Current reading matter

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

cj wrote:
Hendrik wrote:The Dan Brown books. Much in the same way as with Michael Moore, people jumped on the "Oh-my-God-he's-amazing" bandwagon when he first started publishing, and then three years later jumped on the "go-f*ck-yourself-no-one-ever-liked-you-in-the-first-place-bandwagon". I've read them and think they are brilliant. Though if you are Catholic you will no doubt burn in the eternal fires of Hell for reading The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons.
On a side note, whoever chose Tom Hanks to star in the film MUST be shot. He's a good actor but anyone who's read The Da Vinci Code would know that Harrison Ford would have been a better choice for this type of role.
We read The Da Vinci Code 2 summers ago. It was the perfect holiday read - brilliant story-line, rollercoaster pace, plenty of action and a bit trashy. And (speaking as a paid up member of the C of E), I thoroughly approve of anything that makes the church get its knickers in a twist!! We're going to see the film, but like Hendrik, not at all sure about Tom Hanks being Robert Langdon. Bums on seats, I suspect, as HF is pushing on a bit now.
I think the story is brilliant - I have no idea why the Catholics and Opus Dei are making so much fuss - maybe they do have something to hide! ;)
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Great Plum wrote:
I think the story is brilliant - I have no idea why the Catholics and Opus Dei are making so much fuss - maybe they do have something to hide! ;)
I think the fuss is as much about the double standards that exist regarding satirising or criticising different religions as much as the actual content of the book and film.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

DavebytheSea wrote:I hate that cockney mispronounciation of my name!
Oh very witty !

I had to re-read my post twice to get your drift.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Rory
Deputy Grecian

Post by Rory »

Currently reading a really strange but good book called
The Wind Up Bird Chronicle
by a Japanese bloke called Haruki Murakami
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Great Plum wrote:
cj wrote:
Hendrik wrote:The Dan Brown books. Much in the same way as with Michael Moore, people jumped on the "Oh-my-God-he's-amazing" bandwagon when he first started publishing, and then three years later jumped on the "go-f*ck-yourself-no-one-ever-liked-you-in-the-first-place-bandwagon". I've read them and think they are brilliant. Though if you are Catholic you will no doubt burn in the eternal fires of Hell for reading The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons.
On a side note, whoever chose Tom Hanks to star in the film MUST be shot. He's a good actor but anyone who's read The Da Vinci Code would know that Harrison Ford would have been a better choice for this type of role.
We read The Da Vinci Code 2 summers ago. It was the perfect holiday read - brilliant story-line, rollercoaster pace, plenty of action and a bit trashy. And (speaking as a paid up member of the C of E), I thoroughly approve of anything that makes the church get its knickers in a twist!! We're going to see the film, but like Hendrik, not at all sure about Tom Hanks being Robert Langdon. Bums on seats, I suspect, as HF is pushing on a bit now.
We are now the proud owners of a set of Da Vinci Code Top Trumps cards!!! How cool is that. Hubby and I played after tea last night, with bemused children looking on. Incidentally, I won, ha ha!!
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

cj wrote:We read The Da Vinci Code 2 summers ago. It was the perfect holiday read - brilliant story-line, rollercoaster pace, plenty of action and a bit trashy.
Quite agree with that assessment - we bought it at Heathrow before a flight to Borneo- it seemed a lot of words for the pennies. The hype in UK started while we were away we had not even heard of it when bought.

Currently I am finishing The Labyrinth by Kate Mosse bought in a similar vein for trip to NZ, but didn't finish while I was away.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Rory
Deputy Grecian

Post by Rory »

The cat is still missing
Now his wife's left him
Creta says she's now only a prostitute of the mind
and he's sitting in the bottom of a dry well in central Tokyo thinking about life.......
Tim_MaA_MidB
Deputy Grecian

Post by Tim_MaA_MidB »

Anyone read Tom Rankin?

I'm reading some Iain M. Banks books atm after they were recommended.
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

AKAP wrote:"A short history of tractors in Ukranian" by Marina Lewycka.
Ignore the title, if you have elderly relatives it will make you laugh and it will make you cry.
Brilliant read.
My wife has just started reading this as her bed time book. Trouble is she can't help laughing out loud and stoping me dropping off.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

AKAP wrote:
AKAP wrote:"A short history of tractors in Ukranian" by Marina Lewycka.
Ignore the title, if you have elderly relatives it will make you laugh and it will make you cry.
Brilliant read.
My wife has just started reading this as her bed time book. Trouble is she can't help laughing out loud and stoping me dropping off.
I enjoyed it as 'Book at Bedtime' on Radio 4 earlier this year; haven't actually read it though.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Tim_MaA_MidB wrote:Anyone read Tom Rankin?

I'm reading some Iain M. Banks books atm after they were recommended.
Me, me , me.

Fantastic stuff.

Not so keen on Ian Rankin though.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

What about Robert Rankin? (" Snuff Fiction", "Raiders of the lost Car Park" etc...)

How many Rankins are there????
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

6 on page 1 of google
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

One after the other in order of importanc?
Tim_MaA_MidB
Deputy Grecian

Post by Tim_MaA_MidB »

When I mentioned Tom Rankin I meant Tom Holt and Robert Rankin. :?

... too much medicinal red wine I think. :wink: