - and yes I can hum some of their tunes - but I dont trust the bloke who looks like a womble. He's shifty. The blond one was quite pretty - but probably not in real life. When there was so much good music around - why listen to ABBA. They were successful because they weren't musically challenging. They didn't upset anyone and they were nice and clean. Like most things from Sweden. SO - sorry - the fact that they had "countless number ones" is NOT to say that they are any good. Loads of really sh*t songs get to Number One.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Rory wrote:I don't like ABBA - and yes I can hum some of their tunes - but I dont trust the bloke who looks like a womble. He's shifty. The blond one was quite pretty - but probably not in real life. When there was so much good music around - why listen to ABBA. They were successful because they weren't musically challenging. They didn't upset anyone and they were nice and clean. Like most things from Sweden. SO - sorry - the fact that they had "countless number ones" is NOT to say that they are any good. Loads of really sh*t songs get to Number One.
Don't you mean the blonde one? :lol:

Their main purpose is to provide music for drunken guests to dance to at wedding receptions.

Abba were at the height of their fame during the punk era - the two didn't really go together. And as for the clothes....... :vom:

Having said all that, they were still MUCH better than the pubescent song & dance acts which infest the charts these days. At least they did write their own songs.

Rory
Deputy Grecian

Post by Rory »

yes - sorry about that - I wasn't concentrating. of course I meant 'blonde'.
And you're right - ABBA just reminds people of Christmas parties, weddings etc or maybe even it just reminds them of happier times when they were young. Music does that - but I maintain that happy memories doesn't necessarily make good music.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Rory wrote:Music does that - but I maintain that happy memories doesn't necessarily make good music.
How very true.......

A question of time and place, I suppose. I think we both, along with many others, have great memories of playing in the band at C.H., BUT...... it's not the sort of music I'd listen to at home.

Marches etc. are fine, and I'm not saying that they're bad music (because they're not), but 'Army of the Nile' pumping out of my speakers? Probably not!

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Hendrik wrote: The Cardigans are also from Sweden...

as are:
Ikea
Meatballs
Saunas (possibly)
Snus (or maybe Norway)
Ericsson

.............. and I thought they were from Wales !!!! DOH !!!!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
aguinaga
2nd Former

Post by aguinaga »

marty wrote:
Yeah but what's the competition? Ace of Base? Don't make me laugh. I did like Aha but they didn't realise enough material.
Yes, A-ha are a very decent band, I forgot about them. But if Björn said 'Take on me' to A-ha, or vice versa, I think ABBA would win hands down. And if they had a race, they'd need an Analogue clock - and when watching TV they'd have to shield their eyes, because the Sun always shines on it. Oh dear, this Scandinavian humour really does put a hole in your soul. But we can certainly thank them for the music...even The Green Wing managed to incorporate ABBA in last week's programme, that shows how widespread and appreciated they are!
Rory
Deputy Grecian

Post by Rory »

Aguinaga - I'll have to agree to differ in terms of musical taste.
aguinaga wrote:Yes, A-ha are a very decent band
No - although I did think that it was a clever video at the time.
I'd rather listen to 'Army of the Nile"...
matthew
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by matthew »

I'll admit to loving ABBA. I'm not pretending it's a highbrow taste or anything.

Though I'm curious about the Oslo comment. Are there really special ABBA sections in the music stores? I don't remember that from when I was there (and I probably looked). They didn't put out *that* many records, surely...

Anyway, if you go to Oslo you have to visit Gressholmen. It's an island populated by rabbits just moments away from the city centre. Quite bizarre.