More On Health

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Should the NHS fund alternative Treatments?

YES if clinically beneficial
85%
NO conventional medicine does the same job
8%
TO quote Marty Stop wasting my time with polls!!!
8%

Total votes: 13

Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

I can't help but feel a bit cynical about all this.

I used to play cricket with a guy who worked as a rep for a major drugs company. The drugs company paid GPs to order and prescribe their products.

This was admittedly some years ago but if this situation still applies then could the opposition of the doctors to alternative therapies be based on fear of losing income from the drug companies rather than strictly clinical reasons?
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Mid A 15 wrote:I can't help but feel a bit cynical about all this.

I used to play cricket with a guy who worked as a rep for a major drugs company. The drugs company paid GPs to order and prescribe their products.

This was admittedly some years ago but if this situation still applies then could the opposition of the doctors to alternative therapies be based on fear of losing income from the drug companies rather than strictly clinical reasons?
That's a question for Toby Kibble. He hasn't posted for a while, but he does flog drugs for a living, so he'll be able to answer this.

I'll have a word.......
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Good point.
It is not in the drugs companies interest to pay for research into alternative therapies.
Hence no research gets done and they remain unproved.
Hardly a basis to reject them.
BTaylor
Deputy Grecian

Post by BTaylor »

AKAP wrote:

Good point.
It is not in the drugs companies interest to pay for research into alternative therapies.

Hence no research gets done and they remain unproved.
Hardly a basis to reject them.

I don' think anyone is saying that they should be rejected. Just that an NHS that needs to make every penny count should only prescribe what is proven to work.

There are plenty of private practitioners if people feel strongly enough about trying alternative solutions.
Thornton 85-92
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I spent some time recently with a militant homeopath - very scary! If I know paracetomol will get rid of my headache, please let me take it. You can do whatever you like, I won't stop anyone else trying anything they believe will help them, but please let me do my own thing in peace.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965