My local gym and its blatantly sexist policy - bah humbug!!!

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Is my gym's policy sexist?

Yes of course it is Marty and they should scrap it immediately - the fiends!
72%
No, I disagree with you Marty
11%
Stop wasting my time with these silly polls
17%

Total votes: 18

Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

" the Life of Brian" comes irrepressibly to mind here...
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Euterpe13 wrote:" the Life of Brian" comes irrepressibly to mind here...
NOT AGAIN !!!!

You'll start RR off !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Euterpe13 wrote:- transgender women
Splitters!
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I TOLD YOU !!!!!!!
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Euterpe13 wrote:
J.R. wrote:
Hendrik wrote: err, no. blacks are at least a minority and feel underepresented. women make up 52% of the population!

it is sexist. it may well be something to do with muslim women. a local swimming pool near here was being heckled by the muslim community (and gave in, before being heckled more by everyone else) to have one evening a week where only muslim women could swim.

now THAT is rediculous
I think you'll find that its also Racist !!!

(........reaches for a copy of the 'Race Relations Act')
indeed - and I trust that all the non-muslim women will immediately lodge a complaint !
Just a legal point.
Muslim is a religion and therfore not covered by the race relations act.
I know the government discussed bringing in a religious discrimination act but I didn't think they had done so yet (it is frought with difficulties, i.e how do you define religion, and I got the impression that they were just going to let it quietly dissappear.)
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

My apologies, looks like the government did implement the Religious Discrimination act in 2003
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

I disagree with having a Race Discrimination Act, a Religious Discrimination Act and a Sex Discrimination Act. There should only be a Discrimination Act. This would cover EVERYTHING.

I'm off down the gym now - hopefully they'll let me in...
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

Euterpe13 wrote:We would then have to build a second pool for the various men's groups...

All in the name of political correction ...
BUT, it would get the nation doing more swimming (if only just to spite other ethnic groups) and it would provide jobs for the boys (and, err, girls) :wink:

seriously though, the muslim women didn't want an evening because they don't like other religions, more because only other muslim women can see them unveiled. still absurd.
all these problems because people still believe in fairies...

maybe they should have a "people-who-just-want-to-effing-swim" night.
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Hendrik wrote:
Euterpe13 wrote:We would then have to build a second pool for the various men's groups...

BUT, it would get the nation doing more swimming (if only just to spite other ethnic groups) and it would provide jobs for the boys (and, err, girls) :wink:

seriously though, the muslim women didn't want an evening because they don't like other religions, more because only other muslim women can see them unveiled. still absurd.all these problems because people still believe in fairies...

One presumes that this means that any woman wanting to swim on that night would have to prove that she was a muslim ( just taking the logical conclusion here...) - if that isn't sectarianism, I don't know what is ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Hendrik wrote:

seriously though, the muslim women didn't want an evening because they don't like other religions, more because only other muslim women can see them unveiled. still absurd.
all these problems because people still believe in fairies...

So Muslim women don't mind swimming in front of fairies ?

Doesn't this fly in the face of discrimination against sexual orientation ?
Laura M
Deputy Grecian

Post by Laura M »

I do think the idea of a women only night is absurd but some women are very insecure (clearly did not benefit from an education where the whole person is encouraged to blosson not just become a stick insect) and do probably feel more comfortable in an all female enviroment.
Seriously fellas would you honestly go to an all male night at the local gym??? As has previously been stated it would be a little Village People.

However, at least your gym is predominantly unisex, how many all male clubs are there throughout the country what about the Freemasons I know they have a womens bit now but it still seems a little demeaning.

In conclusion therefore, I think we are just going to have to accept that these inequalities are going to exist whatever. (and now for the rampant femminist bit) Just remember fellas that women faced discrimination for hundreds of years!!
Two men lying in a bed, one rolled over to the other and said, 'I'm gonna lead me a life of danger, I'm gonna marry a WESSEX RANGER!'
BaA 97-03 GrW 03-04
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Laura M wrote:I do think the idea of a women only night is absurd but some women are very insecure (clearly did not benefit from an education where the whole person is encouraged to blosson not just become a stick insect) and do probably feel more comfortable in an all female enviroment.
Seriously fellas would you honestly go to an all male night at the local gym??? As has previously been stated it would be a little Village People.

However, at least your gym is predominantly unisex, how many all male clubs are there throughout the country what about the Freemasons I know they have a womens bit now but it still seems a little demeaning.

In conclusion therefore, I think we are just going to have to accept that these inequalities are going to exist whatever. (and now for the rampant femminist bit) Just remember fellas that women faced discrimination for hundreds of years!!

Is that why they wear an apron ??????? :oops:
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

Laura M wrote:In conclusion therefore, I think we are just going to have to accept that these inequalities are going to exist whatever. (and now for the rampant femminist bit) Just remember fellas that women faced discrimination for hundreds of years!!
Laura, I'm afraid Stephen Hawking stands up better than that argument! I disagree that we HAVE to accept that inequalities are going to exist - the suffragettes certainly didn't (JR - please no references to Lord Flashheart!) Just because women suffered discrimination this should not mean that they have a green light to start discriminating against men - two wrongs do not make a right! It's no good replacing one kind of discrimination with another otherwise society will just keep making the same mistakes again and again! OK some inequalities are unavoidable but the situation with my gym isn't - they could quite easily choose to implement a fairer policy. Incidentally I still haven't heard back from them...
Laura M
Deputy Grecian

Post by Laura M »

I agree two wrongs don't make a right, but as long as women are getting paid less than men etc, I think a small thing like getting upset over a women only night at the gym is daft, why don't you devote your spare time to packing aid parcels for oxfam if you wish to make the world a better place.
Two men lying in a bed, one rolled over to the other and said, 'I'm gonna lead me a life of danger, I'm gonna marry a WESSEX RANGER!'
BaA 97-03 GrW 03-04
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

Laura M wrote:I agree two wrongs don't make a right, but as long as women are getting paid less than men etc, I think a small thing like getting upset over a women only night at the gym is daft, why don't you devote your spare time to packing aid parcels for oxfam if you wish to make the world a better place.
I don't quite get your point, Laura. What am saying is that you should challenge inequality if and when you come up against it. For example if you're being paid less than male colleagues you should definitely kick up a fuss. I don't think it's fair to 'guilt trip' me by saying I should start devoting time to Oxfam! Yes maybe my personal experience is not a life and death situation such as in Africa but it doesn't make it any less valid.