Isn't there a football competition starting?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

http://tonaz.altervista.org/zidane.html

I think it's shameful that the person with the worst disciplinary record in the tournament is voted the most outstanding player. Whilst bookings are all very entertaining it's worth noting that the Holland v Portugal match alone contained more yellow & red cards than were issued in the ENTIRE rugby world cup in 2003. Football needs to clean up its act!
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

marty wrote:http://tonaz.altervista.org/zidane.html

I think it's shameful that the person with the worst disciplinary record in the tournament is voted the most outstanding player. Whilst bookings are all very entertaining it's worth noting that the Holland v Portugal match alone contained more yellow & red cards than were issued in the ENTIRE rugby world cup in 2003. Football needs to clean up its act!
and another quote:

"Rugby is a game for thugs played by gentlemen, football is a game for gentlemen played by thugs."

Don't hope for too long given the sort the game attracts (names of prominent world cup "stars" deleted)
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

marty wrote:http://tonaz.altervista.org/zidane.html

QUITE RIGHT, MARTY !

Personally, I think they should have given the award to Fiona !!!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Wuppertal
GE (Great Erasmus)

zizou

Post by Wuppertal »

Euterpe13 wrote:Zizou has only one trigger-point, and that is his family and roots. The Italians had been gunning for him right from the start of the match, and I lost count of the number of un-called fouls against him .
I was really impressed by Zizou's interview that he gave on French TV yesterday; and some of what he said, I actually wish I had thought of saying when trying to defend myself in certain situations:

"I can't regret it because if I do it would be like admitting that he was right to say all that. And above all, it was not right.

We always talk about the reaction, and inevitably it must be punished. But if there is no provocation, there is no reaction.

First of all you have to say there is provocation, and the guilty one is the one who does the provoking. The response is to always punish the reaction, but if I react, something has happened."

It even almost makes me think more of him because it's such a good point that he made, and this even applies to one or two incidents I had at CH: when someone had provoked me, I reacted, then I got in a lot of trouble and the original person in the wrong was treated not only as innocent, but as a victim - I absolutely abhor that attitude that almost all teachers seem to have, and I've always believed that the provoker deserves at the very least an equal punishment to the person who reacts, but generally deserves more.

IF the Italian did say all those alleged things, I don't see why Zizou should face any backlash - he shouldn't be praised in the slightest for what he did, but definitely shouldn't be condemned for sticking up for his family, and after all, he has suffered abuse at a certain scale because of his origins for the whole of his career.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: zizou

Post by Katharine »

Wuppertal wrote:We always talk about the reaction, and inevitably it must be punished. But if there is no provocation, there is no reaction.

First of all you have to say there is provocation, and the guilty one is the one who does the provoking. The response is to always punish the reaction, but if I react, something has happened.

It even almost makes me think more of him because it's such a good point that he made, and this even applies to one or two incidents I had at CH: when someone had provoked me, I reacted, then I got in a lot of trouble and the original person in the wrong was treated not only as innocent, but as a victim - I absolutely abhor that attitude that almost all teachers seem to have, and I've always believed that the provoker deserves at the very least an equal punishment to the person who reacts
When our boys were small we had to learn how to cope with this. The younger boy (Patrick) was a wordsmith at a very early age (still is) the elder (Jeremy) is severely dyslexic but we did not know that at the time. I don't know how many times Patrick goaded big brother and Jeremy hit out. Who deserves the punishment? Most often they were both told off and physically separated for a while. Quite definitely they were both at fault, but Patrick was almost always the instigator.

I often remember those days when reading about incidents such as Zizou's.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I have just had exactly the same thing with two of mine.

Unfortunately my daughter is the instigator (almost always) but is totally unable to realise this, and tonight she has ended up with a black eye as her brother caught her glasses.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"