Some advice needed please!

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Mrs C. wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote:
BTaylor wrote:Just a thought, but how about getting him some work experience in a place where English is an important tool. That way he'll see the practical application of having a good vocabulary.

What about the local rag? Could be quite interesting.
Problem is, he's only 13. Not much work experience around for kids of that age, I would imagine.

The theory would seem to be right, though. A good command of English is so important, and he need to see this as a desirable thing to have.
:D :D :D
Oh all right! :lol:

I am trying to work at the same time......!

Anyway, it was good enough for Molesworth!
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Mrs C. wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote:Following on from Mrs C's suggestion re Key Stage 3.

Try this link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/ks3bitesiz ... ssonplans/
Bitesize is brill, according to my daughter who`s using it for revision for UF exams in about a weeks time!!
my daughter likes it too.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Mid A 15 wrote:Following on from Mrs C's suggestion re Key Stage 3.

Try this link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/ks3bitesiz ... ssonplans/
Just had a look - very interesting. I'm learning a lot today!

That'll give me a few ideas, I think.

ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

found myself watching bitesize during an all-nighter essay writing session the other day, reminded me of all the useless crap i learnt for gcse :)
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

ben ashton wrote:found myself watching bitesize during an all-nighter essay writing session the other day, reminded me of all the useless crap i learnt for gcse :)
Ben,

does this affect you?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... xhome.html
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Definitely try the internet and websites mentioned for curriculum based exercises. I worked as a teaching assistant in the English department of a big secondary school in North Devon and had to help children who had very limited skills through yr 9 SATS and then GCSEs in yrs 10 and 11. Several people have previously said it, and I would thoroughly agree, that the way to engage with a disenfranchised kid is to try to find some common ground - through music, films, magazines etc. Find some enthusiasm there and it's only a short step to the dreaded 'book'. Shakespeare is, whether we like it or not, a compulsory topic for SATS and GCSE, but I would recommend watching some film versions of the plays to wet their appetite, particularly Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet. Violence and teenage sex. What more could you want! And analysis of magazines/advertising is a good way to get them to think and expand their vocabulary. Children's disinclination to persist with a subject often stems from their thinking that they can't do it, so lots of encouragement and praise. I always used to tell my students that everyone is good at something, whether academic, sport, or even social skills. It's bolstering their self-worth (tiring for you, I'm afraid) but this boy may be more likely to engage with you as a man, and identify with you and your experiences. Maybe casual conversation is a starting point. I wish you both lots of luck!
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

No ideas that can help, it seems that a lot of good sense has been written already. I would just like to add that you may feel that you are making no progress at all. Don't be too hard on yourself, if you do manage to get a rapport going you will have achieved a lot. Just by taking time to be with him may help.

Good Luck!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Katharine wrote:No ideas that can help, it seems that a lot of good sense has been written already. I would just like to add that you may feel that you are making no progress at all. Don't be too hard on yourself, if you do manage to get a rapport going you will have achieved a lot. Just by taking time to be with him may help.

Good Luck!
Hear, hear, Katharine! That may be all that he needs, or all that you can do, which is no mean feat.

Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

cj wrote:Shakespeare is, whether we like it or not, a compulsory topic for SATS and GCSE, but I would recommend watching some film versions of the plays to wet their appetite, particularly Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet. Violence and teenage sex. What more could you want!
Perhaps we should take him to The Globe - they're doing Coriolanus and Titus Andronicus this season, and it's only a fiver to stand in the pit.

Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Richard Ruck wrote:
cj wrote:Shakespeare is, whether we like it or not, a compulsory topic for SATS and GCSE, but I would recommend watching some film versions of the plays to wet their appetite, particularly Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet. Violence and teenage sex. What more could you want!
Perhaps we should take him to The Globe - they're doing Coriolanus and Titus Andronicus this season, and it's only a fiver to stand in the pit.
If you ever get the chance to see 'Illyria' performing Shakespeare take it. They tour open air productions and come to Harlech Castle every year. A cast of five perform and it is fantastic, I would defy anyone not to enjoy it and learn from it. I'm sure you could google for their touring schedule.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
FrogBoxed
Deputy Grecian

Post by FrogBoxed »

Richard Ruck wrote:Shakespeare? I know what you mean. The same thing happened to me with Thomas Hardy and Jane Austen - I could never stand either of them.
I managed to get through not one, but two English degrees quite without reading some of the literary "great"s and no, I'm not going to tell you which ones! :lol:
Louise Barr Col B 89–96 | Frog Box Design
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Richard Ruck wrote:
Maybe the more bl**dy and gory, the better! Please let us know how your sessions go.

midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Nothing pertinent to add, RR except that there is hope on the horizon. A friend told me today that her 6 year old grandson was muttering what sounded like a string of unconnected words. When she told him to speak properly and stop being silly he said it was what they ahd been doing at school. He then went on to inform her "a noun is a naming word, like dog. A verb is a doing word like barks. An adjective is a describing word like black" GRAMMAR RULES OK
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.