Current reading matter

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Oh come on, Mary! I can give you a map if you don't know the road.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I was given one when I left CH.

Talking of which, were Grecians given either a concordance or Hymns A & M and are they still?

And what happens with pupils of other faiths?
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

englishangel wrote:I was given one when I left CH.

Talking of which, were Grecians given either a concordance or Hymns A & M and are they still?

And what happens with pupils of other faiths?
They get given a bible and a Book of Common Prayer. I assume that if you are another faith, you still get the same thing, as it is a Christian school and foundation...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Has anyone read anything by Chris Simms (Peele during the 80s and son of Mr S)? I fell across his website by accident - he writes psychological thrillers. I wonder, are there m/any published OB authors out there and has anyone read them?
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

http://www.chassociation.org/oldblues/b ... blications

Plenty here.

Amanda McIlwain (2's 1965-1973) (older sister of David and Kate) has written books on Japanese gardens, in her married name which escapes me.

At school she was obsessed with archaeology, especially finding Troy.
Last edited by englishangel on Thu May 11, 2006 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Funnily enough, have just finished reading Chris`s -"Outside the White Lines" - you can borrow it if you like!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Mrs C. wrote:Funnily enough, have just finished reading Chris`s -"Outside the White Lines" - you can borrow it if you like!
What did you think?

Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

cj wrote:Has anyone read anything by Chris Simms (Peele during the 80s and son of Mr S)? I fell across his website by accident - he writes psychological thrillers.
I would be interested in reading his books as I knew him and was in the same class as him for English & Polecon A level. I actually picked up a copy of one his books in the libabry this week but didn't take it out as I know I haven't got time to read a book for a few weeks :roll:
Last edited by Vonny on Thu May 11, 2006 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

cj wrote:
Mrs C. wrote:Funnily enough, have just finished reading Chris`s -"Outside the White Lines" - you can borrow it if you like!
What did you think?
Quite enjoyed it - one of those "have to keep reading to find out what happens" books.

Got it off Ebay by the way!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I should'nt admit this, but amongst other books I collected from the library today, was 'Hollywood Wives' by Jackie Collins.

Purely to see if its as sensual as some people say, you understand !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

We do! We do! Of course we understand, JR. :)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I knew I shoudn't have mentioned it !

To keep you happy, Dave, one of the other books was 'Dive In The Sun' by Douglas Reeman.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

I hate that cockney mispronounciation of my name!
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

not really current to be honest but:

In a Land of Plenty - Tim Pears. The BBC did a televised version which was awful. The book is the best thing I have ever, ever read.

The Moon's a Balloon - Autobiography of David Niven. Superb, came across it by chance in Mid B house library. I had never heard of him until I saw the book.

The Dan Brown books. Much in the same way as with Michael Moore, people jumped on the "Oh-my-God-he's-amazing" bandwagon when he first started publishing, and then three years later jumped on the "go-f*ck-yourself-no-one-ever-liked-you-in-the-first-place-bandwagon". I've read them and think they are brilliant. Though if you are Catholic you will no doubt burn in the eternal fires of Hell for reading The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons.
On a side note, whoever chose Tom Hanks to star in the film MUST be shot. He's a good actor but anyone who's read The Da Vinci Code would know that Harrison Ford would have been a better choice for this type of role.

Michael Moore - See above about bandwagons. Loved the books, which are much better referenced than the articles by idiots who criticise him for "bad referencing".
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Hendrik wrote:The Dan Brown books. Much in the same way as with Michael Moore, people jumped on the "Oh-my-God-he's-amazing" bandwagon when he first started publishing, and then three years later jumped on the "go-f*ck-yourself-no-one-ever-liked-you-in-the-first-place-bandwagon". I've read them and think they are brilliant. Though if you are Catholic you will no doubt burn in the eternal fires of Hell for reading The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons.
On a side note, whoever chose Tom Hanks to star in the film MUST be shot. He's a good actor but anyone who's read The Da Vinci Code would know that Harrison Ford would have been a better choice for this type of role.
We read The Da Vinci Code 2 summers ago. It was the perfect holiday read - brilliant story-line, rollercoaster pace, plenty of action and a bit trashy. And (speaking as a paid up member of the C of E), I thoroughly approve of anything that makes the church get its knickers in a twist!! We're going to see the film, but like Hendrik, not at all sure about Tom Hanks being Robert Langdon. Bums on seats, I suspect, as HF is pushing on a bit now.