CH Habits?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I think you can still buy mushrooms, I'm sure I saw one in John Lewis.

I darn. I bought my daughter a very trendy long knitted coat when she was 14, it was £60 which I thought was extortionate at that age, but now 3 and a half years later she still wears it nearly every day, cost per wear is adown to about 20p. I must have nearly remade it the number of times I have repaired it.

I think I agree with cj about the reason for hoarding, not the mother's nipple bit, the no possessions of your own at school bit.

But why then do I have 5 year old electricity biolls at the bottom of my wardrobe?
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

Post by Ruthie-Baby(old a/c) »

englishangel wrote:But why then do I have 5 year old electricity biolls at the bottom of my wardrobe?
Sorry, what are biolls?
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

bap wrote:I heard a story about a bloke in a pub in Chichester who went for a wee and left a note saying "I've spat in this" and when he returned someone had addedd "so have I".
That's an old old old one.

The one about maybe pissing is a new one on me. But chances are they haven't, so those beer thieves would probably know it would be ok to drink... No?
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

cj wrote:Maybe because we had few personal possessions there it helped to give us an identity outwith that of pupil? Or made our personal space (physically and in our head) less institutional? And you couldn't just nip out anywhere to get things. I'm sure a psychologist would say that it was the sudden and violent removal of the mother figure that produces the need for comfort objects. In their turn, the hoarded items become the nipple we suckle from. Then again, maybe they wouldn't say that at all! I'm a complete shocker for keeping things that are useless. We've just moved house so now is the great opportunity to chuck loads out. But what if we need ...
Hmm, I had loads of possessions at CH. My parents seemed to encourage me to take loads of stuff there. I was given a cupboard in the computer room (room next to dayroom, in some houses HM's study) to store all the rubbish. I didn't need all that stuff and was never really sure how it had happened to me.

Think I originally got hoarding from my father but I'm now doing my best to stop. It's quite a difficult habit to break.

I don't keep things I might need, I keep things I just can't throw away, e.g. all my school books, diaries, university notes (one day I'll file them properly - maybe), things from deceseased relatives, etc.
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
FrogBoxed
Deputy Grecian

Post by FrogBoxed »

I remember all your "Stuff" (tm) Ruth! :lol: I think only Saskia and Emma had more in that room they shared. :shock:

I have to hoard neatly as there are two of us in a tiny flat. Most of my stuff lives in storage where it's been for 3.5 years. It's not hoarded there, simply stored... :) It will stay there, however as I know there's stuff in there that will be useful when we leave this place. Things like a bed (begone terrible CH-alike futon) and all my beloved cooking equipment. *Lou sheds a tear for her blender*
Louise Barr Col B 89–96 | Frog Box Design
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

FrogBoxed wrote:I have to hoard neatly as there are two of us in a tiny flat.
Tiny, but perfectly formed!

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

jtaylor wrote:

J
....and the flat is quite small as well ?????
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

This thread reminds me of how much I still have at my mothers, and I left there some time ago.
My only defence is that one of my brothers left even more, including his cat.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

jhopgood wrote:This thread reminds me of how much I still have at my mothers, and I left there some time ago.
My only defence is that one of my brothers left even more, including his cat.
Come home OEDIPUS !!

All is forgiven.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
FrogBoxed
Deputy Grecian

Post by FrogBoxed »

J.R. wrote:
jtaylor wrote:

J
....and the flat is quite small as well ?????
Ho ho! Yes, JR! ... And the flat is VERY small, too.
Louise Barr Col B 89–96 | Frog Box Design
Jolyon
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Jolyon »

I still have the tendancy to only willingly buy huge, so dark they look black (or often black), coats and still have the same over-the-shoulder throw for putting on coats and jackets the goes back to my Housey coats. Trying to give up the 'Housey Rip' way of undoing coats still and it must have cost me 100 buttons since I left the school
In a little place in our hearts we never leave
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

My son (not an OB) has a Royal Marines greatcoat, which is probably the closest you would come to Housey, he has slept out in it and it is impervious to rain.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"